Art: Wolfman
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wolfman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wolfman

I've been staring at this painting far too long to be able to be objective about it. I'd say it's 97% done, but for now I'm at a loss of what to do to give it some more polish. The bottom of the stairwell doesn't quite sit right with me for some reason. Crit me, please!

All those horror movies I've been watching have been getting to me.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice. The legs, feet and arms I like. For the bottom of the stairs I would recommend some shadow. At least on the walls. If it was darker and less obvious perhaps some effect would be achieved if the body is not noticed immidiately.

Don't care for the wolfmans' head much. Looks a little like Seinfelds bald, short friend (you know the TV series??) with a Joker makeup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool. I think you're having a problem with the stairwell, cause there are no stairs...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ew...

Thats just sick. Now I have to do see the Incredibles again to wash my brain out. Heh.

Btw that pose gripped against the wall is So COol!

-Joshua James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it's mostly fine, but- and it's a big one, if you were shooting this scene on a movie camera would you frame it like this? You are dead on symetrical on the stairwell. If you tilted the viewpoint hand held camera style the whole thing would be more dynamic. Also the stair well could run off into shadow with the light pooling on the decapitated corpse, this would help the scary drama of the scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. this pose and gesture is incredible..
    as joshua said.. too sick! gotta see something happy now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know whats worse... knowing this guy is gonna rip your head off or seeing his johnson comin right at ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm... wouldn't the fallus be at a bit of an angle, considering his posture?

http://4hcomic.com
    A webcomic of Apocalyptic proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like this one....it's a really inovative way to pose a character. I don't have much to crit, but I think his head could use some work, the hair on his head looks a little too neat and well-coifed, and maybe he could use more of a lower jaw. It bugs me a bit that both of there head are lined up directly looking at the camera...it might make it more dynamic to have one of them turned away slightly. Finally, maybe a bit more variety in the skin tone and body hair. Strong work dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really appreciate the comments, guys.

carnalizer: Ha! Yeah, it does look a bit like George (I was thinking the same thing as I was painting it), but I kinda like it that way, myself. Since it's a lycanthrop, I figured it might be nice to make it resemble a real person somewhat. I'll definitely take that shadow idea into advisement.

haiku: I'm pretty sure from this angle you wouldn't be able to see any of the stairs.

Joshuathejames: Thanks! And I've only been hearing good things about that movie.

treeshark: I think you're right about angling it a bit... I'll play around with that.

Lim: Thanks, and I think I need a break from this one myself.

se7en: Yeah, it's a bit explicit... but nothing bugs me more when people leave the penis out of male nudes. It's there as much as the rest of it is.

Dementist: You're probably right about that. Not having one myself or interacting with them on a daily basis, can make it a bit more difficult to predict movements.

Blackarts: Thanks for the crit, and I'll take it all under advisement

I'll work on this a bit more later and post an update. Thanks again!

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the dead guy has some neck coming out of his shoulders, and most of his neck hanging off his head. This guy had entirely too much neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm... wouldn't the fallus be at a bit of an angle, considering his posture?
    Perhaps not but it definitely needs to be lower, right now it sits squarely above the pubic bone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    Really appreciate the comments, guys.

haiku: I'm pretty sure from this angle you wouldn't be able to see any of the stairs.
    I disagree, if from the angle i'm looking from i can see the bottom, i should atleast see the last step.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think the stairwell is incredibly well done. Love his monstrous body, too. The penis is totally frightening, and something we're not used to seeing in horror, but is definitely horrifying! JEEZ! Good, no, GREAT job on that. I am not too happy with the monster's head/face. One suggestion: the victim's head has been severed and at this point SO much blood would have been lost that I think his face would be grayish, not so pink. I would also suggest that the flourescents be made brighter, maybe even pure white. Artificial light, stairwells, clinical feel, and penises on monsters are totally frightening and I'm a HUGE fan of this peice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the lighting, the fully lit hallway really gives something scary. Alot diffrent form the usual, wherewolf in the park at night images that are to cliché

we think we are safe in the light, guess not!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love it. Great to see a different take on a old favorite. One small suggestion: I think you could do something interesting with a cast shadow on the walls. Right now, he has very little shadow where his hand and foot contact the wall. I think you could do something pretty dramatic with the shadows that may play nicely with the bottom of the stair well.

G.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I've followed a bunch of the suggetions people gave. Better? Worse?

Thanks!

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig it. The camera tilt was definitely a good call. That makes the shot a lot more unsettling as the entirety of it is composed around a slightly askew vertical. Makes me a little dizzy. The lighting is better. The face to me doesn't sit right. I don't know what it is. Maybe its because if he has a dog muzzle, then the whole mout and nose should project out a little more, but if its a human muzzle, then the nose should extend a bit over the upper lip. That's just my opinion. But muzzle excluded, this picture is damn tight. Kudos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow .. its true.. wolfmna really does have nards...

i think its cool... cool pose and concept.. but i think u should make ur shadows on the right forearm and legs a little more.. and the highlights a little brighter on the body .. because thast light jsut looks so bright looks like itd be casting a harder shadow and really shining on him good... the stairwell looks good.. and everything looks cool.. good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once you're done with this piece, I'd highly recommend trying an alternative "dark" version.

Not that this well-lit version is bad by any means, but I think it will be a good companion piece showing versatility in treating the same scene differently an extended understanding of lighting and lightsources.

Some ideas:

Maybe the only lightsource is the exit sign lights while the two above were broken with the violence of ripping that guy's head off.

Or one light on top is broken and the other is extremely dim so you can make out the backlit profile of the wolf creature and just a subtle hint of the body and the decapitated head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool picture. Only two minor things bug me, and that may just be my imagination. One is that his left hand seems a bit small compared to his right, though that may just be a matter of angles. The other is the body on the floor seems a little rough, when compared to the wolfman. However, that may be just a matter of keeping the focus where it belongs.

Anyway, that's all I noticed, excellent work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the light and the color is good.... but i think the front part of the body of the creature and the human head should be in the shadow because the light is in his back...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by behemot5
    the light and the color is good.... but i think the front part of the body of the creature and the human head should be in the shadow because the light is in his back...
    I agree with behemot, especially considering how significant the core shadow is on the stomach of the monster, and the human head doesn't adhere to that. Also, where the monsters right foot is close to the wall, I would put a slight shadow on the wall near the foot. It is looking really flat there and a feathered shadow would say a lot about the foot placement. Also where his left deltoid meets the leg should have some more shadow definition because they really blend into each other and look flat. Is the penis defying gravity?

Other than those miniscule things I really like your piece. Really nice core going down the monster. Good use of value on him. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely like the base of the staircase better, but something still seems off with the wolfman's head. Perhaps the perspective is slightly off? Proportion? Not sure - but think that's the only real issue left for me. Very creative - and I'm with JtJ - love the pose!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wolfmans got nards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dude

theres this local ska band.. called Swift Kixx that has a song thats called that... Wolfman's got nards... have u heard of them or somethin .. or were u jsut repaeating what i said?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neither actually. That line "Wolfman's got nards" actually comes from the movie Monster Squad, which is a quality film.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice. I like the tilt, of the second one, it makes it look pretty sweet. Also, the pose is great, very dramatic and original. The blood on the wall looks great, very realistic. Nice.

Few crits: I think you should be able to see at least the bottom step, maybe more. And, IMO his head looks a bit small for some reason.

Anyway, that is fuckin sweet so, rock on man.

Sanby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, it's odd - The penis on this monster looks out of place. I guess it is because most monsters that I see drawn or in movies don't have them. I guess I would be a monster too if they took away my johnson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.