2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Lady In White Part 8

Name:  The Lady In White Part 8 1.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  125.4 KB

Thanks
    There's a part 1-10?

I'd assume the eponymous Lady in White would be the focal point, but I don't see anything like that here. Maybe the surgeon? For that matter, there isn't much of a "focus" in the picture at all. What's the one thing the viewer should look at first?
    Last edited by MattyT; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    I'll start off with the things in this piece that does work. First of all I like the woman in the white dress; she has a dynamic pose and you can tell that she's looking intently at something and from what I can see of the figure that isn't obscured by the dress you seem to have a good understanding of the animator's skeleton in whatever 3D modelling and animating program you're using. There's also a lot of ambition with the cloth texture and the details in the background and on the shelves; I know from experience just how hard cloth physics is to render without it breaking it's polygons or spazzing out mid-render.

However, it looks a bit too chaotic and confusing. There are several elements that are vying for the viewers attention, and while the woman remains the main focal point the shelf and lab equipment in front of her is lost in the background. the glass beakers and the metal pipes are so bright in the piece, it looks like they're glowing. If you reduced the reflectivity and the refraction of the texture it will start looking like normal glass. For the metal, reduce the reflectivity.

The lighting in this piece also needs work. There doesn't seem to be a direction the light is coming from, yet the workstation and the items on it are barely visible, either having too dark of a texture or not being illuminated well. What I would do is create a couple of light sources in the 3D model and place them where typical ceiling lights would be. It's a labratory so it could be well illuminated and the ceiling is high enough that you wouldn't have to worry about creating models of ceiling lights anyway. There's a whole lot of work and detail that went into this, so it's a shame that some of it is being lost to inadequate lighting.

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting on my image.

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting on my image.

Thanks
    You're welcome! I hope you keep the advice in mind for Lady in White Part 12. Make sure you have a clear focus in mind before you arrange the elements of your picture.
    Last edited by MattyT; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:33 AM.

Thanks

Lady In White 12

Name:  The Lady In White Part 12.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  95.2 KB

Thanks
    What kind of critique are you looking for? You're supposed to post your work with a problem you're having, or a question. If you think these are finished they should be posted in Finished Art.

Thanks
    Those bottles overpower the whole image.

Thanks
    Why do you render with no shadows or GI? It looks garish and very 90s. You seem to be using a single area light as well. Also only the woman has normal maps, did you make these assets? (this isnt bullying)

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting.

Thanks
    Whats the point if you're not going to discuss critique or at least tell us what you are concerned with/interested in improving. You've put the same response on 3 separate pieces now.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,641 Times in 4,575 Posts
    Merged threads. And as you couldn't take the hint and continued to post in Finished Art with these, your posts will now be moderated. You are here to learn. Listen to the advice you've been given and work on your art.

This work is static, says nothing to the viewer and is very crudely put together.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm going to assume these are mostly constructed of premade assets. There's just something about stock models that result in these really flat lifeless images. Maybe it's the software used, I don't know. The latest image is better, there's light and shadow stuff going on. But I would redo the fireplace texture, it's a bit much. Also maybe you could add some transparency or something to her dress so light can pass through, might help it look less static.

Thanks
    You need a proper rendering engine if you want to work primarily from 3D. Whetever you're using right now (is this DAZ Studio internal rendering?) is doing a really bad job in pretty much every respect. Modo's internal renderer is good, Blender's as well, as are Octane or Redshift if you prefer GPU based rendering.