Thanks

Heroic figure, anatomy and contour critique

Name:  Heroine4.6Test.png
Views: 842
Size:  429.6 KB

Hi Everyone! I have a figure here halfway-done, and wanted to get a good lookover to help me identify the big issues to correct before I keep going;

Figures are one of my weaker areas, so I can only expect there are some critical issues.

----------------------

-How does the anatomy look? How do her general proportions feel to you (given she is stylized)? She is intended to be slightly burly for a female figure as well, but also within believable levels.

-Tried to get some foreshortening in there (the forearm, front foot are advancing in perspective; does it feel successful?

-How does the general contouring feel?

-What are the big problem areas to work on?

----------------------

I appreciate the feedback in advance, I always have a great time on this forum!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The anatomy needs a lot of work, if that's one of your primary concerns. The manga/anime influence cant really hide it either. Before you think I'm about to bash you for being inspired by the Japanese, I'm one of the folks who don't have any issues with it - if it's done well.

The biggest issues for me are her arms. The shield arm looks dislocated by the shoulder with how far away it is from her head, although that MIGHT be due to the cloth / hair covering it. Still, it's up to you to make sure that disconnect doesn't happen with your viewer. The sword forearm is also much longer / bigger than the shield forearm, I'd say more than what foreshortening would allow. The shield hand is definitely smaller for sure.

I'm guessing you sketched this picture as is and then inked it? Next time draw your figure as if they were "nude" first and then draw the clothes on them. That'll help you a lot, especially with the motion of the drapery.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyt View Post
    The anatomy needs a lot of work, if that's one of your primary concerns. The manga/anime influence cant really hide it either. Before you think I'm about to bash you for being inspired by the Japanese, I'm one of the folks who don't have any issues with it - if it's done well.

The biggest issues for me are her arms. The shield arm looks dislocated by the shoulder with how far away it is from her head, although that MIGHT be due to the cloth / hair covering it. Still, it's up to you to make sure that disconnect doesn't happen with your viewer. The sword forearm is also much longer / bigger than the shield forearm, I'd say more than what foreshortening would allow. The shield hand is definitely smaller for sure.

I'm guessing you sketched this picture as is and then inked it? Next time draw your figure as if they were "nude" first and then draw the clothes on them. That'll help you a lot, especially with the motion of the drapery.
    I am not actually big with Anime-type styles myself, but working on an application where it seemed to be a good fit.

Yeah, the picture in this case, while done with skeletal considerations and loose sketching, definitely would have benefited from starting as a nude figure. I will go back and do that as an overlay, and see what obvious problems it reveals... It is an obvious answer, and something I should have done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    Ok, here is that exercise: I drew the form underneath, and then started making some changes on the right; what stuff do you guys think I should focus on fixing , in terms of the underlying figure here? Redlines would be amazing, if anyone wanted to take a quick minute!

Name:  Heroine4.6Test2.png
Views: 563
Size:  391.2 KB

Thanks
    Draw her spine; nothing fancy, just a line. Draw where it connects to the base of her head and down through the curve of her back, all the way to her pelvis.

The spine is the single most important thing to understand in drawing the human figure. Get some reference for this task as well. Then spend some time drawing it. Granted, your success in drawing will still be pretty limited, but that's why you practice.

As a final piece of advice: don't allow yourself to focus on small details. Focus on the feeling of the curves and draw that feeling you get. Just let your eyes go soft and trust yourself to draw what you're looking at. The trick is in remembering to do that. Well, that and lots of practice. Don't worry if it looks like crap. That's not the point.

Happy drawing!
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    Ok, so I reduced the forearm, reduced the size of the sword arm a bit, pulled it in, better defined the back shoulder massing wise with the cloth, tried to remedy the "disloacted" placement, reveal a bit more of her waist to give a better sense for the motion of her spine and the where her form is located with respect to the poncho, I corrected the error at her waist with the belt being much too wide, adjusted her legs (the back one felt like the thigh was too long), tried to emphasize her upper sword arm / scapula a bit more more through the poncho shadows. Would you guys say it is looking better than before? What additional major anatomical changes may be left to do?

Name:  Heroine4.6Test3.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  65.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    To correctly mount skull and arms, add shoulder blades and spine.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sure, but I think it should be clear that I may not see the issues there really are with those points of interest, hence why I haven't corrected them yet.

For instance, looking at the most recent revision sketch (on the right) in what sense would you say the arms are incorrectly mounted as they currently are? Like are the shoulder blades too far from the spine? Is the shield-side shoulder blade too displaced outward?

How should the skull be adjusted?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Where are you applying to?

I'd leave this alone for now. There are too many fundamental issues with the anatomy that need to be addressed in order to bring this somewhere presentable. Assuming you're applying to a school or a job, I wouldn't show this as one of your pieces. Draw studies of nude figures to get a better grasp of anatomical structure. I think what's messing you up here is that the pose you went for is somewhat complex, with the twisting motion of her upper body,

Assuming you still wanna stick with it: Stop working from your imagination and find nude reference similar to the pose you're going for. If you can't find one, take a picture of yourself in the same pose and work from there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you should learn construction Andrew Loomis has book about it and Proko (youtube channel) is great sources

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Matt!

I meant application in terms of a synonym for "usage". I should probably start this figure over, sticking more closely to actual reference poses. I am clearly too inexperienced with figures to be doing it off the dome like this, I fully agree! Will be back with the sequel soon!

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip stonec! I will checkout those resources soon (the channel especially, because of obvious accessibility).