Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

So I've read that MB is creating a new forum. Anyone have any more details?

Hi everyone. I saw the awesome news that Massive Black is going to be creating a new forum. Sounds like it will try to bring the early days of Conceptart.org back with a lot of major artists participating in the community. I'm excited.

Wondering if anyone know more...?

Here's the original facebook post.

The sun is down, but the day is not done! After much demand we’re jumping in on the forums!
    Over the next few months, we will be building a comprehensive forum that will allow users to share their art and ideas and get valuable feedback/ critiques from other working artists. There might be some familiar faces from online forum post and some new ones too!
    Thanks to all your information and suggestions we’re making it better, stronger, faster. It’ll have all the great features that you love and nothing you don’t So I've read that MB is creating a new forum. Anyone have any more details?.
    Stay tuned for more info.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 1,019 Posts
    And why exactly is MB going to succeed while they failed earlier, not caring rats asses about conceptart.org?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    The main reason pretty well most of the pros left, was a personality clash (I'm being polite here) with the owner. Even the pros miss a good forum - facebook is shit for that kind of stuff. From my understanding there will be a paid subscription and a free part. If any of you think putting a forum together is easy, let alone running it, let me tell you it isn't. Even off the shelf stuff needs tweaking, permissions for different users, spam catchers put in etc etc. I know all the mods, old and current, have been approached in helping and I don't believe anyone said no.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I know all the mods, old and current, have been approached in helping and I don't believe anyone said no.
    I didn't say yes either, as I was not approached.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks

Thanks
    Do you know if there is going to be any kind of activities like dsg, chow, cow etc.?

Thanks
    I think it was probably the ones they knew from the old days.
    Looks like it's gonna be Jason + clique.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Looks like it's gonna be Jason + clique.
    Except it's not. This has nothing to do with Manley at all. I don't know where you are getting your info from.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tenebrae View Post
    Except it's not. This has nothing to do with Manley at all. I don't know where you are getting your info from.
    Well, its reassuring that Jason will not be involved. He still claims to be the owner of conceptart.org, but I see he is no longer ruling Massive Black.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    They have been introducing mods of new forum in their facebook, Elwell and Britt Newstead (aka Daestwen) have been announced

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    Well, its reassuring that Jason will not be involved. He still claims to be the owner of conceptart.org, but I see he is no longer ruling Massive Black.
    They had a parting of the ways several years ago.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 635 Posts
    Interesting, this is good for the online art community. More forums = better than Instagram, IMO.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    I feel like social media is more you post -> visible you are, and this had led beginners to post rushed work and not taking their time on it, it can be good for other stuff like networking??? dunno

Thanks
    i dont know. this forum would have worked well, as it was in its oldest state, and considering that most changes changed it for the worse in the past, i dont know how to feel about that one. (some threads here were real gems, like the painting one el coro started and drdarrow gave feedback, pretty much junk without the pictures now. or ron lemens portrait mentoring thread, sigh.)

if manley is gone for good, i appreciate that, though.
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    But he's still here paying the server bills when I remind him - the forum is down is a big hint. Personally, I don't have anything against Jason other than he has neglected the Level Up course he set up here.

When we upgraded the VB to the latest, pretty well all all the images got lost. I know there is an old backup somewhere, but as he won't send it to me, I can't restore them. I saved my SB and a couple of my friends before the upgrade. I would suggest that you all save all the pages you love as there is no guarantee that they'll be there tomorrow. I have saved a ton of threads and will be saving more when I have time. It's a shame I didn't do it before the upgrade.

The MB forum needs a ton of work and is still in alpha testing.

I would love to say I'm optimistic about the future here, but I can't. As long as the forum exists, I'll do my work here to my best ability. Currently, I feel that there is little in the way of discussion and asking questions - this used to cement bonds between members as we did ask the big questions. Now it's all FB, twitter or Instagram, where it is all an echo chamber. There is currently an interesting discussion in Fine Art. This used to be a place where artists could disagree politely and people could change their minds without it being held against them. I want that back, but I'm not sure it'll be here.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There is currently an interesting discussion in Fine Art.
    You mean this one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=333007

Thanks
    Actually, this used to be a place where we'd violently disagree and still not hold it against the other person. I remember having many heated arguments with certain members, and guess what? I'm friends with them on FB.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm friends with a top fine artist on FB mainly because whenever he blocks someone, I friend them. If you want this place to survive, stop being an echo chamber.

Thanks

Thanks
    But he's still here paying the server bills when I remind him - the forum is down is a big hint. Personally, I don't have anything against Jason other than he has neglected the Level Up course he set up here.
    if you remember the meltdown in 2013, theres a lot more to that [edit]in my opinion[/edit]... id be happier, if those of us who care, find a way to financially support this without him. id gladly support a patreon or other sub model to make that happen. not with pay to see content or similar shenanigans though.

[edit2]this has been a nonprofit thing in the beginning, and its been what its been mostly due to people beeing engaged in it. people with skill, i mean the big guns been posting here regularily... the big fights have always been about decissions towards monetisation.
    its been a community effort all along. if the bills cant be paid just let us know (the bill on that cant be that exuberant), but please for the sake of the original spirit, keep this opensource[/edit2]
    Last edited by sone_one; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:31 PM.
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    I sure do remember the melt down in 2013 plus the one before that when the Lounge got deleted in a fit of temper. I did ask on FB about doing a GoFundMe to buy the place; I'd done a huge cash flow projection etc. Getting the pros to take over the course here, expand it and get paid for it. The problem is that most of them feel that's there's too much baggage on the forum from the meltdowns. Also Jason wanted miles too much for it; the value is in all the backlinks pointing here from other sites. It may have started as a non-profit, but it needs money to run and currently, the Level Up course is not bringing much in due to neglect. It hasn't been non-profit for years.

While the MB forum is pretty, it doesn't have content. I'm not sure how long it will take to create any sort of community. While I hope it will do well, I still love this place and will fight for you lot as long as I'm allowed.

Thanks
    While the MB forum is pretty, it doesn't have content. I'm not sure how long it will take to create any sort of community. While I hope it will do well, I still love this place and will fight for you lot as long as I'm allowed.
    I expect this to take years, with the possibility it will never happen...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    You have no idea how many of the old pros yearn for a forum but won't come back here because of Jason.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have no idea how many of the old pros yearn for a forum but won't come back here because of Jason.
    I do have an idea...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I do have an idea...
    Can you share it with us?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    Can you share it with us?
    Yes. I have an idea of how many of the old pros yearn for a forum but won't come back here because of Jason.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    lol bit misunderstanding from my part sorry about that one

36. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so there has to be a way then to organize this without him. i dont think people would worry about switching to a different ip. to me and a lot of others C-G-H-U-B (see? this is just redicilous, its still censored if written [ ], pathetic) was the place to go, yet it died while the fight here was still going on.

he just cant keep a whole community hostage, because it has to be CONCEPTART.ORG... why not move on, if its the best option?
    i dont necessarily care about the label conceptart.org... i care about what i learned here and the people that made up this community. if it takes place on xyz.wtf im ready to move.
    Last edited by sone_one; 1 Week Ago at 06:58 PM.
    Glen Orbik

Andrew Loomis

38. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    Things are moving along with the alpha testing. Over the weekend, word wrapping issues and multi-page thread overload issues seem to have been resolved. They are still working on some image uploader related bugs and private messaging still needs work. They need some edit buttons that work.

I see progress pretty much every day. It is going to be nice when they get it going.

Edit for stonec: Yes, there will be activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast