Thread: Painting Newb

Thanks

Painting Newb

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I am new to the whole painting thing pretty much, not to mention digital painting specifically. My paintings are not progressing the way I had hoped. They lack pizzazz. I am guessing that my composition isn't helping, but beyond that, everything, (technique, color, etc.) feels amateurish - which of course I am, but I want to try and avoid staying in that realm. There is so much great art out there and I want to get to that level. I've not posted before because, quite frankly, I've been chicken to. However, lack of growth and frustration with that has made me bite the bullet here. Thank you all in advance for any help I may receive.

Name:  ice-dragon.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  139.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's a cool scene, I like the monster. It's got some problems, but that's okay. I think one of the biggest things you are missing is clear lighting, if you had something a bit more dynamic it would really liven the scene up. Now for some general things, the monster's knee doesn't read very well. I think if you brought some shadow on to it being cast from the wings it would make it make more sense. The rocks are all at weird angles, it looks like you were going for a fisheye lens sort of look but it doesn't really work.The knight's shield is a bit nonsense, it's facing towards us with his arm stretched back, yet somehow it's still in front of his legs? It should be behind for it to make sense.

Anyway, those are some little things to consider, I'm sure someone much more competent at scene structure will come in and offer more of a hand, but that's what I got.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did a very, very rough paintover more to illustrate what you could do with the mood than anything else. My suggestion would be to amp up the intensity of the scene. Make it a blizzard, make the dragon bigger. Show where the snow has piled against. Overall though, I think you should work on this painting until you have an idea or concept that you really like. Then, my suggestion would be to go 3D, whether digital or traditional. Maybe do sculpts of the characters in the scene, set them up in the snow or on sand and take pictures. Maybe use toys as stand ins. I think that by using three dimensional objects on a three dimensional field, you'll get a better understanding of the way the light, terrain, and bodies work more so than by repeatedly drawing the scene over and over, painting and repainting (I'm telling you this from personal experience).

Name:  ice-dragon.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  257.5 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have homework for you.

Google Michelangelo's David. Now just browse through the images until you get a good look at his face and his hands. Observe him and see what he's actually doing. You're from America and more specifically, Texas. So you're familiar with David and Goliath.

What you deduce from his "pose" is what makes this piece a masterpiece. The fact that the anatomy is life-like isn't really the point.

Next examine your piece. What is the warrior doing? If you were in his position, I imagine you'd have your feet planted, shield raised and your sword held ready to strike.

What's he actually doing? He's opened wide in surrender/defiance. Now, you could work that angle and have a deeply moving piece. He could be dropping his shield or something. This is why gesture drawing is important. You need to pay attention to how people move.

Now with all that in mind, what's the beast doing? Well, I can tell you from my experience with animals that it would have its eyes glued to him, teeth bared, hackles raised (if showing dominance and aggression) or it may have its tail tucked between its legs and turned to the side if it recognizes the warrior as being the dominant aggressor. Or it could just be startled. Or it could have attacked him by surprise. In which case the warrior would probably be frantically trying to retrieve his shield.

Art is more than just technical ability. It's technical ability thoughtfully applied.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you all for your comments. They were extremely helpful and thanks for taking it easy on a nervous new guy.