Thanks

Character consept art

Hey guys! I'm looking for some critique on these characters. Whatever it may be, if something stands out. I've tried to make the poses more interesting compared to what I've made before, but I feel it could still improve quite alot.

Name:  girl2 copy.png
Views: 1415
Size:  310.0 KBName:  sikh copy.png
Views: 1392
Size:  227.3 KBName:  oldfarmer copy.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  75.3 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Why does everyone have red noses?
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    modi - because they all have colds, it's flu chic.

Anyway, I quite like how all of these look. I like the painting style. One thing I have to question though is if the first girl is meant to be old or young? She's kind of trendy looking but her eyes look quite droopy and tired. Her boobs also look quite low for someone that's meant to be younger (sorry, there was no polite way of phrasing this). But generally I quite like them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're right, they're all supposed to be sick. Thank you for the feedback, I see your point about the girl.

Thanks
    I really enjoy how normal they look, just people on the street with little flaws The colors in the first two characters are quite nice, especially the fellow with the turban. You've used punchy colors that are complimentary without being garish.

The skirt meets the knee in an awkward geometric way, it looks like you got frustrated with the knee and covered it. The old man has nice characterization, I feel how gloomy he is. The hat isn't convincing me (maybe it needs some more defining details), and the hand holding it is claw like. His neck should be visible.

I'd definitely recommend practicing hands to build your confidence.

Great work, I can see some real potential. DO A BUNCH!

EDIT: Your style and colors remind me of Breath of the Wild. There's a beautiful concept art book that I've seen in Barnes and Noble. It might be worth checking it out.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm enjoying your characters and like your style. Something that stands out to me is that your hands don't have a sense of interaction with the elements they are on. Can't think of how to articulate this idea, but it kind of reminds me of how you might put a barbie doll's hand on an object. Sure it's on an object, but it looks like it's just resting there. I think adding some cast and occlusion shadows, as well as playing with some wrinkling or making the object under it "squish" a little would solve this problem.

Best of luck with your work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosalsa View Post
    I really enjoy how normal they look, just people on the street with little flaws The colors in the first two characters are quite nice, especially the fellow with the turban. You've used punchy colors that are complimentary without being garish.

The skirt meets the knee in an awkward geometric way, it looks like you got frustrated with the knee and covered it. The old man has nice characterization, I feel how gloomy he is. The hat isn't convincing me (maybe it needs some more defining details), and the hand holding it is claw like. His neck should be visible.

I'd definitely recommend practicing hands to build your confidence.

Great work, I can see some real potential. DO A BUNCH!

EDIT: Your style and colors remind me of Breath of the Wild. There's a beautiful concept art book that I've seen in Barnes and Noble. It might be worth checking it out.
    Thank you Great points about the skirt and the hat. And you're right, I definitely should draw more hands. Will check out the artbook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpysaur View Post
    I'm enjoying your characters and like your style. Something that stands out to me is that your hands don't have a sense of interaction with the elements they are on. Can't think of how to articulate this idea, but it kind of reminds me of how you might put a barbie doll's hand on an object. Sure it's on an object, but it looks like it's just resting there. I think adding some cast and occlusion shadows, as well as playing with some wrinkling or making the object under it "squish" a little would solve this problem.

Best of luck with your work.

Thank you for the feedback I can see what you mean with the hands. They look pretty static. I will try to implement your suggestions on my next character!