Thanks

gabel's sketchbook

hi everyone

it has been close to four years since i started my first sketchbook (now abandoned) here on ca.org and i felt like it was time for a new one rather than reviving the old.

i am an aspiring illustrator/concept artist and student, while working part-time. though i've made some progress over the years my current body of work is not strong enough for a professional portfolio, which is ultimately my goal.

that being said, i am happy to give and receive critique of any kind. thanks for having a look at my sketchbook!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gabel; 1 Week Ago at 06:52 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    so i started working on a mood shot for a little personal game project, where the player enters an abandoned cathedral-like building. like a university or something.
    i started with a composition of random shapes and colors, cropped out compositions within that big mess, and started building a scene from there.

choosing numbers 4, 9 and 10, i tried to skip a detailed drawing and just continue painting.

starting with nb 4 this led to mixed results. i spent about 7 hours on the painting and i wasnt to happy with it, so i decided to go for a line drawing anyways, which i am currently working on.

i included the sketches of numbers 9 and 10, hope this does not get confusing.

Thanks
    That construction drawing is a preety good.
    I would say that you should seek more value clarity with you shapes in your thumnails,when I squint
    I can't recongnize anything which is not that good for thumbnails,you tried to do some exploration with pattern and color
    but I would say 3 or 4 value thumbnails would be a way to explore strong compositions at this point.
    good luck though!
    Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

Previously Graypersona

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ShinyGray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyGray View Post
    That construction drawing is a preety good.
    I would say that you should seek more value clarity with you shapes in your thumnails,when I squint
    I can't recongnize anything which is not that good for thumbnails,you tried to do some exploration with pattern and color
    but I would say 3 or 4 value thumbnails would be a way to explore strong compositions at this point.
    good luck though!
    thanks a lot! this is something that i probably (should) know but absolutely underestimate.

i went back to the thumbnails, some changed more, others less. far from perfect but a little clearer?

Thanks
    also, life figure drawings from wednesday and a pencil sketch which i did on the go

Thanks
    Sorry for the slow updates, currently on vacation. Doing not so recognizable ballpoint studies

Thanks
    architecture's on hold for the time of vacation . but heres a little samurai sketch. i think that i was exploring a fast and effective workflow (going from rough to final as quickly as possible, while making the right decisions). but that didnt quite work out, not super with happy the result
    Last edited by gabel; 1 Week Ago at 07:16 AM.

Thanks
    couple of weeks ago i wanted to do a futuristic racing concept. did some quick thumbnails, and form exploration. from there on a 3d model in blender. here i got sidetracked and tried to do something like a cinematic shot, which didnt work out because i had no clear idea of the story i wanted to tell (after all i just wanted to do a vehicle concept).

the final concept could be enhanced by some close ups and alternate views..

Thanks
    And a sketch for the driver, pencil sketch into Procreate, a little different approach