Thanks

Is this Mentorship too expensive?

A quite known artist on youtube offers a mentorship for 200 bucks a month. You get two hour long one on one sessions every month. Is this expensive for a mentorship? I have absolutely no exp. in this topic.

Opinions?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 995 Posts
    I think it is too expensive for online mentorship, but it might be worth the money for a physical one-on-one with some teaching included. Who is this quite known artist?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    ModernDayJames

Thanks
    At $100 an hour?! Yes, too expensive. Internet fame doesn't always amount to much in the real world. There must be lots of other online workshops that offer a better value. The local watercolor society had a workshop with an artist who had won all kinds of awards internationally and his workshop was $395 for 5 days (7 hours a day). This presumes a certain level of skill, of course. If I were keen on shelling out money, I'd just go to the university and audit a course for a semester.
    "A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Thanks
    CGMA cost $700 but it's a 9 weeks program with video lessons and homework critique sessions every week. Learn squared is $500 on a few courses I think.

You may wanna be careful with this type of youtube art celebrity , I don't have experience with the guy to comment on him though . However. so-so people can play the social media game and when they got famous, they can act like they're totally legit top tier even if they aren't that great at art or teaching specifically
    Last edited by Puruishi; 5 Days Ago at 06:59 PM.

Thanks
    Agreed. Schoolism in about 1k and takes 12-13 weeks per. class, there's also weekly feedback for assignments, correct if I'm wrong so there you have loads of choice, pick carefully what you wanna learn and from who, look up their work before choosing and you can always ask about class if you are not sure about it, like you did with this
    Last edited by stonec; 5 Days Ago at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    I think it's too much. But you could do worse. I would give MDJ 200 bucks for a few hours before I spend it on a mindless university class, for example.
    However, you would probably get more value out of buying Scott Robertson's How to Draw (similar material as MDJ) and watching the online videos that come with it. Depends on the level you are at currently. Do you still have a lot to learn from the 'cheap' options? Then do those. Spend wisely!

In my experience, I do think that having a real one-on-one mentoring is indispensable, but you can find it more generously if you look in the right places.

Edit: thinking about it, I don't actually think it's overpriced. But you might still be better off in the long run with some of the other options listed.
    Last edited by JoeCowan; 5 Days Ago at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    I won't say whether it's expensive or not, but I'll throw in another mentorship just for comparison's sake. Peter Mohrbacher's mentorships are $600 per month. Details of what you get are on his site. https://www.vandalhigh.com/mentorships/

Thanks
    I don't think 200USD for two properly paced and intense hours of personalized instruction is excessive.

The question is what you're looking for. I like James' videos a lot and he has some valuable content regarding constructive drawing and how to think about perspective, largely inspired/informed by Robertson's approach as detailed in "How to Draw", but much less technical.

However, I can't find any significant amount of work besides his constructive drawings (which are excellent). What little I could find, e.g. on instagram, in terms of finished paintimngs/ full-colour illustrations, concepts etc. is not good enough that I would recommend spending 200USD for instruction on these matters. He calls himself "aspiring" concept designer, which I take to mean that he has no extensive industry experience.

This is in total contrast to Mohrbacher of course, who has an extended body of professional work and lots of real life experience under his belt- but is more expensive, obviously.

So if it is the fundamentals of drawing you're after, I don't see a reason not try & test one month and see if it works for you. If you're looking beyond that topic (painting, colour, light, professional best practices, actual concept design and concept design workflows, particularily 3D), you should probably look elsewhere.

Thanks
    It would obviously depend on the quality of the university, professors, and curriculum whether it's worth anything or not (I'd jump at a chance to do stone lithography again without a second thought, though. ). Same with buying into an "internet famous" artist's Patreon. Do your research first. Maybe try a lower tier lesson to see if you even like their teaching method.
    "A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."