Thanks

EOW 324: Underground Metropolis

Underground Metropolis
    Topic suggested by ATAnderson

The ancient wreckage of a giant airship or spacecraft is half buried in the ground of a harsh winter planet. The inside of it was colonized by the survivors and is now a makeshift metropolis. Many years later, the survivors are the inhabitants of the planet, making their way & thriving in whatever way they can. They have made use of the indigenous species of the planet using some for transport, beasts of burden and others for food.

General Guidelines:
    1. Show the undesirable conditions of the planet
    2. Give an impression of the scale of the original craft
    3. Show the use of the indigenous creatures

4. Avoid as much as possible making it look like Hoth! (the real challenge)

Environment Assignments:
    Design the following (4) environments (to qualify for the voting poll, you must have finished with all 4, in any order you choose).

1. Outpost on the Frosty Surface (Piece of the Mammoth Ship Sticking Out of the Ground)

The inhabitants of the city below need a way of knowing what's going on outside. Their outpost is a way to keep informed about the weather conditions and other outside occurrences.

2. Citizen Dwellings

Show where and how the people live in the underground metropolis. What kind of conditions are they dealing with -- where do they use the bathroom? etc.

3. Full view of the city

Show a full view of the underground city.

4. Indigenous Species Nest/Hive/Farm

The indigenous species the underground population uses and works with to survive have their own areas underground where they live and thrive. Show what one such area looks like.

Expectations of the Client

-
    To qualify for the poll, complete all four concepts. They must be final and portfolio-ready, but if they are half-done but look developed enough, we will let them go to poll.
    -If you finish three out of four, or even one out of four, consider this a victory for you and your portfolio development -- or just for fun in general. This is a three to four week project that will challenge you and help you produce substantive work. Artists in the EOW have been asking for something like this for years and many have gone on to become a force in the concept art industry.

Deadline: You will have FOUR weeks to finish your assignment. Due 9/30/2018
    Good luck and give feedback to others!

Last edited by Vulgar`; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:44 PM.
    Website.

Disclaimer: I don't draw or do art but I'm a big fan!
    I write instead and do journalism.

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hold up. So are the general guidelines something we have to show in on my one out of 4 of the pieces or all of them?

Thanks
    Does anyone know how to change graphics tablet settings (what the buttons do and pressure sensitivity) i can't find it in settings or in my drawing software (Paint.sai)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharliesComics View Post
    Hold up. So are the general guidelines something we have to show in on my one out of 4 of the pieces or all of them?
    Great question. Whichever of the pieces apply to it.

1. Show the undesirable conditions of the planet
    Mostly topic 1 but this can apply to all pieces as a general guideline

2. Give an impression of the scale of the original craft
    Topic 1 and 3

3. Show the use of the indigenous creatures

Topic 4

4. Avoid as much as possible making it look like Hoth! (the real challenge)
    Topic 1 & 3
    Website.

Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like the composition in the second thumbnail. It has the appearance of a crashed spacecraft, the scale is on point. I'm interested to see how your colors evolve and what type of metal/material you go for. Tough work!
    Website.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am starting to get a story developing around these sketches. So here is what I have so far.

1. This culture took to the stars after rendering their home planet uninhabitable. They had time, and built a world ship to ferry their people to a new planet they found. Most of their population is in cryo sleep.

2. A revolutionary element of naturalist cultists has been persuaded that they should not destroy this new eden. They set off anti matter bombs in different parts of the world ship after realizing the world ship is in the system and approaching the new settlement planet.

3. In a frenzy people try to eject the remaining cryo pods and seed ships (colony ships) onto a nearby frozen but habitable moon of an outer system gas giant.

4. All of these thumbnails are of people finding or escaping from crashed seed ships in different places around the planet.

5. They search for shelter, equipment, and animals to help rebuild their society. They will have to move underground, but their colony ships are a good starting point to build from.

6. Each of these ships is a base of sorts, and they send out scouts to try and locate the rest of their downed seed ships and connect them together.

7. Any seed ships that were still fully functional set off to colonize the new eden planet, and hopefully return to rescue their stranded people on the frozen planet. The new eden planet was still years off in terms of sub light velocities, and it would be years still until they could build enough of a society that could get back into space. For now, those on the frozen world must make do with what they have to survive.

8. The cultists are still among the remnants of survivors on the frozen world. What havoc and destruction will they pursue in order to keep the culture from rebuilding?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This seems like a fun prompt, but I'm confused about something: you say the inside of this giant ship is now a makeshift metropolis, but you also emphasize tunnels. Are you saying ice / soil has seeped into the crashed ship metropolis and taken it over, and the interior of the ship is now barely recognizable and is just a series of tunnels made of ice / soil? So the only part of the ship recognizable as a ship is the exterior?

Or are you saying the interior of the ship was a metropolis after it first crashed, but generations later, the survivors' descendants have dug their way underground, outside the ship, and live in these tunnels in the planet itself?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Working this up, to see how it sits with me.

Name:  Downed Ship.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  166.4 KB

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diamandis View Post
    This seems like a fun prompt, but I'm confused about something: you say the inside of this giant ship is now a makeshift metropolis, but you also emphasize tunnels. Are you saying ice / soil has seeped into the crashed ship metropolis and taken it over, and the interior of the ship is now barely recognizable and is just a series of tunnels made of ice / soil? So the only part of the ship recognizable as a ship is the exterior?

Or are you saying the interior of the ship was a metropolis after it first crashed, but generations later, the survivors' descendants have dug their way underground, outside the ship, and live in these tunnels in the planet itself?
    This is a great point - love the feedback for the prompt! I've made the changes to reflect this because it does make sense. It's now "underground metropolis" and the ship crashed first before the inhabitants made it into a city underground. Tunnels are no longer a must. Thanks for the logical comments lol
    Website.

Thanks
    haha, you didn't have the change the prompt, I just wanted clarification on the tunnels. But good to know.

Thanks
    Yeah, I know. I think it made sense because the original topic suggestion talked about a tunnel metropolis, but it can't be a traditional metropolis if there are a series of tunnels -- then it'd be a city inside a tunnel. It helps to have an artist cross-check these topics anyhow. Thanks!
    Last edited by Vulgar`; 1 Week Ago at 12:19 AM.
    Website.

Thanks
    Flame_Unquenchable I actually liked your first thumbnail, the mass and scale is more evident when the tip of the spaceship touches clouds.

Attachment 2300537

Made of sketch of the ship surrounded by auroras, I think I can work with this composition.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aotix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Composition sketches.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aotix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought I'd make the ship a gigantic generation ship, like an old school rotating space station w/ buildings and an artificial environment + atmosphere built along the interior surfaces. Except I made mine hexagonal instead of round. I also wanted to give the exterior a skeletal design, like the ship in the original Dead Space. Here are some early exploration thumbs and a rough blockout I ended up with.

Name:  thumbs-01.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  thumbs-02.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  wip-03.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  wip-04.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  wip-02.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  182.6 KB

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @flame_unquenchable... I like the very first thumbnail you posted. It reminds me of star wars battleships.
    @aotix... some of your images aren't showing through for me...
    @diamandis... I can't wait to see where you take this. The generation ship idea is very cool.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    diamandis: Really sweet design, is that only a part of the spaceship? With the rest buried underneath?

Did some more sketches
    Name:  proj_underground_metropolis_draft.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  178.4 KB

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aotix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really been focused on trying to figure out a different composition for my ship scale drawing. None of the ones I have been working on have really gripped me. I did some more thumbs with traditional media and tried to change up perspectives and shapes and even time of day. Plus I tried to do a few comps for the other parts of the challenge.

Don't mind the colors on the left side, they are just to give me an idea of light, perspective, and to differentiate shapes. I would adjust all the colors in those left hand thumbs to be ice themed if I chose one.

Name:  20180918_160546.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  140.0 KB Name:  Thumbnails.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  142.3 KB

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff people! I'm sitting out on this one, too little time plus wanna see exactly what it is first

Thanks
    @Aotix: I dunno what I was thinking with that original blockout. I fixed it in this update, so one of the main sections of the ship is buried partway.

Name:  wip-05.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  92.0 KB

Rough render of two of the living sections. Needs a lot of work: the generic building designs are placeholders, and a lot of the buildings near the snow should have their lights off (no one's living there). I also don't know whether to say the artificial gravity survived the crash, or whether to just move everyone to the lower living areas on the ground planes, and decommission the vertical and upside-down living areas.

Name:  wip-06.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  126.1 KB

Early progress on an interior. I plan on making it really grimy, with body parts of the native animals hanging from hooks in the ceiling, like in a meat freezer.

Name:  wip-07.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  66.0 KB

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Way more happier with this. There are a few things that bug me still, will have to figure them out to polish it.

Attachment 2301256
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; 2 Days Ago at 02:12 AM.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, I think I am done with this one. Time to work on the Animal Moving and the Cityscape.

Name:  Ship Outpost.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  51.8 KB

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post: