Thanks

Need help with painting Water (or tea, I guess)

EDIT:
    Painting is finished. Thanks for all the helpful comments. If you would like to see the finished painting, it is over yonder...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...k-I-m-finished
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone. How are we?
    So, I've been trying to wrap my brain around, painting the colored water (which is tea by the way), that you can see in this unfinished painting. I guess I have 2 problems.

One, is that I'm not sure how to properly paint water. I've always painted water to look, sorta of like reflective - distorted glass. Which worked for the kinda of paintings I normally create. But...this leads me to my next problem.

I'm not sure how to paint water, when the desired effect I want, is to see THROUGH that water. That said, I want to be able to see the body of the pixie - girl, that is submerged in water (such a strange sentence to say out loud lol....). Also, I don't want the painting to be too lewd. You know? So, I would prefer to keep her nipples covered some how. I tried to attempt this "reflection effect", but I'm not sure if it makes sense or it looks great or not...Not that I'm saying that nipples are lewd or anything like that. Just like... trying to keep the painting pg 13? I guess?...lol...I don't know. Blame society for stigmatizing against exposed nipples. #free the nipple... lol...

So with that said... I could use some advice on how to paint the tea and the pixie - girl's body, that is submerged underneath that tea. Any advice, references, or anything, will be much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mr. Midnight; August 10th, 2018 at 11:26 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Study the real thing! That is, set up a simple still life with water and something submerged.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good advice. Thanks! I've been using reference photos, but I didn't think about actually making a still life...Still going to be tough, though. But I'll try it out!

Thanks
    you might have to go with a sharper brush instead of a thick one but maybe at a flow of 45 reference a bit from a tea picture and i just remembered somehow objects appear darker when submerged in water so make the teabag sign and parts of the body darker than those not submerged. also add in that steam

Thanks
    For the reflections of the ligth on the water, try to use a hard brush, not a diffused, maybe 2 or 3 tones on that water or tea, take in count the shadows of the body at the deep zone of the cup. Try to use a different brush for the hair, the skin, the cup, that would help to the composition.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rapxic View Post
    you might have to go with a sharper brush instead of a thick one but maybe at a flow of 45 reference a bit from a tea picture and i just remembered somehow objects appear darker when submerged in water so make the teabag sign and parts of the body darker than those not submerged. also add in that steam
    Yeah. According to my...uh...nude reference, I notice that the body gets darker when submerged under water. I assume it's cause, light doesn't travel through water that well. Adding the red tea, and the caustics (the shiny white swirly stuff in the water) to it, lighten up the body. So, I'll have to fix it. But, I think I got a good thing going for the water now. I'll link a pic. The steam is a good idea. I'm not sure how I'm gonna paint it, but I guess I'll have to practice studies of it to figure it out.
    Attachment 2296980

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Benitez View Post
    For the reflections of the ligth on the water, try to use a hard brush, not a diffused, maybe 2 or 3 tones on that water or tea, take in count the shadows of the body at the deep zone of the cup. Try to use a different brush for the hair, the skin, the cup, that would help to the composition.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the "take in count the shadows of the body at the deep zone of the cup". But...I think I just added that yesterday.
    I have been using a different brush for the hair, skin, and cup. I do my best to vary the texture with each material I'm working with. Pic isn't finished yet though, so there is still room for improvement I think.
    As for the composition, I haven't linked the full pic. Just part of it. But I'll give ya a sneak peak of what it looks like. I think the composition looks alright. But, I'm not sure what to add to the background. (The square frame around everything, is what the composition will focus on)
    Attachment 2296979

Thanks
    The advice is about the shadows behind the girl's back, as it is under the left arm with more contrast, but if you have added it, don't worry. I can't see the image from the link, hope you can post more of the process later.

Thanks
    Ah ok. I thought that's what you meant.
    Darn, I was wondering why my image wouldn't show up. This website gets really glitchy sometimes when I try to edit things or make posts. But, I'll keep people posted on this thread. I'm almost done the painting. So, I'll hopefully post it later today or tomorrow. Then I'll ask for more critiques again lol. It's hard to tell when a painting is finished, or when it needs improvement, or when I should just move onto the next painting.