Thanks

Suggested Imrovements and critiques please.

I was asked to do a family type portrait as a gift for my sister-in-law. How can I improve on what I have now? (I don't have time to redo it all). Are there any mistakes that I don't see that I can fix? (crooked eyes, mismatched eye shades etc.).

This has been a lot of work, many restarts but most importantly lots of learning. Now that it is done I can focus more on improving my basic skills.

The last pic isn't very good, my granddaughter has bad ADHD and you can't get her to stay still long enough to get a picture with good lighting, a smile and her looking at you all at the same time. The pic I chose had some dark shading on the left that I'd didn't put in cause I thought it might be a detractor.

I'm also considering doing some pastel shading around each portrait to make them stand out more. No idea if there is a color that might be best suited to do that.

I have 11 days before I head to California so I can make changes up until then. I greatly appreciate any and all suggestions comments feedback and critiques.Name:  family portrait 1.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  144.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    For me it looks like proportions and base locations. That being some of the eyes are askew, looking the wrong way, shaped incorrectly, etc... adn placement relative to head, nose, etc.

The mouths stand out a ton, but that could be corrected if the faces had more shading to them and better outlines.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Learn about construction, Proko has good videos about Loomis construction and features

Thanks
    Tyvm. I especially appreciate the specific feedback. I often am told to study Loomis and construction but that always leaves me wondering what specifically is wrong.

Thanks
    Thanks for the specific feedback . This will help my progress .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krys View Post
    Tyvm. I especially appreciate the specific feedback. I often am told to study Loomis and construction but that always leaves me wondering what specifically is wrong.
    Specifically, it's that you haven't taken the advice. Not that doing so now will help you in this specific instance.

If you're not certain what color to use, don't use any. Mixed media and uncertainty in your final project are never good. Fire and shame always come next. At least, you always hope there's fire. Sometimes it has to be enough to know that the sun will expand and destroy everything you weren't able to get.

If you still want to make the characters *pop* a little more, just take your pencil and shade a dark patch around each head. Just make sure that it's darker than the part of the head that it's next to. Test this first to see if you like the effect by drawing a circle with some eyes on it first. You don't have to shade around the whole head. You can just make a dark shape like a square or something and place it behind the part of the head you want to emphasize or draw attention to.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    As is, this could be improved with darker shading on the noses, especially the undersides and the nostrils, and also some shading for their jaw lines. Their mouths and eyes are very harsh and so it looks quite odd that it is not balanced with equal emphasis on the nose. Google "Ingres Drawings" and pay close attention to where he places emphasis with value. Portrait #1's eyebrows do not match at all.

The reason why people keep referring you to Loomis is because it does not look like you are understanding the structure of a face. The eyes in particular look pasted on because they are askew from each-other and they are askew from the other features. It does not appear that you are thinking of eyes as round forms, it seem like you are thinking of them as flat planes. Loomis provides a method where you can begin to understand the structure of the face and the placement of the features. It gives you a road map to follow and it can be applied to any portrait you choose to do. Instead of adding features one by one, hoping they'll all line up properly, you lay in the Loomis guidelines first. It makes the placement and angles of the features so simple. You can tell a lot quicker if you've messed up with proportions and placements if you start with a Loomis base. You should give it a shot! Once you get comfortable with it, you can adapt it or simplify it to your liking. It will make your portrait work faster and more efficient and probably a lot more fun.
    Last edited by Grumpysaur; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:12 AM.

Thanks
    Tyvm I understand. I started this before I studied Loomis and I was afraid to change Midway. I guess I felt it's better that I approach them all the same way.
    Thanks David for the advice I'll try that.

Thanks Grumpy for the link , explanation and advice. I will be working on these while on my vacation and hope to be able to progress now that this project is complete.