Thread: der helpen, ja

Thanks

der helpen, ja

3D base + photobash + light overpainting. Not sure what to fix on this. The water on the lower right could use some highlight reflections from the towers, and the trees / cliff face on the right edge could use some highlights, but I want to downplay those two areas, not make them focal points, so I think they're fine (maybe they're in shadow, like the framing tree in the far left fg).

Things I might add:
    - Some tiny ant-size figures for scale next to the spaceship, on the landing pad. And maybe a zigzagging trail leading up to the right towers.
    - A giant sci-fi ringworld thing up in the clouds. Or maybe this scene is part of the ringworld / halo itself, which curves up behind the clouds into the distance.
    - The distant tower surfaces seem kinda bland ... but dunno if they need more detailing or texture, since they're bg elements.
    - I'm not sure if the right half of this area is supposed to be abandoned or decaying or what. Maybe I could add more signs of disuse?

Name:  enviro-AA-06.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  156.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'd ditch that tree in the foreground it takes up almost a third of the composition, or maybe replace it with a partial visible curve of the mentioned ring world. Perhaps use it to guide the eye through the composition: sweeping down from the top left through the background hills and to the foreground ship/towers?

At a glance I'd say the towers in the background are supposed to be much larger than the foreground ones, and that they're probably some distance away. The thing that's throwing off my perception of scale/distance are the arches (monorail track?)
    I'm guessing they're the same continuous track, only the arches in the distance look wider, where as the curved ones in the foreground look like they're tighter and more numerous, which is the opposite of what I'd expect.

Thanks
    The question is - where do you want to go with this? Nothing really sticks out. The focus is.. meh. Sure there's a washed out red thing in the center, but then again there are a ton of giant buildings. Outside of the lights being on are no sign of people.

Also I am thrown off by the scale. The buildings look massive, right? There's trees, an aqueduct thing, etc to show these are truly huge.. but then you have birds rolling around BEHIND them and makes me wonder how big those birds are.

Adding people would be crazy in scale.. like single pixel hash marks floating around.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Thanks guys, good stuff to think about. The lack of focus / interest is definitely an issue, and the confusing relative scale of things is too. I've heard other people say that's often an issue with enviro pieces--scale can get muddled if objects that are present at multiple different distances (scale cues) don't look like they're scaled correctly. I'll think about revisions and have something to show when I have more time in a couple days.

Thanks
    All right, I made a few updates, mostly just to test out how revisions feel in a 3D --> photobash workflow. Kind of a pain. I'm starting to see why people favor leaning more heavily on 3D. This one has a lot of photobashing on top, with lots of masks used all over the place, originally generated by the 3D app. All those masks are tedious to replace manually, after making modifications to the 3D.

Anyway, I shrunk the bg towers, made the perspective on the rail / aqueduct better so that it read as more distant, moved the fg tree left so it wasn't taking up as much space as before (was gonna get rid of it, but I liked it), and got rid of the birds. I also added some random trim to the ship so it stands out more. Not gonna do the ringworld thing after all.

Gonna call this experiment done / abandoned. I thought I was into this workflow at first, but now I dunno. You get some cool results, but the more fine-grained photobashing you do, the more tedious it ends up being, and revisions to the 3D base screw everything up.

Name:  enviro-AA-07.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  150.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 33