Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    I think i'll paint a bit more this one for the final. But i've to think about "Dying forest" in the design
    Name:  CHOWDYINGFORESTDRYAD02.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  73.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to gdlr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Moirae
    You're certainly right about the balance, I've noticed that as well during the work and fixed, at least to a certain degree, in the final. Looking back I am a bit bummed out I havent thought about putting the hair the way it is in your suggestion #3, that looks really good, even if it contradicts the motion of the dryad running forward a bit. Legwarmers were there as an inspiration as to where put some mass, they came through in the form of the fur above the hooves.

As to your sketch, it probably makes sense in your head since you know where you want to go with this, though I'm having a hard time figuring out what's happening with her left arm, and what those repeated rings are going to be. I like the silhouette a lot though and the fact that you've got the repeated aggressive forms of sharp triangles going on both as part of the actual character and in her pose and the negative space by her legs.

@Lege1
    Yup, the leg looks much better now, and the phototexture parts feel more integrated with the painting, good job addressing these issues.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paintsmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And i'm at this step for the moment.
    Name:  CHOWDYINGFORESTDRYAD04.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  90.1 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gdlr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey! It got busy in here!

I'll try to give some feedback - but I'll have to be quicker than I usually am!

Lege1 - Nice work on the revisions!

cope2k - That's a cool looking design - nice work on the drawing. Should be a good one when it's finished.

PutHaKyun - I really like the design work on this - you've obviously put thought and care into it. The flat line in the background looks a bit unnatural though. The rain effect could maybe be more effective - perhaps if you used multiple layers with fewer particles. That could also work well with some lighting effects e.g. light shafts breaking diagonally through the trees.

Paintsmith - Nice work on the drawing (again!). I think it might be worth playing a bit more with the colouring. I do like your graphic approach though - it worked very well in your rusted knight piece.

gdlr - I like the energy in your initial sketch. I think some of that has been lost with the colouring - mainly because the hair is obscuring the torso. The whip of the hair does have a nice flow though. Perhaps if the hair was on the opposite (far) side of the body you could have the best of both?

Moirae - Nice dramatic angry pose - she looks vicious! I think it might be more imposing if we were looking up at her, but probably a bit late in the day for that now.

Well - I suppose I should share my work in progress. I keep meaning to, but my process is quite organic (i.e. inefficient and convoluted) so I keep wanting to fix and adjust things, and it just goes on and on...

I'm really jealous of those who can do a nice clean line art - I keep meaning to try, but then I get carried away and start painting. But I always regret it later...

Here's a few snapshots of my progress. The last one has a couple of quick adjustments added to the colour and value to indicate where I'm headed with it.

All feedback is welcome - my eyes are pretty tired now! I won't have much time to work on it tomorrow, but should do on Sunday.

Name:  ForestDryadWips1.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  248.4 KB

Name:  ForestDryadWips2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  189.6 KB

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mythmaker: Thank you very much on the good words. You're piece is coming a long great. I like the pose and over all look, although I would probably keep the original hairstyle you had going on in the wips; I feel that hairstyle is just more lively and native like with an island dreadlock kinda look. I like how the image is out of focus in the back ground and more towards the bottom of the dryad, then as you work your way up to the face everything becomes more hard edged, saturated, defined. I really like the lighting alot on this piece too, but I do find myself fighting with not being overly focused on the bright green area of vegetation below and trying to focus more on the face. All around great work as alwasy and looking real nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Paintsmith: Thanks man, I'm glad you are feeling like that towards my piece, you see it's been quite the adventure for me with this one,lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice stuff here guys! Keep up and make it to the final!
    Here is some sketchy ones from me. Still didn't found the design i would be happy with, but here is some approaches.

Name:  lineup.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  132.6 KB

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raganosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Minor update. Thanks again to eveyone for the feedback!
    Name:  20180703_DyingForestDryad_05.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  78.5 KB

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PutHaKyun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ragnosis: Awesome stuff there and I'm liking the far left and right a lot. I'd coin toss and render out =)

Puthakyun: Great work there man! The subtle color really brought things together that much more. Seems like the arms could be a tad bit longer but whatever, it's a tree,lol. Looks awesome!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thx for your suggestions Mythmaker but i chose to no represent her chest. The viewer can imagine what he could look like according to his tastes. On top of that i preferred to focus on the design elements that will bring the theme rather than the body of the dryad.
    But your advices are wonderfull in all cases .
    Name:  CHOWDYINGFORESTDRYAD05.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  94.7 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gdlr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    gdlr: Looking very good. I'd really like to see more of some face anatomy there is possible, just a friendly request from your fellow chowy. I like the colors and pose and all that.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback Mr Legend - That's stuff I can make use of!

I wasn't really happy with the hair myself, so your comment pushed me to play around with it last night. I think it's looking better now.

I've got a lot of refining to do, so the image should look more consistent in detail/clarity by the time I post it (cue furious painting session... )

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're very welcome Mr. Mythmaker, and that is great. What you have already looks great, so I'm sure what you come back with is going to be pure awesome. Enjoy the journey of refining your image no doubt.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After several colour schemes I had to just pick one and run with it. Here is what I have so far. That meant to be a toxic mace of poisons / mushrooms and thorns on her arm.

Name:  tree2wips.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  231.9 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Moirae: Came out real nice and I feel bad for whoever get's hit by the toxic mace,lol. That's a very cool concept that the thorns would open the victims flesh for the poisons to be administered into the blood stream. I also like the black branches and over all atmosphere. I like how you were able to pull this character off with little detail in the face and without having to draw hands and feet.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After looking at the rules for final submissions it didn't look like this was finished enough to make the cut. It was all I had time for but it is kind of finished so I thought I'd post it here anyways. It was good for exploring digital brushes and colors. Would love to hear feedback if anyone's seeing it. Thanks for an interesting concept.Name:  dryad final.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  116.9 KB

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostart4 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2