Thanks

Please critique (environment artwork)

Need some help and more eye on where/how to improve. Also i include an external link too, the artwork is huge and the downscaled version looks weird. Thanks!
    https://www.deviantart.com/cm2d/art/...lace-757522218
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by C0M; August 2nd, 2018 at 03:53 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yo. I'm still new to enviro design, but here's some thoughts:

• The floating stones: you're whitening them up as they recede into the background (because of the snow), but I'd lean towards making them bluer in this case (because of atmospheric perspective), since you've got more sky than snow in the air.
    • The palace in the center feels too close to the top edge of your frame, I'd move it down
    • That second light blue tower to the right of the central palace feels awkward positioned directly above that stone, I'd move it right / left. Also, if you want the center palace to be the most important thing here, I'd move this second lighter tower down more.
    • Right below the main palace, is that a mountain or a snowstorm? Or both? It's a little formless and unclear right now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

C0M

Thanks
    This is what they call "fried egg" composition. Off center your elements and overlap near objects over distant ones. Keep your distant objects light and gradually get darker as you near the foreground. There are three reasons for this. First, atmospheric perspective tends to make things all similar in value the further away you get. Second, the dark in the foreground frames the image and keeps the eye's attention in the frame( so make sure you have enough dark for a frame.) Third, the dark also adds subtle depth in your viewer's head-space as though they are standing there looking out over the scene. Fourth (bonus reason!) because it just looks good.

You'll want to do the same with your colors as well. Cool colors recede and warm colors come forward.

Obviously, you can break these rules, but they do help considerably.
    I put this quick guide together. Hopefully it's partially...legible? Well, you know what I mean.
    Name:  colorflow.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  314.9 KB
    This principle of color flow can be used in various ways multiple times in your paintings. For example I could make the moon/sun blue and the make the middle candle flame cyan, and the nearest candle flame could be green. It's just another way to re-enforce depth and add interest. These are all pretty extreme examples, but I think it helps to define what I'm talking about more than subtle variations would.
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

C0M

Thanks
    @diamandis
    Well it's not snow, those white things are more like particles floating in the air i use these to create a windy / in motion feel (so the artwork feels more dynamic?), but maybe they are confusing. About the floating stones' colors i always choose my colors like this on porpuse, i like them and i get an insteresting palette. (?) (like red/blue) (yellow/dark puprle or blue)
    But you're right about the other things i think.
    Where, right below the main palace is the cloud and some more tower blending into the clouds.
    Thank you so much for the comment and for the advices!
    Last edited by C0M; August 3rd, 2018 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    @David_a_ray
    Well this project had some practice porpuse mainly doing things what i am not confident enough (vegetation, buildings) and i am constantly trying to give depth to my works but it looks like i am doing something every time wrong. Maybe you can see that the closest ones (stones) to the center tower are very light and the two (on the right side and on the left side) are pretty dark. But i think it's did not make the job (good enough)?
    And yes, the foreground is darker (because of that attention porpuse) (that part is in shadow). But it's not dark enough?
    Thanks for this quick guide image, i'll try to implement it into my works.
    And thank you for the advices and for the comment!
    Last edited by C0M; August 3rd, 2018 at 12:08 PM.