Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    my attempts to become a good artist

    I started painting about 2 months ago , I am originally a 3d artist and have always felt I was missing a very important tool, so here are my attempts to become an artist.
    feel free to drop any kind of notes and suggestions .

    thumb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12345666.jpg 
Views:	1755 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2295093
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ear4 (1).jpg 
Views:	1749 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	2295094
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin-head4.jpg 
Views:	1743 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	2295095
    Last edited by AJD; September 11th, 2018 at 07:37 AM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bru4.jpg 
Views:	1307 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	2294982

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reflecions6_2.jpg 
Views:	1308 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	2294981
    Last edited by AJD; July 12th, 2018 at 02:50 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJD For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	2295098
    Last edited by AJD; July 12th, 2018 at 06:46 AM.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    first likeness study done using zbrush

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-weewewewes.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	2295284

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Michael C Hall?
    Come say Hi! I could always use a boost.

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...r-s-sketchbook

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    yup

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    You must show more of your 3D work! I love Dexter to bits and immediately knew who it was the moment the page loaded.

    I don't really work with 3D much myself, only having watched a few tutorial series on a couple programs on YouTube, so the only advice/thoughts on your recent study I can give you is that the hairs on Dex's cheek are a bit sparse and a bit too bold (very thick and the ends don't seem to be tapered). Same thing with the lashes. They take me out of it, so to speak, as they draw so much attention that the rest of the sculpt is kind of sitting in the background. I'm not sure what you can do to make these hairs finer, more abundant, and glossier, but I think refining them in the future is something to consider. As for the pros of your work, I like the strong use of texture and the subtle blending you achieved between the different faces/sides. Those eyebrows look awesome, and tbh you have that likeness down. If you decided to go further with the piece, that would be something I'd love to see.

    As for your other, more older works in this sketchbook, they are very technical. The eye especially so, with your thumbnail being the most thought provoking and emotional piece so far. Being technical is not a bad thing at all, and is not surprising at all given your 3D background. As your first foray into painting this will only become more apparent as you progress, so if you can marry both your technical side and your feeling (emotional? moldable? fluid? adaptive? It's hard to find the right word) side then you will definitely make waves in art! You have a great advantage in that you have much more experience in handling the art itself, knowing how it looks at all angles and in different perspectives, something traditional artists tend to struggle with since we're so used to just drawing from what we can see- filling in the blanks of what we don't see by guessing, drawing from experience, using references, or replacing the blanks with something different altogether.

    My last thought to you is something a teacher told me long ago, which is if something doesn't make sense to the viewer, or if something just doesn't work, then you're better off transforming it or leaving it out altogether in your works. Go for aesthetics over complete accuracy, basically, if you had to settle for one or the other.

    I hope that helped! Excited to see more.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post
    You must show more of your 3D work! I love Dexter to bits and immediately knew who it was the moment the page loaded.

    I don't really work with 3D much myself, only having watched a few tutorial series on a couple programs on YouTube, so the only advice/thoughts on your recent study I can give you is that the hairs on Dex's cheek are a bit sparse and a bit too bold (very thick and the ends don't seem to be tapered). Same thing with the lashes. They take me out of it, so to speak, as they draw so much attention that the rest of the sculpt is kind of sitting in the background. I'm not sure what you can do to make these hairs finer, more abundant, and glossier, but I think refining them in the future is something to consider. As for the pros of your work, I like the strong use of texture and the subtle blending you achieved between the different faces/sides. Those eyebrows look awesome, and tbh you have that likeness down. If you decided to go further with the piece, that would be something I'd love to see.
    thanks alara!
    most of my 3d work can be found here in my instegram https://www.instagram.com/ajed042/ though most of my 3d works are hard surface, ^ the likeness was my only organic thing I have done to be hounest.
    you are right about the hair, I have used fibermesh tool which is responsible for the hair distrbution on surfaces, however it wasn't rendered out, these shots are just screenshots taken out of the preview window, otherwise when rendered out most of your notes will be seen. I have done this piece quite sometimes ago, going to have to dig my hard drives to find it, but yeah I will try to have some work done on the hair and skin shading and rendering .


    Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post
    As for your other, more older works in this sketchbook, they are very technical. The eye especially so, with your thumbnail being the most thought provoking and emotional piece so far. Being technical is not a bad thing at all, and is not surprising at all given your 3D background. As your first foray into painting this will only become more apparent as you progress, so if you can marry both your technical side and your feeling (emotional? moldable? fluid? adaptive? It's hard to find the right word) side then you will definitely make waves in art! You have a great advantage in that you have much more experience in handling the art itself, knowing how it looks at all angles and in different perspectives, something traditional artists tend to struggle with since we're so used to just drawing from what we can see- filling in the blanks of what we don't see by guessing, drawing from experience, using references, or replacing the blanks with something different altogether.
    well noted!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post

    My last thought to you is something a teacher told me long ago, which is if something doesn't make sense to the viewer, or if something just doesn't work, then you're better off transforming it or leaving it out altogether in your works. Go for aesthetics over complete accuracy, basically, if you had to settle for one or the other.

    I hope that helped! Excited to see more.
    much appreciated alara!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lig2.jpg 
Views:	1001 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	2295861

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Name:  T.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  139.1 KB
    wip

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Name:  Base-skull.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  rebone11.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  115.5 KB

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD View Post
    Name:  T.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  139.1 KB
    wip
    this with a better shader
    Name:  1k.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  72.0 KB

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Name:  20181005_21f2452.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  188.9 KB

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    ,


    Name:  20181005_212t355.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  124.4 KB

    blocking stage
    Name:  a-start.jpge.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  135.0 KB

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    a concept
    Name:  cru3.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  73.1 KB
    Name:  cru.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  63.0 KB


    ]

    Name:  dinner.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  98.9 KB
    I feel like working without a reference make you fall into the same mistakes, at leaset that is the case in my current level, so I am going to have to do a dozen of photo studies in the upcoming posts

Similar Threads

  1. SketchBook: brass attempts to get good
    By Brass in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 12th, 2014, 05:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 25th, 2012, 02:18 AM
  3. Replies: 55
    Last Post: February 27th, 2010, 02:37 AM
  4. SketchBook: MERDMAN's attempts to get good! PLEASE HELP(some nudes)
    By Merdman in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Members who have read this thread: 30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.