Thanks

Honest critique needed!

Hello all, my name is t0rIIGa and I'm new to the forum, I've attached an image of my Falcon Cyberknight. To me the mistakes are obvious I just can't define them nor know how to go about fixing them. I wanted to create an image with 3 sources of light, one being the sword, one from the explosion in the background and ambient lighting. I wanted the main focus to be on the character and to have a nice contrast to the background. I really like how the lighting on the helmet came out and want to isolate that for the rest of the piece. Please, ANY critique is extremely welcome.Name:  IMG_20180909_170026_029.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  288.0 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Things that stood out.

The right leg (center).. looks way bigger than it should be.
    The blade guard thing is jet black.. and hints at being some sort of square plate, but that is missing.
    The boxy red.. ah.. underwear.. seems weir and off cetner fr om the torso. I mean I'm all about a solid flat groin plate, but this seems to be a little much.

The shoulder pad on the right seems not to capture a 3d perspective.. his bigger/higher than the other.

The right arm should indicate some sort of joint or what not if this is armor.

I don't understand what is going on inside the dome.. Is that a bird head sitting on a chicken dinner?

You may want to start your images with a DPI of 300 or more to reduce jagged edges.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're biting off more than you can chew at the moment.

"I wanted the main focus to be on the character and to have a nice contrast to the background. I really like how the lighting on the helmet came out and want to isolate that for the rest of the piece."

That's exactly what you haven't done. To draw attention to a specific area, you need contrast. Also, that 3 light source thing is just begging for trouble if you're trying to light the figure with all 3. Everything must be in subordination to where you want to draw focus. In this instance, the helmet would be your desired focal point. Black next to white creates a point of highest contrast. Use it sparingly. The same applies to color; red and green for example. Soft edges and hard edges. etc. It's all contrast in a sense.

Name:  fp.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  186.3 KB

Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @modi123
    Thanks for the frank analysis it got many points across while making me laugh. I appreciate it a lot!
    @David_a_ray
    How did you desaturate the image to show values? That looks extremely handy. I think you're right in me biting off a bigger piece than I can chew, I'll stick to a basic light source and creating contrast around my focal point with the techniques you mentioned (color, soft/hard). I appreciate your time!

Thanks
    Unless you have Photoshop CS3, I doubt my desaturation technique will be of use to you. There are bound to be tutorials online for whatever new-fangled program you're using. It's as simple as finding the right button to push.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.