Thanks

Resolution Compromise

Hi there. I know the standard resolutions are 72 for screen and 300 for print, and I know working in a bigger resolution to scale down later makes work look so crisp. But say you're working on something and you know you have no intention of printing it, or say I'm doing a commission for a client who only wants the image for their web page, is it still recommended to work at 300 dpi to scale down to 72 later? or is it best practice to always work at 300?

I ask because I've been seeing conflicting opinions on this. If I'm working on something personal, or say for DSG, CHOW, IOW, etc., then I have no intention of printing it later, but my good PC died so I'm doing all my work on a brick right now until I can afford a god-tier computer and Photoshop tends to lag, especially when working with such large file sizes.

Even if I work at 150 then shrink it down to 72 it's still not bad, not as sharp as if I'd done it at 300 or higher though. I just wanted to get other opinions on this.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    if it's going to be low rez, work that way, if it looks good at low rez and the client is happy there is no need to do it tighter.
    Last edited by dpaint; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:11 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would always start at 300. You can always scale it back to a lower resolution after the fact, but you can never scale up.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks to you both! I am definitely going to have to scale down for now until I get a better PC, since this one can't handle the workload, but I also noticed that brushes work much better in larger resolutions so that's something I always have to keep in mind as well.

While on the topic of resolution, I came across a comment the other day that comic book artists do their inking at print resolution and colour at 1/2 the print size to scale up after. I've never heard of this and tried googling it but I couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard of this or know if there is a name for it so I can look it up?