Thread: Tim Burton

Thanks

Tim Burton

I have a chance to visit Tom s Burton exhibition, I have heard a lots of pozitive feedbacks on his production, the way he is using his creativity made him famous and succesful, well he became famous in 90s already, I was a little boy back then.

I would like to just start by this thread and discussion of opinions on his production, what people visiting concept art forum think of him, it will be very intresting, I do myself try to improve my sketching drawing skills and this discussion might bring interesting view on surface, I think.

What s your opinion on him? His pieces? Why he became famous?

Thank you.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    There is a lot I like about his art, I am just fed up of corpses and Johnny Depp with black eyeliner...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I never seen another Jack Skellington merchandise again, it'll be too soon.

Jokes aside, he did have some pretty neat ideas back in the day. Beetlejuice is one of my favourite movies, and the Batman movies he worked on are great (probably because he made the crew build a set the size of Gotham). I just think he's a bit overrated/over saturated. I don't think he's done anything particularly interesting or notable since the 90s. His claymation style is also not really my thing.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Can you give example of artists in his time you find more creative more succesful?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tr79 View Post
    Can you give example of artists in his time you find more creative more succesful?
    Creative is totally subjective, and if you mean by successful just $$$$, I don't care. I can find many artists I appreciate more than Burton, but that is pretty meaningless to others. A personal favourite mostly unknown outside Europe is André Franquin, but I don't believe he died as a rich man.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thank your to all who are contributing on this thread. Thank you for your time. My opinion is that his way of creating art pieces are, were so new to public that it brought success, his comical view on scary and spooky things must have somehow encouraging effect that people are craving so much. Well i do not agree with fame he gained through how much profit his pieces brought, but thats the result of how our society work. I do find him a big artist.

My another question would be to you (i dont know so many artists), wether you know similar artist to t. burton who works with sketches, graphic design or producing movies and compare it to him, because he seems in a way in a special group... are there similar artist to him in his age? that influence also yours develepment and production? who?

thank you

Thanks
    He certainly had a hand in mainstreaming Gothic-comedy films, his own influence such as the Addams Family were already in the public eye for decades. I'm not going to compare other artists to him, that's a futile discussion on differing aesthetic priorities, but to name someone in similar age people know of...Guillermo del Toro?
    Other artists who have worked with multiple media? Frank Miller, Don Bluth, Ralph Bakshi, Terry Gillam, Ray Harryhausen
    Randomly noted artists: Ian Miller, John Blanche (like or hate his art), Brom, Wayne Barlowe, Jean Giraud (moebius)...

Thanks
    I think his work in the early 90s is his best stuff...although I never saw Pee Wee's Big Adventure and I know that's a cult classic of sorts.
    Most of his work from that period I believe holds up, but I also think it started to go downhill with Sleepy Hollow and has gotten progressively worse/repetitive/predictable.

I get that's he's married to Helena Bonham Carter - but I'm not sure when he married Johnny Depp.
    But hey - most of his movies do well in the box office and honestly I think that's where we get the tired formula his work has become.

I imagine that this is simply what happens to a lot of creative people who suddenly become very popular and successful.
    There's a huge demand for a wellspring that's more or less tapped out.

In his position I'd have probably ended up in similar circumstances.
    I've never undertstood why millionaires don't retire.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHubbell View Post
    I imagine that this is simply what happens to a lot of creative people who suddenly become very popular and successful.
    There's a huge demand for a wellspring that's more or less tapped out.

In his position I'd have probably ended up in similar circumstances.
    I've never undertstood why millionaires don't retire.
    I think it has to do with more money, you have used less risk you can take and with creativity you have to take risks pull it off
    Last edited by stonec; 6 Days Ago at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    I've enjoyed many of the films of Tim Burton. Definiteley those that are really in his characteristic gothic ouevre like Sweeney Todd or Beetlejuice. but I've also found that his more mainstream films ala Planet of the Apes, Big Fish and so on were skilfully crafted.

However I'm just going to throw this out there, but was Alice in Wonderland one of the crappest films ever made or is it just me?

Thanks
    Alice in Wonderland isn't a lot crappier than the rest, but it is too loosely based on a famous story to be credible.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Oh, I didn't hate it for that, though I certainly know what you mean.

I think a film has to be different from the book because the mediums require different narrative structures. Sometimes that is wildly so, like Starship Troopers. Deep and interesting book, hilariously good movie with a completely different plot and theme. Sometimes just edited and compressed because books are way longer than movies. Sometimes improved because authors aren't always the best plot writers. Like Tolkien and Peter Jackson's version.

Do you think Alice in Wonderland took it too far though?

Thanks
    I've never been a huge fan of his. Not because I dislike his work, it's just that I've only ever seen one of his movies: A Nightmare Before Christmas. Obviously the stop-motion isn't as smooth as more recent pictures like Anomalisa or Isle of Dogs, but its level of craftsmanship still holds up. The movie is dark, charming, quirky, creative, whimsical, and a bunch of other random buzz words I think whenever I see a project with his name attached to it.

From a purely cynical point of view, he's a recognizable brand.

Luna Moon Guest
    I was visiting one of his exhibitions in 2013. I liked it very much and enjoyed his society criticizing works. It is about much more than Jonny Depp and corpse.