Thanks

Catherine, stylized character

Hi!
    I am working on a character inspired by a legend from a small village in Canada. She's a innkeeper who was known to be very tall and strong enough to knock out a moose with a punch.
    I am going for a stylized character, but I have trouble with the proportions right now. I want to put emphasis on her arms and make her look very strong. Any comments and critiques would be very appreciated Catherine, stylized character Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Define some shoulder muscles instead of a flat plane.. the delts, traps, etc.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Show me how her legs are inserted in her pelvis.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thank you both for your replies!
    modi123, I've added more muscle definition. I might try pushing it more, see how it looks.
    eezacque, thanks for pointing that out, it made me realize I had done many mistakes with the left leg! I hope it looks correct now.
    Here's the updated sketch.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FlorenceThibault For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I understand the moose's leg is probably folded back under itself - but it looks like a stump. Maybe it would look better if both legs were outstretched? Now with the way with the picture is framed this could ruin the composition - so at least have a play with the leg placement. If it doesn't work it doesn't work, but the way it is now is bugging me.

Thanks
    Fun subject! The issue is, because her leg is at such an angle, she looks off balance. Shifting the grounded foot to be directly plumb (vertically aligned) to the head will help. The flasks at her hip throw me off a little. At first, my eye thought she was holding one because they are on the same horizontal as the hand on her hip. The design would flow better if they followed the angle of her upper body. On that note, her hips and her shoulders are facing two very different directions. To help sell this, there should be creases and changes in the clothing, affected by the twist. While the towel is a nice touch, combined with the moose's antlers, it obfuscates the silhouette of the hip a bit too much, which contributes to the feeling of unbalance in the grounded leg.

I'd like to see a bump or a dent on the moose's head to show us that he's been punched. At the moment, it could be that she just found a knocked-out moose along the road and decided to take a selfie with it

I really like where this is going, and I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    AJams, I rotated a little bit the moose's leg so we see all of it. I hope it works better now, thanks for your comment!

mangosalsa, thank you for your critique! I reduced the angle of her grounded leg and did a slight rotation of her foot so she looks more in balance. I tried a version with her foot directly aligned with her head, but I think it makes it look like she doesnt have any weight on the moose. Here's what it looks like. Let me know if I'm mistaken!
    Name:  Catherine12_aligned.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  187.6 KB
    You're right about the flasks, they look better when aligned to her torso. I also worked on some twisting folds on her torso and removed the towel like you suggested.

Let me know if anything still looks off, I'll be moving on to cleaning and detailing the sketch after that

Name:  Catherine12.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  257.7 KB

Thanks
    I think changing the angle of the foot really helped If you'd like to continue tweaking this piece, here are a few more suggestions:

The feet seem too small. Even if they're stylized, they're quite tiny. Widening the point where the knuckles of the toes would be, in a slightly more exaggerated wedge shape would make it look less impossible.
    I would take some time to review those hands. The hand that is fisted on the waist doesn't have much definition and looks a bit stumpy at the moment.
    A major anatomical flaw that really detracts is the angle of the clavicle (or collarbone). The center line of the torso also changes a couple of times. These are tweaks you can make that will really improve her position.
    I made a (very) crude paintover for you to try to illustrate what's happening in the drawing. Name:  Catherine12.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  193.0 KB

Good luck!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Thanks again for taking the time to comment my work mangosalsa! I scaled up the feet and work on their shape. Let me know if they still seem too small. I also corrected the center line of her torso, I hope it looks correct now!

I've cleaned up the sketch and started adding some flat colors.

Thanks
    I neglected to say it in my original post, but I do think overall the image is pretty great. I like the character. I think maaaaaaybe her foot atop the moose's head should be larger as that foot is closer in space to us the viewer. But really I'm liking the flat colours so far.