Thanks

Is This Design Bad?

The prompt was a 'demonic sniper' and I took inspiration from dark souls characters and a unity 3d demo called "Adam" for the design. Not sure if I should have explored more iterations or if the design turned out okay. Don't feel confident in rendering it out if there are huge flaws that I am blind to, thanks!

Name:  3.14s.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  132.5 KB
    Some quick gestural sketches before hand:
    Name:  3.1s.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  390.4 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Function is always something to concern yourself with in design. I was seeing a few designs that were cool looking in themselves, but didn't really seem like good designs for something as specific as a sniper. Covering the eyes of someone noted for marksmanship seems the most fatal of flaws. Additionally, plate armor for a long distance fighter seems...impractical. Give him a giant flaming club and he's right as rain.

You may have seen my entry. It wasn't a serious entry, but I did emphasize the character's ability to remain hidden and his sight. Obviously a hair suit would be a bad design in a world of fire, but whatever. Nobody's perfect.

As a standalone piece, I like what you've done. As a sniper, he's kind of comical. As always, these are just my opinions.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry to say - that doesn't read as a 'sniper'.. demonic or otherwise.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ya, I'm not getting a sniper vibe from him. Possibly because he only has a handgun.

Also, the pose is kind of boring. Both arms out in front the same way. Would be good to see some variation on what each arm is doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Fraser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @David Agree completely, thanks for such a comprehensive critique I see the qualities in your entry that emphasize the characteristics of a good sniper. Ignoring the functionality in lieu of nice shapes seems to be a big mistake haha. I'm glad it works as a stand-alone piece, I really appreciate the support since I feel like I'm not improving much. Thanks for your help, taught me a lot!

@modi Glad to hear! Will have to work on readability and functional identity, thank you.

@Chris Ah that's a good reason, the cross he's holding was supposed to be his main rifle, but it is my fault for not making that clearer. Definitely could have exaggerated his hands a little more but wanted to focus mostly on the design, I'll have to keep that in mind next time though. Thanks for the feedback!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ubem For This Useful Post: