Thanks

Struggling to Improve (Character Portrait)

Hey, newbie at conceptart here! Any help is appreciated

My art often ends up too flat and/or muddy, but whenever I try to remedy that I end up making an even bigger mess.

Take this recently-made character portrait as an example! I realized that the value range was too small and the character looked too flat (among a lot of other things), so I dabbled around in a feeble attempt to remedy this... the result is the mess that is the second pic.

Name:  1st.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  129.5 KBName:  2nd.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  131.1 KB

Any and all critiques/paintovers are greatly appreciated -- I really want to improve on my rendering and coloring!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you're looking for a way to get more value and depth into the face and make it look good, then you should look back at how the face was constructed; Then from there, you need to break up the features into planes such as the nose, eye socket and the mouth, figure out where the light source is coming from (in this picture the light source is easy to find) and a palete of the tones you wish to bring in. I'll give you a quick example here- Name:  1st Face Planes.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  145.7 KB
    Here we have a good idea of where we want the darker areas to be and where the lighter areas should be. A general rule for this is if the plane on the face is facing away from the light then it is darker. If it faces towards the light then it's brighter. Here's where the palete comes in; to make one for shading, get the skin tone and make a darker and lighter version of it in the colour slider. Then you can adjust the shading as appropriate on the face. Here's a quick and ugly one that I did using this technique to illustrate what I'm talking about;Name:  1st Complete Edit.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  120.4 KB

but if you take the time and pay attention to the planes of the face when it comes time for shading, then I believe your art can improve.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpookyBoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Skulls, asaro heads are good for structure, painting from life is generally good to do as well for colors and for things that I mention earlier

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that!
    Last edited by AlpacaThyme; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you so, so much for your (extremely) helpful advice! I'm really grateful you took the time to draw a planar example and even an overpaint, I'm honestly really inspired now that I know which direction I need to improve in. I'll definitely do more head studies and observational drawings to get better at anatomy and coloring.

You really didn't need to make such awesome advice for a random person, but you did, and I'm really touched. When my art gets non-crappy, I aspire to do the same for others! Thank you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpacaThyme View Post
    You really didn't need to make such awesome advice for a random person, but you did, and I'm really touched. When my art gets non-crappy, I aspire to do the same for others! Thank you
    Np, that's what we do you could start sketchbook to show us your studies and other stuff, to get traffic there post something to someone's sketchbook and some members gives comment back to yours
    Last edited by stonec; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:14 AM.

Thanks
    It's because you're not using reference. If you *have* reference you're not using it. Our ability to invent the subtle qualities of light and form are laughable. Real light on real form is always better reference than a photograph. Of course, we must make due with images much of the time. Hopefully, you take the time to find better reference than what I used.
    Name:  34rd.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  114.9 KBName:  30st.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  258.1 KB

Always use reference material.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

11. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Why do you actually have a picture of Santa on Casual Friday?

Otherwise, I have to agree with them. Always use reference; it's the only way you'll internalize how light and shadow play off each other. Even when you do internalize them, still use reference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyt View Post
    Why do you actually have a picture of Santa on Casual Friday?

You don't?

That's like two years worth of beard right there. G'head I'll wait while you download it.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

Thanks
    Thanks. Now that I know his face, I can have my revenge for all those years I got coal.