Thanks

Changing careers?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll do it anyways.

I'm curious if anyone in here once had a well established, lucrative career in an unrelated (to art) field and ended up leaving to start an art career (which I assume paid considerably less to start)?

I'm in my mid 30's with a career in an unrelated field but have always wanted to make the move into a creative, art related path. In fact, before I started my current job, I went to school for computer graphics/animation and this job was just supposed to be temporary until I found something in the industry. My current job sort of took off in the early days and I ended up making more and more money over the years and it became harder and harder to leave because of it (not a bad problem to have I realize). That was over 10 years ago now though and I have massive regrets about not going for it in the art industry and am really not interested/passionate about the industry I am in (IT).

I realize that my art skills aren't up to par to be able to move right this moment but I think it would be inspiring/helpful to hear of people who were where I'm at now who made the jump.

So, anyone have a story like that? How old were you when you changed jobs/careers? Did it pan out like you thought it would? Was it weird starting a junior role as an older person?

Edit: Wanted to also mention that I'm not planning on just up and quitting anytime soon. I've got a mortgage that won't let me do that! Just looking for some inspiration, I think.
    Last edited by Chris Fraser; August 20th, 2018 at 05:20 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,546 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Most art jobs are freelance now. Whether freelance or in-house only portfolio matters, all other things being equal the best portfolio gets the job. Know the market you want to be in, know everything about it, how it works and what is expected for your skillsets. I didn't start my professional art career until I was 35 I had a few professional jobs before that but nothing that would sustain me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Make sure to do research on exactly what kind of art style are in decent demand, what kind of works are popular , as you might find having an art career isn't as cool and fun as you expected.

It's fun and all to be with your fellow aspiring artists and dream about that dream career. But just like any other fields, you're there to please your employers or your audiences . And it might happen that the kind of work you like is few and far between while most of the work you do , you don't neccessarily care about. Then you're just back to your ol boring job but with half pay

Or just be a gesture expert

Thanks
    Lol, had to hit me with the gesture advice.

Ya, there are definitely some studios in town here making cool looking games. The Coalition, Activision, Capcom, just to name a few of the bigger ones. Plus, tons of smaller studios.

I'm fully willing to work my way up in the industry. It won't matter so much exactly what I'm creating, as long as I'm creating something and have something to show what I have achieved at the end of the day (even if its only something small). I'm just so tired of having nothing to show at the end of the day. Its soul sucking to be a creative person with nothing to create.

On the plus side, I've greatly improved my communications and personal skills over the last 10 years. I manage a team at an SaaS company. I'm sure those communications and problem solving skills will be invaluable wherever I may end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Puruishi View Post
    Make sure to do research on exactly what kind of art style are in decent demand, what kind of works are popular , as you might find having an art career isn't as cool and fun as you expected.

It's fun and all to be with your fellow aspiring artists and dream about that dream career. But just like any other fields, you're there to please your employers or your audiences . And it might happen that the kind of work you like is few and far between while most of the work you do , you don't neccessarily care about. Then you're just back to your ol boring job but with half pay

Or just be a gesture expert

Thanks
    Personally I would try to be more specific. What kind of skillset , style, subject matter ... etc that you're willing to work in as well as what's in the demand of the companies/audiences. You're already a working man, then you would know for sure that at the end of the day, everybody is looking for someone who can do the work they require.

I have problems with these kind of thread where it is just so bloody general that basically leads to nowhere. Somebody's success story might not even apply to you, that guy might happen to be at the right place at the right time where there's someone looking for what he creates .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Puruishi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, I think you might be reading into this post a bit though. I wasn't looking for examples that I can copy or anything like that. Was just curious if anyone had been in a good job for a while who made the switch and what their story was. Not like "tell me exactly what to do guys!" or anything like that. I'm certain that most peoples success stories won't apply directly to me. Like you said, a lot of it is right place at the right time and all that.

Still I think it would be interesting to hear them. Maybe someone else will see it. Maybe someone will get some hope and make the jump and see that people can switch careers. I don't know.

My "plan" is still extremely rough. I went into the topic a bit more deeply in my sketchbook on here. I'll be experimenting with different disciplines for a while till I settle on something and then go from there.

Thanks again for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Puruishi View Post
    Personally I would try to be more specific. What kind of skillset , style, subject matter ... etc that you're willing to work in as well as what's in the demand of the companies/audiences. You're already a working man, then you would know for sure that at the end of the day, everybody is looking for someone who can do the work they require.

I have problems with these kind of thread where it is just so bloody general that basically leads to nowhere. Somebody's success story might not even apply to you, that guy might happen to be at the right place at the right time where there's someone looking for what he creates .