Thanks

my attempts to become a good artist

I started painting about 2 months ago , I am originally a 3d artist and have always felt I was missing a very important tool, so here are my attempts to become an artist.
    feel free to drop any kind of notes and suggestions .

thumb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12345666.jpg 
Views:	1755 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2295093

Name:	ear4 (1).jpg 
Views:	1749 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	2295094

Name:	pin-head4.jpg 
Views:	1743 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	2295095
    Last edited by AJD; September 11th, 2018 at 07:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Name:	Bru4.jpg 
Views:	1307 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	2294982

Name:	reflecions6_2.jpg 
Views:	1308 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	2294981
    Last edited by AJD; July 12th, 2018 at 02:50 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJD For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	2295098
    Last edited by AJD; July 12th, 2018 at 06:46 AM.

Thanks
    first likeness study done using zbrush

Name:	Untitled-weewewewes.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	2295284

Thanks
    Michael C Hall?
    Come say Hi! I could always use a boost.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...r-s-sketchbook

Thanks
    yup

Thanks
    You must show more of your 3D work! I love Dexter to bits and immediately knew who it was the moment the page loaded.

I don't really work with 3D much myself, only having watched a few tutorial series on a couple programs on YouTube, so the only advice/thoughts on your recent study I can give you is that the hairs on Dex's cheek are a bit sparse and a bit too bold (very thick and the ends don't seem to be tapered). Same thing with the lashes. They take me out of it, so to speak, as they draw so much attention that the rest of the sculpt is kind of sitting in the background. I'm not sure what you can do to make these hairs finer, more abundant, and glossier, but I think refining them in the future is something to consider. As for the pros of your work, I like the strong use of texture and the subtle blending you achieved between the different faces/sides. Those eyebrows look awesome, and tbh you have that likeness down. If you decided to go further with the piece, that would be something I'd love to see.

As for your other, more older works in this sketchbook, they are very technical. The eye especially so, with your thumbnail being the most thought provoking and emotional piece so far. Being technical is not a bad thing at all, and is not surprising at all given your 3D background. As your first foray into painting this will only become more apparent as you progress, so if you can marry both your technical side and your feeling (emotional? moldable? fluid? adaptive? It's hard to find the right word) side then you will definitely make waves in art! You have a great advantage in that you have much more experience in handling the art itself, knowing how it looks at all angles and in different perspectives, something traditional artists tend to struggle with since we're so used to just drawing from what we can see- filling in the blanks of what we don't see by guessing, drawing from experience, using references, or replacing the blanks with something different altogether.

My last thought to you is something a teacher told me long ago, which is if something doesn't make sense to the viewer, or if something just doesn't work, then you're better off transforming it or leaving it out altogether in your works. Go for aesthetics over complete accuracy, basically, if you had to settle for one or the other.

I hope that helped! Excited to see more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post
    You must show more of your 3D work! I love Dexter to bits and immediately knew who it was the moment the page loaded.

I don't really work with 3D much myself, only having watched a few tutorial series on a couple programs on YouTube, so the only advice/thoughts on your recent study I can give you is that the hairs on Dex's cheek are a bit sparse and a bit too bold (very thick and the ends don't seem to be tapered). Same thing with the lashes. They take me out of it, so to speak, as they draw so much attention that the rest of the sculpt is kind of sitting in the background. I'm not sure what you can do to make these hairs finer, more abundant, and glossier, but I think refining them in the future is something to consider. As for the pros of your work, I like the strong use of texture and the subtle blending you achieved between the different faces/sides. Those eyebrows look awesome, and tbh you have that likeness down. If you decided to go further with the piece, that would be something I'd love to see.
    thanks alara!
    most of my 3d work can be found here in my instegram https://www.instagram.com/ajed042/ though most of my 3d works are hard surface, ^ the likeness was my only organic thing I have done to be hounest.
    you are right about the hair, I have used fibermesh tool which is responsible for the hair distrbution on surfaces, however it wasn't rendered out, these shots are just screenshots taken out of the preview window, otherwise when rendered out most of your notes will be seen. I have done this piece quite sometimes ago, going to have to dig my hard drives to find it, but yeah I will try to have some work done on the hair and skin shading and rendering .

As for your other, more older works in this sketchbook, they are very technical. The eye especially so, with your thumbnail being the most thought provoking and emotional piece so far. Being technical is not a bad thing at all, and is not surprising at all given your 3D background. As your first foray into painting this will only become more apparent as you progress, so if you can marry both your technical side and your feeling (emotional? moldable? fluid? adaptive? It's hard to find the right word) side then you will definitely make waves in art! You have a great advantage in that you have much more experience in handling the art itself, knowing how it looks at all angles and in different perspectives, something traditional artists tend to struggle with since we're so used to just drawing from what we can see- filling in the blanks of what we don't see by guessing, drawing from experience, using references, or replacing the blanks with something different altogether.
    well noted!

My last thought to you is something a teacher told me long ago, which is if something doesn't make sense to the viewer, or if something just doesn't work, then you're better off transforming it or leaving it out altogether in your works. Go for aesthetics over complete accuracy, basically, if you had to settle for one or the other.

I hope that helped! Excited to see more.
    much appreciated alara!

Thanks

Name:	lig2.jpg 
Views:	1001 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	2295861

Thanks
    Name:  T.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  139.1 KB
    wip

Thanks
    Name:  Base-skull.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  rebone11.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  115.5 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD View Post
    Name:  T.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  139.1 KB
    wip
    this with a better shader
    Name:  1k.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  72.0 KB

Thanks
    Name:  20181005_21f2452.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  188.9 KB

Name:  20181005_212t355.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  124.4 KB

blocking stage
    Name:  a-start.jpge.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  135.0 KB

Thanks
    a concept
    Name:  cru3.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  73.1 KB
    Name:  cru.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  63.0 KB

]

Name:  dinner.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  98.9 KB
    I feel like working without a reference make you fall into the same mistakes, at leaset that is the case in my current level, so I am going to have to do a dozen of photo studies in the upcoming posts