Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 625 Posts

EOW 325: Conquest of the Kohi Islands

EOW 325: Conquest of the Kohi Islands

Topic: Conquest of the Kohi Islands

The capitol city of Kohi was razed by a megacorporation, the Jarvalu Mining Company, a multinational business with its sights set on exploiting three islands of their resources: Kohi, Jimmel-Jum, and Huo. The deputy governor of the main island, Kohi, goes by the name of Yarmukka Rush, and she’s a wiley implant from the corporation’s board of presidents and has used corruption, slavery, and bribes to bring the Kohi Islands into their control. The objective for the company is to monopolize the mining trade and safeguard their commercial interests in the region and the colonial administration, and progressively absorb surrounding territory. To date, they have enslaved 9,000 people from the Kohi island chain and killed 2,000 in territorial skirmishes. The island of Huo has put up strong resistance for years already, burning down Jarvalu's seaports and slaveports.

The main island, Kohi, lies north of the other two islands, and is a flatland with marshes and hills, crisscrossed with canals. Kohians there are known for their giant tangerine bushes -- their biggest exports -- which give off an extremely strong, sweet scent in certain areas, which Jarvalu Mining Company now exports elsewhere. The tangerine skins are also used in herbal medicines. Land speculators have predicted that Kohi has a large store of titanium in one of its caves and this is currently being investigated.

The island of Jimmel-Jum is an island characterized by ridges and hollows, and frequently floods during major hurricanes. It is currently under the control of a rogue merchant from Amsterdam, Cornelius de Ciliwung, who has been ruling over the island for 12 years as a dictator. He is backed by the Jarvalu Mining Company to increase the profits from mining there. Jimmel-Jum has copper mines hidden by beautiful waterfalls. Ciliwung was the main facilitator of the Jarvalu invasion and he is considered to be the real ruler of the Kohi Islands. He secretly fears Yarmukka Rush, who both seduces him and intimidates him. A power struggle ensues behind the scenes.

The island of Huo is a tropical land of warriors famed for its impressive fortresses as well as oceanside tourist areas. Native Huo archaeologists discovered copper, gold, and manganese on the island hundreds of years ago and they have managed to begin mining operations on a medium-scale. The Jarvalu Mining Company is rumored to have embedded its spies in the Huo government -- specifically in the counties where the mining trade is flourishing, and the Huo are bloodthirsty, seeking to extinguish Jarvalu from the Kohi Islands and ensure the three islands can become an independent island chain. The Huo territory is 75% under control of the Jarvalu, but 25% remains and they are resisting, led by the Kohi Liberation Army.

Environment Assignments:
    Choose (only 3) of the 4 following possible Environment Assignments (To qualify for the voting poll, you must have finished with all 3, in any order you choose.)

1. Show one of the mining operations on one of the three islands: Kohi, Jimmel-Jum, or Huo. See the story background above for details on what types of mines.
    2. Design a Huo fortress. How does this land of warriors balance tourism and defensive fortifications?
    3. Jarvalu Mining Company seaport. The megacorporation has almost completely conquered the Kohi Island chain. What does its main seaport look like? Show the ships that transport the ores that are mined.

4. Kohi Liberation Army’s resistance in action -- show Jarvalu Mining Company and Cornelius de Ciliwung’s forces meeting against the Kohi Liberation Army's forces in a jungle warfare scene on the island of Huo.

These guidelines and background of the three islands of Kohi are negotiable -- if you would like to change up the story a bit and create a better storyline/environment specifications, please feel free to exercise creativity and your best judgement.

For inspiration for the topic, I looked up the Dutch East India Company’s history, particularly in the Indonesian islands.

Expectations of the Client

-
    To qualify for the poll, complete all three concepts. They must be final and portfolio-ready, but if they are half-done but look developed enough, we will let them go to poll.
    -If you finish two out of three, or even one out of three, consider this a victory for you and your portfolio development -- or just for fun in general. This is a four week project that's meant to challenge participants and encourage them to produce portfolio-grade work. Artists in the EOW have been asking for something like this for years and many have gone on to become a force in the concept art industry.

Deadline: You will have FOUR weeks to finish your assignment. Due 10/31/2018

Good luck and give feedback to others!

Website.

Disclaimer: I don't draw or do art but I'm a big fan!
    I write instead and do journalism.

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Requesting feedback... is this topic silly? Yay or nay? I can change it so it doesn't linger for a month
    Website.

Thanks
    The multiple delivery per project reminds me of how class assignments were organized, that's not a bad thing.
    Four weeks feels like the right amount of time, given that some community members might be back in school.

I like this brief, it's detailed enough to give a sense for the world, but still open enough to not restrict concepts.
    To me it feels like the setting can be in a contemporary time period, but I can also see some alt-history or near future.

I keep visualizing this as an isometric game of Jungle Strike meets Age of Empires, and if I can finish my other work this weekend will likely explore that some more.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love the richness of your backstories Erik. Seriously I would love to read a novel of yours.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Vulgar - I don't think it's silly, but it's extremely advanced for people at my level... But I can adjust to "level of expertise" right?
    I'll try and see if maybe I can do a week or two incorporated with the inktober, otherwise I might not make this one either... Am gonna be busy making birthday gifts for two family members starting mid next week, the last having deadline mid November

PS: Don't make the assignments "less complex" because there's probably people out there who'd love to dive in. But I dunno, maybe either make an alternative description for noobs/people with less time, or maybe point out what to emphasize on if it has to be compromised?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarej View Post
    I love the richness of your backstories Erik. Seriously I would love to read a novel of yours.
    I have seen much better storylines from artists on here but thanks!

Trixtar, that's an excellent idea about the alternative description, a short and concise version of the longer topic with the basics shown. Thank you
    Website.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @vulgar - Oh thank you very much for putting in the extra effort in including everyone