Thanks

stochastic - Composition 1.1

Name:  Study_01_sargent_01.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  108.0 KB

Portrait of James Whitcomb Riley - Sargent

Analysis: There is a flow from the subjects face down to his hands and out of the image at the bottom left, with the subjects left hand almost showing the viewer the way with his index finger. The straight angle this flow makes is met with an opposing visual force in the form of the subjects pose angle which creates a subtle flow from near top left to middle exit right.

I was nervous going into this one, as I am not very confident using digital media but hopefully with time my confidence will improve!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  A Spanish Woman John Singer Sargent.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  321.7 KB

A Spanish Woman - Sargent

Analysis: The bottom of her gown seems to shine up like a spotlight revealing her almost genderless face, her hair pointing up to the left of the image takes us near to the edge but then we are pulled back in by the direction the model seems to be gazing.

Thanks
    Name:  Portrait of Daniel J. Nolan_01.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  160.4 KB

Portrait of Daniel J.Nolan - Sargent

Analysis: The subjects eye is placed in the center of the canvas pulling the viewer into the painting. The brush strokes are large confident and full of energy - combined with the slight smile of the subject the artwork is very uplifting to look at.

Thanks
    Name:  Study of a Young Man_01.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  167.7 KB

Study of a young man - Sargent

Here is another Sargent - I chose this one because I feel there was a lot to learn from it. I'm finding these fun to do but challenging, I really want to try and recreate the precise brushstrokes but I'm not there yet with my ability. The layout is taking me the longest amount of time and I can see a big mistake in this one - the head on mine is a little to narrow.

Analysis: The background brush strokes seem to emphasize and echo the head shape, in fact, all brush strokes seem like they are circling a center point in the middle of the canvas.
    The focus for me seems to be on the man's eyes, and it is great to see that the face is so purposely asymmetrical. The highlights on the man's face show the viewer that there is a bright spotlight front and slightly to the right, which gives some life-giving pinpoint highlights in his eyes. There is an economy in brushwork in the neck and shoulder area, with the face rightfully given a lot of attention around the mouth nose and eyes.

Thanks
    Name:  Van Dyck 1.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  112.2 KB

Van Dyck

Ok for this next one I decided to change teacher and go with Van Dyck - as you can see so far by my selections I am into portraits but I do want to mix it up a bit soon.

Analysis: He really just looks like a head sitting on top of some nicely folded napkin in this one - the background around the head is very dark giving it a powerful sinister feeling. The angle of the viewer is set below the eye level of the subject, making us feel smaller and less significant than the sitter. The eyes of the sitter are gazing to our right, again this adds to the theme of power as we the subject are not of not noticed as we are below him. The light is somewhere above top left and is giving an amazing glow to the neck piece and a point glow can only be seen in the sitters right eye as the left eye is just out of view of the source of light.

Thanks
    Name:  Head_of_a_Capri_Girl.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  245.7 KB

Head of a Capri Girl - Sargent

Back to Sargent for this study. I am already now seeing that the highlights on the shoulders are missing as I type this. I found this study challenging but enjoyable, I'm kinda looking forward to doing these in color but that's for a future more skilled version of myself!

Analysis: The background is so abstract, but when viewed as a whole gives a feeling of location - the observer gets to create the environment through pattern recognition. The balance of strokes is such that the viewer's eye is taken on a dance around the canvas, over the soft right shoulder then round the curving hairband and down the sharp left shoulder and out. The Capri girls face is softly lit from above left-ish creating a lovely soft shadow area on the left side of her face.
    Last edited by stochastic; 1 Day Ago at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  zorn.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  202.1 KB

Mefisto - Anders Zorn

Really love the look of this painting, it has so much energy and mystic!

Analysis: This painting is very mysterious and magical in its effect on the viewer, the subject seems to be forming from the paint strokes around him. The large contrasting hat brings us into the subject's face and then we are drawn to the more abstract material draped over the subject's shoulder. The contrasting sparse use of the dotted highlights in the background adds an ethereal energy to the piece.