Thanks

Need critique on this study

Name:  IMG_20180815_190814_754-1024x1024.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  147.6 KB

I'm trying to improve my painting skills
    as well as my understanding of light and Shadow, and started doing more studies. I would appreciate a critique
    Last edited by chenrsf; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not a bad start.

I would suggest reevaluating the face, and the detail in the pelvic region with the hand, belt, rope, etc. It's a solid block out, but now you can flip to a more detailed pen in go in to shape it all up.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    I like the approach with simple shapes, you're on the right track.

I say if you're studying light and shadow, actually JUST do light and shadow. You're getting a lot of things confused as to whether they are in light or shadow, and you are also exagerrating values and adding a lot of details. Pick only two colors for each object to represent the general aspect of light and shadow, ignoring highlights. And then just draw the shapes of light and shadow.

The entire face is in shadow. I know it looks like it's in light but it's not. The light is reflecting from the wall and from below, or the camera person may have even put another light source behind him. When you go to break up the face simply do the same as you did in the light. Divid it into light and shadow using big simple shapes, only this time its secondary light.

Another place is the gloves. You're seeing reflected light and thinking it's light.

Views: 866
Size:  82.7 KB

You may be falling into the trap of when something isn't reading, you add another shape, or make something near it darker/lighter to get it to stand out. Stop! You're adding inessential information, and the details are starting to get blown way out of proportion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    I like the approach with simple shapes, you're on the right track.

I say if you're studying light and shadow, actually JUST do light and shadow. You're getting a lot of things confused as to whether they are in light or shadow, and you are also exagerrating values and adding a lot of details. Pick only two colors for each object to represent the general aspect of light and shadow, ignoring highlights. And then just draw the shapes of light and shadow.

The entire face is in shadow. I know it looks like it's in light but it's not. The light is reflecting from the wall and from below, or the camera person may have even put another light source behind him. When you go to break up the face simply do the same as you did in the light. Divid it into light and shadow using big simple shapes, only this time its secondary light.

Another place is the gloves. You're seeing reflected light and thinking it's light.

Views: 866
Size:  82.7 KB

You may be falling into the trap of when something isn't reading, you add another shape, or make something near it darker/lighter to get it to stand out. Stop! You're adding inessential information, and the details are starting to get blown way out of proportion.
    Very late reply but thank you so much! I'll try to apply everything for my next study.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    Not a bad start.

I would suggest reevaluating the face, and the detail in the pelvic region with the hand, belt, rope, etc. It's a solid block out, but now you can flip to a more detailed pen in go in to shape it all up.
    Thanks a lot! I can definitely see some issues with the face now