Thanks

My progress sketchbook for digital painting (Brutal criticism please!).

(Edit: This is a link to my latest post so you can see where I currently am).

Hi all,

I'm hoping to teach myself to A) paint digitally and to B) draw realistically with better technique. I want to hit both of those birds with one stone, so I'm going to try to do an hour of sketching as regularly as possible (hopefully daily if I can stick to it). The idea is that I'll sketch away in Photoshop for an hour, stick it up here so the community can pick holes in what I'm doing.

As I add more images, maybe I'll edit this post to include the pictures in order so my progress can be plotted.

These images are Day 1, in which I was focusing on drawing male heads. They are based on basic tutorials that I cobbled together from YouTube and Google. I have shown the different layers of my work (Pale blue form construction, dark blue refined construction, black basic detail). Do your worst!

Name:  Day 1 - Sheet 1.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  Day 1 - Sheet 2.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  236.8 KB

Name:  Day 1 - Sheet 3.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  167.7 KB
    Last edited by Jri; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello! I'm new to the community but also looking for "brutal criticism" lol. So I figured I'd see if I can help you out. My first piece of advice is to analyze your work after you've taking a break from it for like a day or a few hours. You should ask yourself..."How does my shape read?...Do these heads look like heads or is something off?.....Looking at your final head sketches it's clear that some of the heads look a little strange and parts of the face like eyes don't line up correctly. In most of your heads I feel as if you didn't leave that much space for the chin and jaw areas. Studying proportions of the face will help with that. My last piece of advice is to draw bigger and to upload finished works or close to finished art pieces. Those are better to analyze then just studies. I hope this helps!!.
    --*Jesus Saves!!*--

Thanks
    Thanks for your input!

I agree with what you said about taking time to reflect and come back to a piece. It's funny that you mention the chins being too small as I felt that they were (in some cases) excessive? If anyone wants to weigh in on this feel free.

In the mean time, here's day 2:

I grabbed some sample headshots from Google to try and get into the habit of working with references.

The set of images are me just trying to draw entirely from my head. I really don't like the results, but basically I did a basic construction, refined this with some very basic line art in black, then did some crude shading under the black lines.

I think the line art and shading kill it a little (I like the dark blue rough though - that seemed to be more coherent than the finished thing).

Underneath that are three sketches/studies I made from observation in a short time limit. The first two (black line sketches) are of the bearded guy on the bottom row of the reference image. The third colour image is me experimenting with some of Photoshop's brushes - it's not great, but I liked stepping away from line art for a moment (it's the kid above the bearded guy in the reference image).
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Jri; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Slow down. Your lines look like crap, it may help you to work through http://www.drawabox.com
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Hello!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at that website, pretty great resource!

The first lesson in the series looks at line consistency, which was just what I need. I did the exercise he suggests, in which you draw lines by hand against a perfectly straight guide line to gauge your own lines.

The emphasis seems to be on practising in pen/ink initially (at least for the first few of the 'Draw a box' lessons), so I did both. Firstly I drew up some sheets, I did a few lines horizontally, a few vertically and a few at a sort of natural 45° angle (these are labelled).

I did a digital version in Photoshop against a set of guides I whipped up in Illustrator (I've attached a blank version here if anyone needs a free resource). The colour variations in the digital versions represent me changing the angle slightly to suit my arm and the green lines at the bottom also showed where I zoomed in to try and improve.

My lines are poor, but this is only Day 2. For my next few posts, I'm going to try and alternate between these technical exercises and some anatomic/observational sketches in the interest of varying my study (plus these probably look dull to anyone hoping to gawk at less abstract pictures).

Here we go (there's probably not much to critique here - but I want to be thorough so I can plot my progress):

Name:  Day 2 - Sheet 6.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  208.9 KB

Name:  Day 2 - Sheet 7.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  Day 2 - Sheet 8.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  Day 2 - Sheet 9.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  56.1 KB
    Last edited by Jri; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Thanks
    Here's a quick 10 minute sketchbook session I ran off before I fell asleep. Basically an observational sketch of my radiator and a bunch of heads. The heads are a mixture of me trying to smooth out the bold outlines (and some of the fainter construction lines for that matter) by drawing with my shoulder as the pivot instead of my wrist or elbow and trying to get really basic facial proportions consigned to memory.

The some lines are reasonably smooth, I feel that overall I was struggling to draw with my shoulder - so it felt like starting from scratch as far as hand eye coordination goes.

Feedback welcome!

Name:  Day 2 - Sheet 10.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  155.1 KB

Thanks
    Day 3!

Firstly, I looked at a 'Draw With Jazza' episode covering figure drawings to break it up a bit, here's an attempt I had. Started with some construction lines, then some slightly tidier outlines, then some shadows based on a light source directly above.

Secondly are the results of some of the exercises from the first 'Draw A Box' lesson (I'm struggling a bit with his 'draw from your shoulder' philosophy, but I'll stick with it). These are pretty meaningless out of the context of the lesson, so I'll probably limit the amount of these I post from here on (anyone have any opinion on this?) so they don't dilute the other stuff I can get productive feedback on.

Feedback welcome (read: needed)

Name:  Day 3 - Sheet 4.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  Day 3 - Sheet 1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  152.7 KB

Name:  Day 3 - Sheet 2.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  205.3 KB

Name:  Day 3 - Sheet 3.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  211.6 KB

Thanks
    More heads!

Name:  Day 3 - Sheet 5.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  164.4 KB

Thanks
    Keep working on those fundamentals from drawabox, they're incredibly important. Maybe I'm interpreting you wrong, but from how you write it seems like you're viewing these exercises as something that is getting in the way of you drawing, rather than something that is essential for you drawing. I suggest to really take your time with these exercises, make them a habit of every day drawing and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble later on.

Also, the proportions of your head look really off. Go back and learn (from multiple teachers) how to draw the head. I've found Hampton, Loomis, Steve Huston, Reilly are all good. There are plenty to choose from, see which ones make sense to you. Start with the front and side views until you really nail down your proportions. By all means try drawing from another angle, but try working through the perspective cube drawings from drawabox while you do this.

Generally, just slow down and really think about the marks you're making. Your observational drawing is quite nice, keep drawing from life - I'd love to see more.

Thanks
    Thanks Svemir, that’s really productive feedback!

I’m using Prokos videos to get a better understanding of heads today. I’ve decided to divide my drawing time into thirds from now on:

One part Draw A Box exercises, one part proportion/form studies, one part observational drawing.

Should help balance my daily sketching. I’ll post shortly.

Thanks
    As promised; top left is a Draw a Box 'ellipses in planes' warm up, bottom left is a quick observational study of my stinky old running shoe, right are my head studies based on Proko's Loomis heads video. I've mainly focused on straight on and profiles - let me know what I'm getting wrong!

Name:  Day 4 - Sheet 1.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  162.7 KB