Thread: So?

Thanks

Talking So?

Tell me what u think
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why you deleted your last thread, or was it moved somewhere?

My thoughts on this piece are the same as before. I think you should stick to your traditional medium, it's worlds better. Specifically, it's more obvious that this isn't an intentional stylistic choice. Instead it's just you not being able to control your medium competently.

Thanks
    can you give a more comprehensive review....sounds like a canned critique

Thanks
    Thanked 6,641 Times in 4,575 Posts

Thanks
    I would, but I'm not sure if this thread will disappear too! Plus this is this second time I've posted on this picture.

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized it was in the Sketchbook section! Silly me, but why do you have the same picture here and under Sketchbooks? Looking at your most recent post sums up what I think pretty well. Your brush strokes are much more controlled and intentional in your traditional canvas pieces. With digital it doesn't look like what you're doing is thought out. I'd liken this piece to something a high schooler doodles in their coding class because they're bored.
    Last edited by MattyT; 1 Week Ago at 10:36 AM.

Thanks
    In general you should avoid full profile especially if you have the light coming from almost the same direction as the viewer. Good lighting should describe the forms never flatten them. The top of her chin, and the tip of her nose are also twisted toward us in perspective. The line below her jaw is too heavy and the lines on her neck don't correspond to any known human anatomy. For color, I think I might play with making her face more green so as to have a good transition from warm to cool colors, but before that I would also say you have more of the spectrum of warm to cool colors present than I would actually recommend.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    You guys know this is Dotcov right? He returns.

Thanks
    seems he's moved on to digital now.

Thanks
    I considered the slightly offensive criticism about having an untrained hand which went against all my schooling and revamped this. most of the former was rushed because i got tired. this is a little more refined.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I think it looked better before... it's still symbol drawing, but less interesting symbol drawing.

Thanks
    Everything around her face looks kind of... undefined. And different objects do not connect well to each other (like the neck anatomy mention above).
    If you go for stylized flat-colored hair in the first version you should REALLY work on your lines and shapes (and colors) some more. Clean them up or go vector. It doesn't have to be perfect of course, but right now this quality of line-work is just distracting.
    If you want to make it look more realistic define the volumes as you did for the face.

I think it'll look nice if you treat the WHOLE thing (stylized or not) with the same level of attention.

Thanks
    I'm sorry you were slightly offended, but the truth hurts I guess. It's a little bit better without the weird thunderbolts and the scribbles in her hair. What's the 777 supposed to be though? Does it mean anything or is it just there because it 'looked cool' in the moment? I honestly think you just need to practice painting more; all the schooling in the world can't save you from making a bad drawing.

Assuming this all isn't a joke, this piece isn't very good. Humbling yourself just a little bit can take you a long way.

Thanks
    Thank god you added the 7s, its much harder to get away with the way you do shading and volume in a digital medium, back with your traditional paintings it was easier to see it as stylisation.

Thanks
    Matt, You think it’s a joke?

i seen you give way more constructive criticism to absolute crap on this board. What givens

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tenchi24 View Post
    Thank god you added the 7s, its much harder to get away with the way you do shading and volume in a digital medium, back with your traditional paintings it was easier to see it as stylisation.
    i actually think digital is much easier

Thanks
    Digital is easier to pick up and use because you don't have any paints, brushes, or canvases to deal with. What they're saying is that it's a lot harder to make your stylization convincing without the spontaneity of a traditional medium. Looking at this doesn't convince me that this is your intentional style, and not just lack of skill. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's something you'll need to accept to improve.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by illastrat View Post
    Matt, You think it’s a joke?

i seen you give way more constructive criticism to absolute crap on this board. What givens
    I've never given critique to absolute crap, and I don't give critique to people I don't think could improve. You asked what people think, and I'm giving you my opinion.

Thanks
    That’s fair but you could’ve done without all the smart offensive comments. I don’t care what my art looks like etc. I want to know how to improve.

Thanks
    I wasn't trying to get a rise out of you or anything, but if it came out that way I'm sorry. I did give you some advice, in that I think you should get back to basics and practice figure painting more.

Thanks
    Matt you're new, so you don't know there's a lot of history with our friend here. Don't bother fighting it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Matt don't waste your time and breath, this guy was here before, finally got banned and now he's back. He's either outworldy dense/self centered or a really high level troll(apparently he's been doing this for years), its mostly a joke that stopped being funny after first few times.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GetsugaDante For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 44