Thanks

Red face First big digital illustration

Name:  til kritik.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  189.6 KB
    hello! I'm pretty new to digital art and would like some critique. The piece is called "the muse".
    It's for the theme "mythology", but I'm a bit concerned that it's not apparent enough that the girl on the right is supposed to be a greek muse for art.
    Any help is greatly appriciated.

edit: thanks for all the replies! IIt has been really helpful.
    Last edited by aprisun; 1 Week Ago at 05:06 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I can't see an image. Sounds interesting though.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    haha, thanks. I can't seem to make the image function work (keep saying invalid or not show up), but if you're still interested here's a link:

https://imgur.com/a/y8HabRw

Thanks
    It has a lot of potential. I would separate the values of the girl at the window from the background, she blends into it too much. I think if she was positioned closer to the center she would read more as the muse of the painting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misterdistant For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I really like it, but the image in the cloud is a little too messy for me.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The unicorn clouds could use a lot more structure to make them out easier. Also, they're both so close to the top of the frame. It's like you're trying to squeeze them up there when there's so much space in that wide open window. I'd bring them down closer to the window's center, give them more structure / definitive edges, and do something to differentiate the clouds with the spirit girl to the right.

Also, what is the focal point of this illustration? The Huion monitor, the fairy girl, or the unicorn clouds? All three are competing right now, and your image will be a lot stronger if you pick one and subdue the others. Monitor > Unicorns > Fairy makes the most sense to me, and it'll give your finished piece a nice directional curve for your eye to follow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm just thinking aloud here, but I'd make the muse more playful. Maybe have hear reclined against the window frame with a leg stretched out and smelling a cup of hot tea or something. Maybe watering a plant or petting the cat.

She just looks like she's in a hurry for the artist to get done.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

12. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback! My initial idea was that the girl was supposed to be part of the cloud but I realize that it doesn't really make sense if you take the distance into account. Should I try to make her darker to fit her into the middle ground?

How do you make one point a focal point? I did try to make the piece have a curve from monitor > unicorn > fairy, but the outside is really bright compared to the inside which kinda takes the focus of the piece from the monitor.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply! I'll try to seperate her more so sh'es easier to see. I'm just worried that it will break the "flow"/curve of the image if I moved her into the middle?

Thanks
    I hadn't considered that, but you're right. It would add a lot to give her a bit personality. Thanks for answering.

Thanks
    Here's my 2 cents..
    If the one figure is the goddess muse, she would be the cause of the inspiration: shapes in the clouds. If you showed her doing something like blowing a kiss that makes the unicorns in the clouds, it would better connect her to it. and would only require a change in the one hand, and face. Secondly, if the artist is creating from the images in the clouds, they could be more concretely reflected in the artists work on the screen.
    Third, i agree muse doesn't read right away. A slight hue shift, or shading around her would bring her out.
    Hope this helps.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omecca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi
    It's a really cool idea.
    What I don't get is where she standing at ?
    where should be the edge of the table ?
    I don't get the perspective that you have here ...

Thanks
    Are you using reference what haven't said that sticks to my eye is way she's holding stylus and some anatomical issues as well, cannot say about horses as haven't really touched subject yet but human needs bit work but in end it got lot of potential to be cool image

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post: