Thanks

Artist Want to get into AAA game industry (Blizzard)

Hi all,
    I am working as an lead digital artist in a small Hong Kong mobile game company for 4years + 1year freelancing, and now I really want to move into the AAA game company (especially blizzard). Here is my website if you are curious about my art ( www.jason-Yikai.com )
    I know i知 Not AAA quality and my art style is not blizzard at all. But I知 ready to quit my current job to study and push my art much further. I値l say I know a bit of everything (illustration, 3D modeling, animation, sfx, UI, etc) but now I want to specialize at either 2d environment concept art or 3D environment art.

Right now I have 3 plans and really want your suggestion.
    1. Use all the money I saved up to Study at FZD and push my concept art skill as far as possible and build a quality environment art portfolio (in blizzard art style which I love) and become a concept artist

2. Use all my money + borrow money from my parent to Study at Gnomon 2 year course and push my 3D skills as far as possible and build a quality 3D environment portfolio in blizzard art style + try my best to make connection during the time in Hollywood.

3. Set one year time and study by myself from any online resources, become a great 3D environment artist, and use the money to travel to Big conference/event etc to try pitch my portfolio to AAA art director.

I have so many doubt and want to hear what you all think. I like both 2D or 3D environment art and As long as I have a higher chance to work in blizzard... I will do it (It may sound silly but dude I love blizzard since I was a kid, and now i am 29 I don稚 want to waste any more time and want to climb the mountain) I am living in Hong Kong it is pretty hard to make any connection with any AAA people or get a visa. Also mobile game industry in Hong Kong is all about anime girl and gacha mico transaction. Therefore I know this is not a want for the rest of my life and remember my childhood favorite dream... the environment of Warcraft.

Any suggestion and feedback will appreciate.

Cheers,
    Jason
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    To Know More About Yi Kai
    My Facebook art page
    Twitter

Feel free to Add me. I need Art Friends.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Why do you have to quit your job to do any of these things? Don’t throw all your money away. You can study and work at the same time - the fact that you’re already planning on borrowing money from your parents says that you don’t have the money you should have to be unemployed.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,624 Times in 4,561 Posts
    Do 3 while you're working. If you're freelancing, you can control how much you need to live on. You need to work smart, let people know when you're unavailable, but don't tell them why. It might make them think you're ultra busy so worth more, but don't over cook it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thx Octopuscats for your reply and Yea option two may sound silly & spoil, but does offer some great benefit that option 3 don’t offer (Like the connection with top tier teacher, America visa and the learning environment.
    The reason why I’ll need to quit my current job is because it is draining all my energy from 9:00am to 7:00pm. The remaining time (3-4hours) I can only draw something simple and learn so little. Then remaining time I use 1hr for dinner, 1hr travel back home, 1-2hr to maintain my relationship, and it is already 1:00am. I had been trying to work and learn at the same time for the past 2 years, and it did make some progress but very slow.
    Anyway thanks for your suggestion. I know some artist may able to do it but right I feel like my progress is too slow.
    My Facebook art page
    Twitter

Thanks
    Thanks so much for your advise Blackspot! And yes going back to freelance maybe a great option too! I will consider that too. But 1,2,3option May make a quicker progress, and I want to set a time like one and half year to push myself as hard as possible and if i still fail to get into AAA, I can still go back to freelance or back to full time and learn safely.
    My Facebook art page
    Twitter