Thanks

C.O.W. #429 - Lightning Mouth - WIPS Thread

C.O.W. #429 - Lightning Mouth  - WIPS Thread

For more info and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #429 - Lightning Mouth

Topic:

#429 Lightning Mouth!

A new creature has been discovered in the depths of the Amazon Rainforest. This creature has the power to harness negatively charged particles in its mouth, making it deadly when hunting during a storm and can shock its prey with bolts of lightning as it bites. Let your creations be...shocking!

Due Tuesday, September 11th!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Hello cow people, first time posting in this area of the site, after watching some of the previous rounds finally got some free time to try this out.
    Anyway, here is my thing with a lightning mouth, I decided to make a snake because that's what I remember when thinking about bites and Amazon Rainforest (Actually I think about anacondas, but those kill by wraping around the prey and breaking bones, not by biting), this is actually the best thing I've ever posted online so thanks for the topic idea.

Name:  Bellua-Mordem _ The lightning mouth (1500px).jpg
Views: 844
Size:  132.0 KB

The idea here was that it atracts the lightning with it's tentacle/spike-things and redirects it to that "bag-thing" it has bellow the mouth, then when it's attacking the eletricity goes to its teeth, just like venom in real venomous snakes.

Here is some of my progress while doing it:

Name:  lightning mouth Wips.png
Views: 842
Size:  241.8 KB
    parseInt( Infinity, 19 );

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weasel.exe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,311 Times in 546 Posts
    Name:  Electro-COW.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  173.5 KB
    Last edited by scorge; September 9th, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Scorge: I like everything about this piece except the tail. The subtle earth tone back ground look great, and I love the loseness of that but it still reads wonderfully. The creature itself is just pure brilliant as always. Really loving how those greens wrap around the forms so well and go in and out of saturation according to the light. The top of the creature is super impressive, I would have never ever thought of something like that. Very cool how it is like biologic electrical grid. The eyes are amazing, that is something different indeed and I love the way you worked out the tongue, hand and feet. Those thumbs on the hands are pure creep factor 3000,lol, reminds me of something a demon or something might have. The only thing that is bugging me a little about this piece is the tail situation, to me it kind of distracts the silhouette of body and looks a little out of place. At first glance the tail was reading as more like a hair braid or something. Either way, amazing works as always!

Painted my ass off on my entry, hope you guys like it....
    Name:  COW429_Lightning2_Fini_96r.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  150.6 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Spearfishing Electric Tapirhino

Here are my wips for a Tapir inspired entry. he uses the lightning as a weapon and lure for fish in the waters of the rainforest.

Name:  lightning_tapir_wip.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  89.7 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to P.A. Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Electric Tapirhino 2

and a more finalized version!

Name:  cow429 Electric Tapirhino PA Thompson.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  147.4 KB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P.A. Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is a tiny, almost mouse sized furry critter, a weird mouse/possum/shrew mix that lives in the canopies of the amazonian trees. It (the species) used to feed on fruits but it got out-competed by the local monkeys for that resource. Luckily, the species adapted and evolved a neat trait and behaviour. It grew a longer snout/trunk and grew lots of oily clumpy fur all over its body, particularly on the bottom of the trunk and under the neck/head. It also happened to live on trees that produce natural rubber - latex (yes, I know those trees are mostly in Asia and not in the Amazon rainforest, but I took some artistic liberty). As per the triboelectric series, oily hair and natural rubber are on the opposite sides of it, and perfect for producing a static charge by rubbing.

The shrew things nibble on the trees (they've still got those fruit munching teeth), cause the latex to "bleed" (the same way humans harvest latex) and then rub themselves on the hardened tree wounds and become little tuffed balls of static electricity. They use their electro-statically charged trunks to "glue" and also zap (stun, or sometimes even kill, depending on how much time they spent rubbing) ants or other tiny critters/insects (which are their new diet). As a bonus the latex tree wounds themselves become charged and serve a secondary purpose of being ant traps. The shrews are brightly coloured (ants don't care) to alert predators: mess with me and I'll weirdly sting you a bit. It works for the most part. They also have longer legs than normal, to avoid depositing the electricity where they don't want to.

Name:  4adxhty.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  116.7 KB

I'm happy with the design and the preliminary sketch, the positioning, composition, perspective , all that, I just need to find some time during this week to actually render it, and make the electric aspect more obvious. I deviated from the prompt in one key part tho, it said the creature harnesses power during a storm. The electric shrew guys work the opposite way. Considering undistilled water is a conductor, they lose all their charge if they get wet. So the pic will be during a heavy rainfall in dusk and therefore with low lighting (the sparks will be visible) and the shrew will be hiding under that leaf to not get wet. There will be some sparks flying between the wet parts of the shrew and the branches etc and probably even some sparks on the dried latex drips.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smiki For This Useful Post: