Art: ROACH WAR!!!(every bug dies....not every bug really lives)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ROACH WAR!!!(every bug dies....not every bug really lives)

HEY guys--this is my second post here--hopefully ill get more feedback than lastime.
    Any comments and criticism is welcome--i did this last weekend(ps7)--it was a blur as i did it all in a two day period off and on. I feel like my palette chioces are the weakest part( but other people dont seem to mind) --also heard the carpet is hard to read and/or is weird.( fix that soon)--ty

what do you guys think of the colors?

Last edited by tyboogie; February 8th, 2003 at 02:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to see a comic book with the pictures like this. I think the carpet looks like from the other dimension. But the guy is great!

..:: Yaseck ::..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colors? Which colors?

No seriously, this looks monochrome, i don't know if this is what you were going for. But even if, you should use more, much more different colors to push your images. Use them subtly to get more depth and life...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, but I think your perspective will turn out to be a bit wrong.

You should sharpen up that carpet, but you should also ideally have made it a lot 'taller', since as it is now, those roaches will be like ten inches tall or something.

But if you make the carpet as tall as it would be at that perspective compared to the roaches, the guy in the background would disappear, which is why I said your perspective 'will probably turn out to be wrong'.

They should kinda be standing with carpet strands all around them like grass, IMO.

Take a look at some images from the "A bugs life" movie or other movies like that.

It could of course be a very "short haired" carpet, but I still think it's a bit off.

As it is though, I think you should at least draw the carpet with lines like you've done the roaches, to sharpen it up.

And some colours wouldn't hurt.

I like your idea though. :thumbsup:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i dont know what happened with the colors...i wanted the bg to be very desaturated, but the roahes were supposed to be mre vibrant.. ill have to go back and play on it later.

still gotta fix that carpet --
    thanks-ty

Last edited by tyboogie; February 5th, 2003 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fixed the carpet--ty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Your fav classmate

muuuuuuch better. I really get a better sence of depth now. But as Fozzybar said, i too feel you can push the image further with some play on color... for example maybe the ants can loose a tiny bit of saturation as they go farther back. Excelent job. I'll charge you 5 dollars later for my post.

-|-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hhmmmmm..yeah Ed maybe the "ANTS" COULD use a little bit of desturation as they recede into space... Oh and MAYBE you could actually read the title of my painting?... did you even look at the peice? their roaches!! When i see you at school im going to take your milk money, and then make you push a penny around the toilet lid with youre nose! Seriously though--good advice about the desaturation--for some reason i totally forgot to do that. impressive i know. hollerrrrrrr---ty

is the carpet RUGGISH enough? does it read as carpet or does it look too solid ( like rock or crystals or something)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it looks better now. I think the carpet looks OK. Maybe it would be a bit more 'fuzzy' with small fibers standing out on each 'hair', but... ?

I still feel like i'm colourblind when I look at this piece though.

It looks almost greyscale to me.
    Only when I actually concentrate can I see that the roaches are kinda red'ish. I can of course see the red in their eyes though.

But...still a bit colourless. Nothing wrong in that per say, maybe that's exactly the look you wanted, but...might as well be greyscale IMO.

Here's an example of what I mean by 'coloured'.

I'm NOT saying you should do this, or do it this way, or choose these colours, 'cause this is just a very fast job I did, but you know....colours!

Having said all that, I still wanna say that I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick crit

Cute idea! I like the whole 'fisheye' look and perspective you have on the piece. Personally, I liked it more as a monochrome! I thought the muted colors worked really well! Perhaps I'd suggest cooling the colors down a bit, just to give it a different mood. The warm colors give it a 'cheery' atmosphere, which doesn't seem to fit for a cockroach turf war. (But what does, really? ) Now, THE BIGGEST suggestion I have for you is this: blur tool! It's the little tear shape on the toolbar. Your lighting's really good on the guy, but you've got that splotchy look that Photoshop can give very easily. So just go in there with the blur tool (put it on a 40% strength) and just blend those colors together a bit and you'll be solid! Overall, very impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: Quick crit

Originally posted by ConceptCreature
    Personally, I liked it more as a monochrome! I thought the muted colors worked really well! Perhaps I'd suggest cooling the colors down a bit, just to give it a different mood. The warm colors give it a 'cheery' atmosphere, which doesn't seem to fit for a cockroach turf war.

Uhm... I think you're commenting on my paintover, not tyboogie's drawing...ROACH WAR!!!(every bug dies....not every bug really lives)

And actually, my colours didn't work that well, but I just thought I'd try and see...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tee hee

see. i knew they were roaches, just making sure you KNEW. Hehe, it was 3 in the morning, sorry =P

-|-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo yo yo

Ed--you ARE special---dont ever let anyone tell you different

John--actually i was going for a desturated look to my peice, but thanks for the input and the color experiment

thanks concept creature! i hear you about the blur tool

just going to throw a little more color into that rug and itll be time to move on to new and better works!!!YAY!!!
    ---ty

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.