Thanked 1,019 Times in 639 Posts

DSG 2728: Little Wanderer Finds Orphanage in Dark Woods

DSG 2728: Little Wanderer Finds Orphanage in Dark Woods

Hidden in the woods.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So, on the first one, it's too busy to the left... but hopefully managed to place the kid in a good spot story-wise, however it seems totally out of balance.
    On the second one, all the large objects are on the right trying to create a diagonal composition (or whatever to call it) following the line of the roof and the kid/dog's head and then the direction of the dog's body. But is the balance good with dog + house + tree all in one spot?

...I can't for the life of me see just how wrong I'm doing this, and if any of these ideas work at all! Of course it would make a difference, for better or worse, to add texture and color contrasts, but it's like a gamble if the sketch doesn't work right?

If I was to change something I'd probably have to mess around with making the objects smaller to create more space.. maybe?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar, second sketch does seem better composed.
    I don't know much about composition, but I'd be tempted to crop out a bit of the right side of the image. Or maybe move the whole thing a little that way? So the dog would be a little off center (like in the rule of thirds or something) to make more space for the kid. Maybe? *panics*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billie cake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @billie_cake - Thank you so much for the feedback and I totally get what you are saying Yeah making everything tinier and then move so the "background" for the dog would be the house? That would indeed also add something to the texture contrast, as long as I can make the house frame the dog without ending up with overlapping edges. Also my proportions are way off, so cleaning them would maybe fix a lot xD Cropping is not possible, but a redo is... then it just all comes down to my laziness

Btw, I tried flipping the images, they sort of strangely look a tiny more balanced that way, or is it just me? ...Not that they are good, it's just which one to pick if I had to go forward with any of them and make changes to?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar, well...
    In the first one it feels that the house got too much space for itself. You could move the kid in front of the house to divert some attention from it. It should serve as a 'background', no? (unless it's like one of those panoramic paintings for book covers?) Might be a good idea to play with scale and perspective while you're at it. Maybe bring things closer?
    In the second image you could move the dog AND the house to the right, because the kid seems... cornered? Slightly sandwiched between that tree and the dog. Not sure about 'making everything tinier' though, as it might flatten the perspective? It's worth sketching out and comparing. Fight the laziness =)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to billie cake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @billie cake - Pep talk much appreciated
    You have some pretty good ideas, will try and make changes to the images already posted here later... atm doing a bunch of 3-value studies for random compositions for this topic in acrylics. One of my absolutely biggest struggles is to first lay down a plan and then start on adding detail.

Lols, I'm gonna spam this thread to death, sorry guys...
    But just discovered that working on "one subject as a project" to greater extend than just do one study/version and then move on gives much more experience xD

Thanks
    I tried to fix the thing based on the suggestions... then I made another version that I sort of like better for some reason, might make a halloween painting out of it

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @trixstar... when I run into placement problems like you were having at the very beginning, that is when I open up blender and spend an hour placing boxes to represent all my figures, throw in some light, and then go crazy with moving the camera around trying to pick the best compositions, then render those. You can knock out all the perspective issues and lighting issues pretty quickly.

case in point;
    Name:  2018-06-21-EOW319-COW425-Guardian-Ammo-WIP001b-render.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  141.0 KB
    Name:  2018-06-21-EOW319-COW425-Guardian-Ammo-WIP003.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  383.3 KB

... man I really need to finish that illustration.

Anyways... I hope you figure it out trixstar.

My sketch;
    Name:  2018-09-20-DSG2728-Little-Wanderer.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  420.6 KB

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @edgarej - Oh yeah 3D software! Thank you for that reminder, like you also indirectly reminded me the first time I saw your armory, it's a great idea thanks for bringing it up
    I will try it out asap! Is it true the newer version isn't worth it? The one I have installed is like 3-ish years old....

And yes, you really need to finish the armory, it's awesome and deserves your care!

Your sketch for this challenge is great, such suspense with who that guy is and why he's coming there because he looks sort of creepy. I love your painterly strokes, and yet it looks like just almost a default brush with good pressure sensitivity you for some reason get along with very well?

Thanks
    @trixstar.... blender 2.79 is the current one right now, and it's good, but nothing really extraordinary compare to 2.6 (which is probably what you have). But the next one coming up, 2.8 is getting a lot of hype. That one I'm looking forward to because of the new real-time rendering engine. No more waiting five hours for a picture to render. YEAH! And there's tons more new features in 2.8, so it's going to be a huge update like 2.5 was (I think 2.5 was the first big major update).

As for the brush, there's a default brush in Krita called "random mech shapes brush." I use it to generate some noise in my sketches, then smooth everything out with a textured blend brush. You will see that brush in a lot of my sketches. Great job noticing it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @edgarej - oh sweet, thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely get the 2.8

Oh so that's how you do it!
    Krita is even free isn't it? ...Am sort of revising my own digital painting skills downgrading them to 0.1, yours look more painterly than what I have ever achieved with painter xD Guess practice is required
    Haha, it would be a disgrace if I didn't notice the painterly aspect being a traditional medium addict, great job making it look like that!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @trixstar.... I'm sure painter has a way you can setup a brush similar to the krita one. Or you could also try peter polach's method (apterus graphics on youtube). He doesn't rely much on shape variations but on hue variations. Set any brush to randomize hue and you get "noise." I do both actually. I use the "random mech brush" to make different shapes with different colors, then depending on whether I did an outline sketch first or not, I try to either blend the "noise" to conform to the shapes of the outline, or if there's not outline, blend the noise to make specific shapes.

I hope that explanation makes sense. I sometimes find it very hard to explain things, lol.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @edgarej - Thanks, I'll try because I want those strokes too! If it fails, it's more likely my inability to understand software setting rather than your explanation

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post: