Thread: Advice on color

Thanks

Advice on color

Hello everyone! I am mainly working on color now, and I would very much appreciate any advice regarding that. Shadows, color theory, color composition, whatever it is. Any other kind of advice would be great as well.

Here is the latest piece I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Before you start on colour id look into anatomy, proportions and the planes of the face, right now you're drawing symbols for most things. Try to pick a main light source and stick to it, right now its completely random. You have decent edge control though. Just take a step back and look into the fundamentals for now. Good luck.

Thanks
    That girl's hard is looking a little stiff there . I would advice you to study some gesture drawing

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks
    Hi there, color is a beast! It looks like you tried to apply complementary colors here, which is a great start. I'd suggest beginning with a much more desaturated (meaning more grey) palette, and introduce color gradually. What's happening, is that the sense of depth created by tone and value is a little lost. This is particularly an issue where the orange fuzzy stuff in the background meets the flat color of the sky(?). Am I right to notice an overlay used on the left side of the figure? While this is a cool effect, if there are not enough values in the image, it causes the scene to look flat because the contrast is too strong. Her eyes are also a little bit too primary to be convincing. Try introducing a little bit of green and grey, or maybe red and grey in order to give it a more realistic appearance.

If you really want to learn color, grab some books on Impressionist painting. Mary Cassatt, in particular, is a fantastic reference point. Try to replicate their colors and compositions digitally. You'll learn a lot.

Edit: The way that you drew her hair reminded me of this game. Which I highly recommend checking out.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Yes, I guess I will lay down on the color for a while and work on my values a little bit. Thank you for the great advice.