Thanks

Photo Study Help

I'm doing a study of a photo I took in my area. I find that I'm having trouble with the accuracy of my drawing and with blocking in shapes. A fresh pair of eyes would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  downtown2.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  323.9 KBName:  downtownphoto.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  311.6 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You didn't make this one easy on yourself with that complex stair system and the shadows it creates. I think it's looking pretty good, with the biggest discrepancy being that your perspective isn't as dramatic as it is in the photo. Here's a little thing I did in mspaint showing where the tops of the buildings should be leading towards the vanishing point (sorry I'm not the most in the know with perspective stuff so I don't know the correct terminology, but hopefully the image will show what I mean).

Name:  mattyt.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  131.4 KB

All that being said your drawing doesn't look 'wrong' so you could probably leave as is without redoing anything and it will still look fine, just this will need to be changed if you want it to look EXACTLY like the photo.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm trying to go as accurate as I can, yeah. I'm wondering if I bit off more than I could chew, but I'm gonna stick with it a bit longer.

Thanks
    It looks like you're doing a lot of guesswork and symbolism over actual observation. A trap we all fall into due to our inability to remain focused.

I find that when I get to a point in my work where I'm not really paying close attention, I need to just stop, collect my awareness and then continue. It's exactly the same thing you learn to do when meditating.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When working digitally I don't think there is any shame in drawing some guide lines over the original image to compare. Or hell, overlaying the image over yours and seeing the differences. You've got the technology available so use it.

Thanks
    I'd recommend you stop drawing details completely because they seem to lose you. Think of everything as cubes and other geometric shapes because after all, that's what buildings are. Do it in black and white as well if you wish to avoid further confusion with ridiculous amount of details and colors. Do a correct sketch first and then let that be your lead.
    Name:  example.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  114.7 KB
    I played around with the image in mspaint to get my point across. See the way these lines are moving? Since you're working digitally you don't need to worry about layering the colors and ruining it. So do this first and then add the cars, the windows, the stairs and etc. after you're done understanding and drawing this. It's perspective practice. Even just doodling stuff like this in mspaint over the images helps you out. Find a weird building angle you can't figure out how you'd draw, put it in your drawing program and play around like this. You can do this with anything, not just buildings.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to idolatrine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After distancing myself a bit, I can definitely see I was getting too far ahead of myself. I didn't want to do a direct trace over since it felt like "cheating" to me, but I still want to work at it. Probably start over and see where a fresh outlook gets me. Thanks for the tips.