Thanks

Talking my first face drawing

ur critique will be much appreciated ♥
    Name:  39685765_2192633347690746_8010021824156925952_n.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  81.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    eyebrows dont match. eyes need work, they are not aligned. neck needs work. i suggest study face anatomy. for example, i would start with Reilly method. study the facial planes, it will help a lot. good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to UnusedPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi molres. I like the fact that you aren't afraid to put in those occlusion shadows. While it does have some issues, it is reading as an attractive woman- Angelina Jolie? If this is truly your first portrait, then I'm impressed!

That being said, if you do not know about constructive drawing, or constructing your drawings, please put some research in this area. It will help you map out features in perspective, think of the face and all it's elements as 3D shapes and planes, and will allow you to understand how to light and shade it more convincingly. It will really organize the process of making portraits, keep your perspective of the face in check, and I feel it makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Andrew Loomis has a go-to head construction method that is very popular. Proko describes it pretty well in a series of youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

There are other artists who have similar contruction methods. Some are simple and some are more complex. I'd recommend starting with one, and you can branch out from there. Eventually you can tweak things to your own liking.

Good luck, and great job for your first portrait.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is a simple analysis that might show you one reason why we are recommending a constructive method.

While there's proportion and placement issues, your value structure indicates that you are not understanding the forms of the face. You've shaded the right side of the nose pretty darkly. That side of the nose has a specific angle relationship to the angle and direction of the light source. Therefore other forms on the face that share a similar angle to that of the side of the nose, will get a similar value structure. You haven't indicated those common planes with the way you've shaded your portrait. The side of the face and the different subtle elements that share a similar plane angle with the nose, isn't shaded in the same manner. The neck, you've made it into one flat plane, instead of thinking of it as roughly a cylinder shape, that will receive light, and shade.

I think you were using this as a reference? I've tried to indicate some of the areas that share similar angles to the side of the nose. Notice how they have a similar value to the side of the nose.

Name:  Untitled-7.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  238.6 KB

When you start learning about construction it will make a lot more sense to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    1.Study proportions like said earlier, dont worry about shading as if your drawing isn't correct you cannot save it by adding tones to it Proko also got videos for features https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4UT-yUo7pC13GQ.
    2.Take a look asaro heads for planes of face: thread about it http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-The-Head-work. For lighting take a look these https://youtu.be/V3WmrWUEIJo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqG...6&index=6&t=0s You can do simple still life from life using one light, set up your paper so you can see subject and your drawing sametime. You can do this on side along, this will be lot easier drawing wise than face would be so you can focus on tones and think of planes like in one of prokos videos how to shade. What is missing in your shades is clear indication of light and shadow so dont be afraid to add darks
    3. Once you get both done and feeling like you can tackle face, get in front of mirror and do self portrait don't use photos as it you get to control lights and you don't have to work out from photos that have bad lighting, set up would be same as in still life but you as model

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think an easier answer is just to draw more faces and to draw more heads. It's not going to be right the first time, you can't draw your first face and it will be perfect. You have to draw a lot - and you'll learn from your experiences. You can't just post your first drawing and ask for critique - because we can say everything that needs correcting but you don't have the mileage to do that yet. So draw a hell of a lot more faces and you'll look back on this one and see your mistakes.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would just be cautious with the "if I draw enough, I'll improve" thought. I personally didn't see significant improvement in my work until I put some time into learning how to build up my drawings. Progress before that was painfully slow and drawing felt super tedious. If I had enough time with a model or still life, I could get pretty good looking images, but I was a slave to having to look at a model or real life reference. I guess it depends on the type of art you want to make.and perhaps the type of you person you are. I know not everything is universal, but for me structure + drawing time + observation makes me learn and improve more efficiently.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpysaur View Post
    I would just be cautious with the "if I draw enough, I'll improve" thought. I personally didn't see significant improvement in my work until I put some time into learning how to build up my drawings. Progress before that was painfully slow and drawing felt super tedious. If I had enough time with a model or still life, I could get pretty good looking images, but I was a slave to having to look at a model or real life reference. I guess it depends on the type of art you want to make.and perhaps the type of you person you are. I know not everything is universal, but for me structure + drawing time + observation makes me learn and improve more efficiently.
    I think you are forgetting applying, where you test yourself, did you really learned anything and what you need study more

Thanks
    That was supposed to be implied when I said "drawing time", though I didn't specifically include it. Would you say structure(studying fundamentals)+drawing time+applying your studies+observation is a good formula?

Thanks
    My bad Well that's really depends on goal, if you wanna draw from imagination then of course you need to practice that as well, but yea without studies your personal work is going to be wonky.