Name:  fox.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  103.6 KB
    Final work.
    Name:  fox art.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  108.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Irina2d; 1 Week Ago at 09:53 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    While I like this picture and find it adorable, the first aspect that throws me off is that he looks a bit chubby. I know foxes do look a little chubby with all their fluff, but his face in general just looks a little too wide.

The white markings are different from the actual shape. In the picture below, the white is not curved when it starts from the snout. It is a kind of square shape. It seems where the square shape is, the markings are following the the cheekbones of the fox. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure which part of the skull it is following. But basically, the markings need to follow the form of the fox. The white on the fox isn't just one smooth line, there seems to be two parts of it. Also, if you think that the snout overlaps the face in a front view, then it would make sense for the white on the face not to be visible descending into the white on the snout. The white on the snout is more curved as well.
    Name:  Animals___Wolves_and_Foxes_Red_Fox_in_the_snow_088015_.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  49.1 KB
    I know this wasn't used as a reference, but I just wanted to use picture of a fox also from a front angle to help you. I know that even if it's another front view, that it doesn't mean it can be used really rigidly. So, I can't really say that just because in this picture the inside of the ears look yellow you can't make the inside of the ears of a fox white, because this is just indivdual lighting in the photo. In most pictures of foxes, the inner ear is white. So I will try to use other photos of foxes as well.

It might help you to add a brow to the fox as well, they have kind of small round brows above the eye. But overall part of the forehead of a fox projects a little, and the fur is different there.

The ears look a little short. While I think wolves have shorter ears, I think foxes have longer ones, along with coyotes. Putting those ears at a slight angle should help too. Don't forget to add black to the ear too. I don't know what it is, but in the picture there seems to be part of the end of the ear sticking out too, so the ear isn't just a smooth line. The ears are looking a too bit curved as well, but they are curved in reality. The inside of the ear needs a little work too. If you think about the form of the ear of a fox, they're kind of like half of a cone. But a cone with not as much volume in it. If you imagine a sheet of paper curved a little bit at both sides (I tried this with a post-it note lol), that's kind of what I mean. In the photo I posted, look at that smaller less fluffy strip at edge of the inner ear, between the darker part of the ear and all the fluff. That's basically the curve of the curved paper, where the form of the ear gets closer. There is a lot of fluff in the ear of a fox, but there some of the actual inside of the ear visible too.

What may be making the face of the fox too wide is there seems to be a lack of indication of the bottom of the face of the fox. I think the addition of the square part of the white marking I mentioned would help you define the bottom of the face more.

Try to think about the fur in clumps, don't try to draw every hair. Try to think about the direction of the fur. I know the fur is shorter on the face, but try to add a few clumps of fur on the neck where it is longer. I get that highlights can show some single strands of fur, but I think you need to define the fur overlapping or in clumps on the neck. Don't make the strokes of fur random either, make them follow a direction.

A little more texture to the nose may help too. The nose looks a little too shiny or smooth in your image. I think like a dog's nose a fox's nose would have lots of little bumps. I would be contradicting myself to say draw every single little bump, but I think you may be able to convey it with lighting. In lighter areas, the texture of the bumps will show more, I think.

Here is a fox nose up close. I guess what I called bumps actually look like little scales. There is also a line inbetween the nostrils. And the nose isn't entirely a round shape, if you look at the top edges, they are angled. There is also another line at the top of the nose coming from the nostril. The top plane of the nose looks to be curved as well.

I think the gap between the nose and muzzle may need to be shorter.

I think the eyes may be a slightly different shape, at least in the picture I posted they look round at the ends and more pointed on the other side. The eyes of a fox are very slightly upturned too, it shows better when they shut their eyes or they bow their head though. I think the tear ducts in a fox are a bit bigger and not like those of a human. They look in some lighting to be a little pink, but mainly they look black. They are like triangles, and then there is that band of black around their eye, like in this.

My overall suggestion to you is to focus on working on your sketch more before you jump into all the detailed rendering. Spend some time on it, and think about the different 3D shapes that roughly make up what you're drawing. Guidelines of 3D shapes can be massively helpful when you first start your drawing. E.g, for a fox, you could sketch a sphere for the head, and an angled box or cylinder for the snout. For the neck, you could stretch a sphere into a spheroid. This video helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

This website is incredibly useful for learning perspective and how to break up your drawings into forms and into 3D shapes:
    http://drawabox.com/

Keep working hard and you will get better and better, I promise. If you want, start a sketchbook here so we can help you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolves1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What you could also do is study some fox skulls so you get better understanding whats going on under that thick fur and skin make sure you think structure from link that Wolves provided

Thanks
    Thank you for your comment.

Thanks
    Thanks for your extensive comment. I will take into account your recommendations
    Last edited by Irina2d; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Irina2d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey. Just want to apologize for my imperfect English. I really helped your comment. I made a rough sketch with all the changes that you told me and would like you to look at it. Now I will detail it, but first I need to know the correct way to stick to the proportions of the fox. In advance thanks for the answer.
    Name:  fox.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  351.2 KB