Thanks

Environment Art Critique - Path of Ancients

Hello Everyone!

I'm trying to improve my drawing and painting ability, both in the traditional and digital area. I'd appreciate a critique of a painting I've just finished. I know I have a lot of work to do in terms of perspective, composition, and colour harmony but I'd also like to hear your opinions on where I can improve. This started out as a value study and I enjoyed doing it so much that I went forward with a full painting. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated, as I really do want to hear from people with more experience on how I could improve.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psd9hgk5p2.png

Last edited by Axell2212; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:42 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Axell2212 View Post
    I know I have a lot of work to do in terms of perspective, composition, and colour harmony but I'd also like to hear your opinions on where I can improve.
    I mean, that about covers it, but since you're asking...

The colors for the time of day are wrong. Also, the pillars are too uniform in appearance. I'd vary their height and give your audience something to focus on; one of the magic symbols perhaps.
    Name:  dssdsdsds.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  410.5 KB
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    I'm not an experienced landscape artist, but I can throw in my two cents!

At first glance, there is too much silhouette. The left side of the composition feels very heavy and oppressive, which takes away from the airy loveliness of the right side. Introduce middle tones and structural details to give us something to hold on to. There needs to be a stronger tonal and hue differentiation from the cliff in the foreground to the waterfall in the back. I almost didn't notice they were different planes at first. The angle of the waterfall would work better if it were more vertical; because it curves so closely to the cliff, the eye naturally glues those edges together. Creating a nice vertical on the edge of the composition also keeps the eye from getting confused and bored.

As for the colors of the time of day...I'm not exactly sure what you mean, David. I felt that the colors felt nicely tuned in to midmorning sunlight. Are you referring to the angle of the light?
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosalsa View Post
    As for the colors of the time of day...I'm not exactly sure what you mean, David. I felt that the colors felt nicely tuned in to midmorning sunlight. Are you referring to the angle of the light?
    Yes. It looks noonish to me, but with shadows that would be impossible at that time of day. It just feels weird. Different colors help make it feel not weird.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice both of you! I would have to agree that the colors of the light/sky don't match the direction of the sun at that time of day. Since the position of the light and the sun would be early to mid-morning, the colors would have to be more yellow/red in tone. I tried to fix that, as well as the composition. It truly was too harsh on the eyes with those columns being uniform in shape and height.