Thanks

Love's Resilience

Love's Resilience- A gay cupid is rising up from the ashes, locked in a battle with the embodiment of hate. The world watches as these two trade blows.

I finally got enough of the value WIP done to share. Comments and Critiques are welcome.

Name:  Loves-Resilience-006.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  303.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Have you ever seen a fight?
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    A pretty embellished summary, but it doesn't carry through in your image. Is cupid coming out of the ground, or is that supposed to be his "battle aura"? I honestly can't tell. Assuming it's intentional, the Christ imagery could be more obvious if we actually saw more of the dark figure than just his back. The illustration isn't as dramatic as you let on, but that could be fixed somewhat by playing up the values - if redoing the composition isn't an option.

Name:  Loves-Resilience-006paintover.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  292.4 KB
    Last edited by MattyT; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:24 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Mattyt I really appreciate the feedback. I am going to go back in and bump up the values as you suggested

Thanks
    I hope I helped. This is unrelated, but are the people in the background holding cameras or phones?

Thanks
    The people in the background are holding both cameras and phones. Yes, your critique was very helpful, thank you. here is the updated painting. I didn't get as dark with the values as you had in your paint-over because I plan to get this printed and I know that it's going to print darker than what I have on the screen.
    Name:  Loves-Resilience-007.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  219.5 KB

Thanks
    i think you should treat those rimlight-edges on the foreground character with more tender-loving-care . just going around the figure and bluring it, is a cheap move and its draging the quality down.

also look at mattyt's op again, if it comes to contrast and more importantly value-grouping, he made some smart moves there. have a look at "notan" and "value grouping".
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    His heart light thing looks more structured than in my op, but I wasn't sure how it was "supposed" to look. In his original WIP it was barely visible, and I assumed it was supposed to be a light source. IS the heart a light source, or is it just magical aura? Right now it's the focal point of your illustration, so that'll need to be addressed.

I should've made sure what your intentions for it were before brightening it up.

Thanks
    Hi Mattyt, originally I was going to just have it be a magical aura, but after you did your paint-over I realized that the piece would be much stronger if I followed your suggestion. I am always open to any suggestions that will make what I have already started to create even better than it was before. I wanna thank you for your help. It wouldn't have been the same piece without your input.
    Name:  LovesResilience.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  364.1 KB

Thanks
    Made some adjustments.
    @sone_one thank you for your feedback I really appreciate it.

Name:  Loves-Resilience3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  371.8 KB