Thanks

CHOW 471/IOW/IDW Teamup Gotham Henchman (wips)

Name:  CHOW banner demon.jpg
Views: 8070
Size:  203.8 KB

Character of the Week #471

CHOW/IOW/IDW team up Gotham Henchman.
    Deadline - Monday, September 24th 8AM GMT

This is a teamup with Illustration of the week and Industrial design of the week.

IOW thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...25#post4064125

IDW thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...26#post4064126

The street gangs of Gotham city are filled with all manner of thieves, cutthroats, thugs and numerous other violent men and women who serve their villainous bosses in committing crimes and as foot soldiers in their constant war against the Batman.

The various crime lords demand a certain dress code from their henchmen, usually reflecting their personal madness and obsessions. The Joker’s followers often have a clown / carnival theme, and attract only the most desperate or insane to their ranks, whilst the Riddler’s men are well dressed, but with a passion for question marks… Weaponry will also depend on the chosen villain, Mr Freeze’s men will likely have cryo guns, whilst Harley’ Quinn’s gang may have makeshift weaponry like hammers and baseball bats.

For the CHOW portion of this challenge you will design a gang member of a villain from Batman’s rogue’s gallery. You can do anything from a recent Arkham Asylum escapee to a highly trained member of the league of assassins. Inspiration can be found in the many films, computer games, etc (I came up with this idea after finishing season four of “Gotham”.)

Any follower of a Batman villain is acceptable, even those who don’t normally have gangs, like Deadshot for instance, but here are some ideas:

Two face: Obsessed with duality / halves.
    Mr Freeze: Has to keep himself cold, followers would most likely need heavy coats. Cryo guns.
    Mad Hatter: Alice in Wonderland obsession.
    Firefly: Obsessed with fire. Fireproof stuff and flamethrowers.
    Poison Ivy: Controls men with pheromones. Parasitic plant zombies?
    Professor Pyg: Butcher / surgeon, animal masks.
    Penguin: Black and white. Good resources, well equipped.
    Court of Owls: Highly trained owl ninjas. “talons”.

• Male of female human
    • Clearly of a gang led by a Batman villain.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots either in the wips thread or finals thread.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models
    , rushed works/ rough sketches. PHOTO TEXTURES are allowed as long as they are suitably worked into the piece and not lazily dumped on top.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process:

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

Last edited by Moirae; September 18th, 2018 at 10:01 AM.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Modern Batman stuff can be quite dark, but if you want to camp it up with a character based in the Adam West era then go right ahead!

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Does Catwoman qualify? I know she started as a villain but she's kinda of an anti-hero now, isn't she? I don't know I haven't been following comic books in a long time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Cowell View Post
    Does Catwoman qualify? I know she started as a villain but she's kinda of an anti-hero now, isn't she? I don't know I haven't been following comic books in a long time.
    Catwoman is fine, and anyone who has ever been a villain at any point. I'm not asking you to be up to date or anything, you could even your character after the films and ignore the comics completely if you want. Even characters currently dead are ok.

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Oh, nice! Thank you. And on that note, I believe Robin went rogue a while back too as some character in a red mask. An evil Robin gang sounds interesting as well.

Thanks
    Yes, that was the red hood gang. Also acceptable.
    There has also been a robin gang, but unfortunately they weren't evil: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/We_Are_Robin_Vol_1_1

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Oh, there actually was a Red Hood and a Robin gang? I'm really out of the comic book loop. XD

Also, here is my entry so far. The inspiration for this gang of thugs came from my favourite character in the 60's Batman show. I only saw her once and I kept watching the show hoping to see her again. She was only a guest appearance but she left such an impact that I never forgot her and her cute, little, pink bow. The gang is called the Pussycats and I wanted to blend some of the campiness and sex-appeal of the Adam West show with the darkness and bad-assitutde of current gen Batman where, the costume is a bit silly yet practical. You might underestimate them upon first impression but they can definitely kick your ass.

Name:  The-Pussycats-1.png
Views: 1655
Size:  315.6 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Cowell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are two really roughly sketched character concepts! I definitely felt more inspired by nightshade, but once i started messing around with the butcher fox, i had a really quirky sick character in mind that i might have fallen in love with. Which do you think you guys like to see me flesh out?Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  172.8 KB
    Last edited by PeachyPii; September 12th, 2018 at 03:34 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeachyPii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    PeachyPii: If you have a quirky character that you might have fallen in love with I think you may have answered you're own question in which to go for.
    Some images from the comics that may help inspire you further: https://www.inter-comics.com/blog/re...imals-attack-2

Feel free to ignore it and take it in any direction you want though...

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Robert's got a quick hand
    He'll look around the room, he won't tell you his plan
    Name:  CHOW_471.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  73.8 KB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackSparrow1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Found this list that could be helpful (though, admittedly, I don't follow the comics, so not sure how accurate it is. Y'know how Wikipedia is sometimes).

Batman Adversaries

Also really like this artist's style! I might try to emulate as best I can for this particular prompt (but who knows how close I'll actually get ). Lots of deep black shadows and pops of color. Vincenzo Riccardi
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | ArtStation | Dribbble | Art Blog | CA Sketchbook

Fire With Fire (Steam) [2D Artist]

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah thank you for that link! Those pictures are actually extremely helpful! Gives me some ideas to add to her mask and probably a whole new outfit. Especially weapon.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PeachyPii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm working on Firefly's gang, so here's a few flamethrower concepts and some character designs figuring out the outfits. I figured the weapons would look kinda post-apocalyptic, home made, and the clothing would be basically stolen from firefighters and slightly modified.

Name:  60 firefly flamethrower thumbs.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  110.8 KB Name:  61 firefly flamethrowers.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  141.2 KB Name:  64 firefly goons.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  293.0 KB

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ognyendyolic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ognyendyolic: Nice going on the flamethrower designs. Don't forget chow is teaming up with industrial design of the week, you've basically got an entry for that already. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...26#post4064126

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First rough sketch of my idea.

Name:  IMG_20180917_205801.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  260.1 KB

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nE0n1nja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Scribbles.

Name:  wips.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  155.3 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @moirae.... ohhh, mushroom man, that guy has my vote.
    @nEOn1nja... good start, keep it up. For clarification, is that supposed to be a clown skull face? As in a skull painted like a clown? I like that idea very much.
    @ognyendyolic... really good weapon designs. I like the rifle shaped designs most (1 and 4).
    @jacksparrow... good sketch, but honestly the design seems too simple. If you're going the simple route then I would suggest just having a white blank shirt. The guy's makeup is enough to indicate that he works for joker.
    @peachypi... my vote is for nightshade, though I get why you are interested in the fox.
    @j cowell... I always love your stuff man

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

My first Post! Any feedback welcome before I move to Photoshop. This is one of Scarecrows "Crows" as I'm calling it. It will be feathers around the neck and the wing in the background is an "apparition" caused by scarecrows fear gas that the character is spreading with the flare he's holding. I guess you could call him...FlareCrow? (sorry).

Anyone else having a hard time over designing them and trying to keep them as purely henchman rather than a new character? Let me know if you think I should re implement some of my ideas from the sketches or any new suggestions please! Does it read as scarecrow???

Thanks in advance!!

Name:  IMG-6991.JPG
Views: 1211
Size:  174.1 KBName:  IMG-6983.JPG
Views: 1208
Size:  159.3 KBName:  IMG-6992.JPG
Views: 1208
Size:  184.5 KBName:  IMG-6986.JPG
Views: 1210
Size:  154.9 KBName:  IMG-6988.JPG
Views: 1209
Size:  198.7 KB

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joejimbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joejimbo View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Anyone else having a hard time over designing them and trying to keep them as purely henchman rather than a new character? Let me know if you think I should re implement some of my ideas from the sketches or any new suggestions please! Does it read as scarecrow???

Thanks in advance!!
    Welcome to CHOW Joejimbo. Your character doesn't necessarily have to be rank and file, they could be the "second in command" as it were. Harley Quinn would technically be a henchwoman too and Penguin has "Lark" etc . As long as they obviously share themes with their boss (ie, maybe a little straw or the hood made form sackcloth) they are allowed to stand out a bit.

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
    Welcome to CHOW Joejimbo. Your character doesn't necessarily have to be rank and file, they could be the "second in command" as it were. Harley Quinn would technically be a henchwoman too and Penguin has "Lark" etc . As long as they obviously share themes with their boss (ie, maybe a little straw or the hood made form sackcloth) they are allowed to stand out a bit.
    OK thanks for clarifying Moirae. I like the pose but may reincorporate some of the skull design back in then =]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarej View Post
    @nEOn1nja... good start, keep it up. For clarification, is that supposed to be a clown skull face? As in a skull painted like a clown? I like that idea very much.
    Thanks. Yeah, that's a really cool idea, could've gone in that direction now that you've told me lol, but gotta be honest, not what I initially had in mind .

So in my design they have their lips thorn off and their mouths are pulled upwards with hooks so they always have that creepy grin .

Name:  wip1.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  360.7 KB

36. The Following User Says Thank You to nE0n1nja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Didn't wanna double-post, but since no one else is posting, here's another wip. Picked the colors, now it's time to paint this guy.

Name:  wip2.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  151.7 KB

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nE0n1nja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nE0n1nja: Please post up as much as you like, every bit of padding helps to make the thread longer.

I really wanted to do a talon ninja from the court of owls, I tried out all sorts of cool poses, drawing and redrawing for ages but nothing was working. Then I drew this guy in ten minutes flat. I think that's sign, so am going for Belly Laugh.

Name:  jokergoon copy.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  169.3 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Flats and the beginnings of shading.

Name:  jokergoonwips2.jpg
Views: 950