Thanks

First try on a landscape drawing

Hello everyone.
    I have been working on this piece with all the feedback you guys have given me in the back of my head.
    Here is where I am at right now. the previous version can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/x9qH9cG
    I would like to here what you guys have to say!

Much love
    Tijs

Thanks everyone for your help100%x
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tissa; 1 Week Ago at 06:34 PM. Reason: Progress is being made

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dig it. The thing throwing me off is the light direction. The guy's shadow indicates top center to bottom.. the bones indicate top right.. the rocks indicate side right.. then there's the white glow in the city behind near the horizon.

I think throwing a tree or two would help.. and with your flowers you may want to run a few dark green in a layer as your are building them up.

I am not sure if I like the misty-hazy back end of the beast/top center sky. Maybe it's the ribs have the same values as the sky.. (you can always quick convert to black and white to check values and then undo).
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    It looks pretty good for a first attempt, but there are some weird issues with the lighting as mentioned above. The figure to the bottom left looks like he's under some sunlight, but the top right looks over-cast and misty. What do you usually draw?

Thanks
    The flowers are killing your sense of scale and your focal point is the scapula. That's in no small part due to the obelisks. The cowgator is missing its other horn. Color-wise you're off to a good start. You've got cool colors in the background that come forward into warm colors in the foreground.

I would say that the blue is too cold though. Especially given the light angle. I'd warm that area up some either with a cool green or maybe just lower the saturation. That'd also help your sense of scale too I think. It would certainly help to keep our eyes from wandering back off behind the rib cage. Maybe also hit the foreground with some soft yellow to warm it up some. The cold light seems at odds with all those cheerful flowers. Just some ideas you can feel free to ignore.
    Last edited by David_a_ray; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:57 PM.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    @mattyt
    Yeah.. The lighting is a mess. I'll be working on that.
    I usually draw figures, rarely in color

Thanks
    Thank you for the help David. I'll be sure to keep your points in mind when working on this piece.

Would you have any tips on changing the focal point?

Thanks
    @modi123
    Thank you for your feedback. I am a bit confused by your second point. What do you mean by dark greens in a layer and what do you have in mind with the trees?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tissa View Post
    Would you have any tips on changing the focal point?
    In general you just need to make the focal point the area of highest contrast in the entire piece. Make stuff that is of less importance fade to the values around it. For this piece however, the obelisks are also helping to frame that area and point you toward the scapula. That's why knocking back the strength of the blue would help. Because your eye won't be drawn to the colors in that area as much.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    I think you're going in the right direction! check out Marco Bucci's 10 mins to better painting videos on youtube

Thanks
    Grass should have shadows in it.. Example:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/0e...5624c40189.jpg

As for the trees - that's up to you. You have vegetation - why not add a few trees or stunted trees.. seems bereft of anything above knee height.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    If you know little bit 3d you can do the scene from simple shapes and move the camera to find a better view.
    You will be able to find a great composition

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhiartz View Post
    If you know little bit 3d you can do the scene from simple shapes and move the camera to find a better view.
    You will be able to find a great composition
    As in 3D program?

Thanks
    Or modeling clay and a desk lamp.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    yeah..that's also possible

Thanks
    Much, much better!
    Sketchbook