Thanks

Would love some feedback on this painting!

I'm sort of new to digital painting and I'm really struggling with it. I'd love some tips, criticism, and just general feedback on the piece as a whole.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I like it, but the bright pink leaves draw my eye away from her face...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    She's slouching. It's not a good look on anyone. If your figures tend to slouch it probably means you're doing it too. Something to pay attention to.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    All my figures slouch, it's something humans do. If you want your figures to slouch, who cares? She also doesn't look like she's slouching that much to me *shrug*.

The lines don't continue off the composition at her chest, so it immediately feels unfinished. When you're working with lineart and edges connect, the eye goes to those points first. Be sure to describe the full form. Find a reference for her ear, it's apparent that you were guessing there, and it looks pretty unnatural.

Consider the colors on her body, we don't see them in the clouds or anywhere else in the scene. Because of this, the sky feels very flat, and too far forward. Try finding a painting of a similar scene and replicating the colors used on the figure and sky. Where is she? In an urban setting, out in a field, on top of a mountain? Deciding on the setting will help you to establish more convincing colors and lighting effects.

If your petals are on their own layer, desaturate the hue, they're a bit too hot at the moment

Keep going! There's a lot to learn in digital art.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosalsa View Post
    All my figures slouch, it's something humans do. If you want your figures to slouch, who cares? She also doesn't look like she's slouching that much to me *shrug*.
    BLASPHEMY!!!!

Name:  sexybeast.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  272.4 KB

It really just depends on how you like your characters to look. Personally, I'm more of a nine-heads kinda guy. If you're into that "dumpy" seven-and-a-half heads kind of stuff, well, we just can't be friends. I also like the appearance of good posture.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    I mean, I guess if you're critiquing based on an aesthetic opinion that's one thing But it's not very constructive imo. People are not often shaped like superheroes or buff, or even self-aware. I think appreciating the spectrum of humanity is way more important and interesting than trying for the super sexy nine headers all the time. But then, this ain't my thread, so I'll leave it to the artist to take what they will from our blathering.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    I think that's totally valid, but in this instance the OP doesn't seem to be going for the every-day kind of person. It seems more like an ideal. So I think straightening that neck would boost her elegance and synergize well with the power of the low camera angle.

I'm dealing with the spectrum of body positioning if you will. In the left-most image she's tired or depressed looking due to her slump, but dig the power she radiates with her neck being straight. Artshorty's work falls in the center of this, and makes the girl in the image feel lazy to me.
    Name:  UnlimitedPOWAAAA.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  178.2 KB

I'm not advocating for uniformity in drawing figures. Just posture...in this specific instance. Hopefully this makes what I'm saying more clear.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    @artshorty You know what. Do whatever you want. It's your picture. I get carried away tweaking stuff and forget that sometimes. Especially if someone comes along and is like "hey man, you're like wrong and stuff."

Gotta not be wrong. Except in this case. Seeing my advice change the mood so significantly makes me happy, but the change doesn't seem to fit your color scheme. The slumpy look seems to go better with the colors you've selected.

Obviously, you could change the colors....

Do you hear that mangosalsa?! Your scheme to glorify the unkempt is working.
    Sketchbook