Thanks

I want to be a concept artist(environments mainly). How can I practice?

It seems like such a simple question doesn't it? Why does it feel like the answer is something so out of reach? I read a couple posts on the forums here where people recommend practicing 8 hours a day to get really good which is all well and fine but practice is a waste of time if you're not practicing correctly. So with my end goal of designing environments (both urban and landscape), and creating 2d art a 3d artist can work from, what do you think I should do to practice? I see a lot of people swearing by the loomis books but that seems geared more towards a character artist track. I'm not opposed to doing characters by any means, but I would like to start with environments. People suggest drawing from life, but should I really just go out and poorly draw what I see and try to fix my mistakes? Is this the best approach? I know it's going to be difficult but I don't want to spend 20 hours a week on the wrong kind of practice if that makes sense. I want to be 100% sure that what I'm doing will help me achieve my goals. I appreciate any guidance you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

Here's an example of what I'd like to be able to produce more or less. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Xd_1Y2yDuI..._week08_01.jpg

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,641 Times in 4,575 Posts
    You can set up boxes and tubes to practice perspective, shading etc before going out into the wild.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Work from life but learn basic drawing first. Nothing will train you faster for environments than working outdoors.

Thanks
    If drawing outside is too hard you can draw still life's or even interior spaces around your house, as it has bit more controlled lighting, but also practice that perspective. I feel like understanding perspective is one part and then you are applying knowledge of perspective to life drawing is other. You can also sort of combine those two like finding vanishing point, measure lines etc.

Thanks
    watch tutorials from environment artists you like, learn about values, color and light, brush efficiency, perspective, composition etc.
    analyse artworks that you like, what makes them so good? analyse environments from old masters, paint master studies (Noah Bradley talks a lot about that).
    paint photo studies of every possible environment like forest, desert, mountains etc. after every study, try to apply it on your own personal concept.
    and the most important thing - always ask for feedback and think about what you could improve on each painting.
    it's very overwhelming so you have to be patient and not complicate thing too much. if you're just starting out, try to use only round brush with 100 opacity and focus on simplifying what you see. don't zoom in, just focus on getting a clear read. also flip paintings horizontally while painting to figure out what seems off.
    hope it helps.