Thanks

Art Critique please!

I took note from last week with working on my fundamentals and I have been doing so. A lot of boxes and cylinders... I took a break and made this piece and wanted to see if you guys could point out the mistakes I made. The glaringly terrible ones are the moon lighting, perspective and anatomy porportions on the pirate and ninja. I would appreciate any criticism!Name:  IMG_20180916_175522_483.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  196.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's too dark. Or rather, there is too little contrast. If everything is the same darkness or lightness, you can't really tell that you're looking at anything without focusing really hard. The ninja doesn't distinguish itself easily from the clouds, for example.

In general just try to make unimportant things similar in value, and more important things have more contrast. So if the ninja is important, he should have a different value than whatever's around him in the environment. You can combine this concept with color selection, atmospheric perspective, and edge blur or sharpness. How do you decide what's important in the image? That's up to you and where you want us to look.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh man, thats unfortunate, the last thread I created you had said along the lines of using contrast to create a clear idea of what is important within the piece. I'll put the concept of similar values for unimportant aspects and blur/ sharpness into practice for my next mini project. I think atmospheric perspective is a bit beyond me for now but I would appreciate a point in the right direction for future resources. David_a_ray you are awesome man, thank you for the constructive feedback!

Thanks
    Sometimes it just takes hearing it a few times.

Don't worry about atmospheric perspective. Once you start arranging values, it'll start to make sense on its own.
    Sketchbook

Bucket List: Finish reading those books, Get a fish, Astral Project, Eat responsibly, exercise more often, save money, squint, poke at young people with a cane, talk about good old days, sputter and wheeze, hack and cough, adjust dentures