Thread: Police Bust

Thanks

Police Bust

Hi everyone!

I tried to do my best here, but now it is time to get another pair of eyes to see what could be done to improve this image. For this personal painting, please share with me whatever critics you may have, whatever you feel is wrong.
    lighting, colors, composition etc...

Cheers,
    Name:  paulboutros_police_bust_wip.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  188.8 KB

the image is wide and I had to scale it down a bit too much so it fits the width of the page without being cropped out.

For better resolution:

Name:  paulboutros_police_bust_wip_bigger.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  185.4 KB

or
    https://trello-attachments.s3.amazon...e_bust_wip.jpg

Thanks,
    Last edited by paulboutros; July 1st, 2018 at 02:26 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 996 Posts
    The composition is messy, with no attention to focus or guidance for my eye. Your crop works better than the original.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the car is throwing me off.. as in too over reflective.. Same with the cop car the center. I have yet to find a beat cop car that well painted or waxed.

The guy in the bottom left looks oddly large for it all. Though I have to wonder - was the glass shattered out to in or from the guy hitting his head on the inside.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    The composition is messy, with no attention to focus or guidance for my eye. Your crop works better than the original.

Thanks, I will probably go with your cropping suggestion. As for leading the eyes( toward the suspect ), I though I had some lines that will help do so. But maybe I don't fully understand how it works. Here is what I meant...
    Name:  leading_lines.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  143.3 KB
    also numbered the characters for better referencing.
    Last edited by paulboutros; July 3rd, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    I think the car is throwing me off.. as in too over reflective.. Same with the cop car the center. I have yet to find a beat cop car that well painted or waxed.

The guy in the bottom left looks oddly large for it all. Though I have to wonder - was the glass shattered out to in or from the guy hitting his head on the inside.
    Yes, I can have a version with toned down reflections for those cars... The guy in the bottom left you mean the dead guy? yes I was thinking about shrinking it down at 90%.
    As for what happen to him, my initial idea was that he was shot through the windshield, as a result fell off and this is why there are many glass debris going inside the car and upon him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulboutros View Post

Thanks, I will probably go with your cropping suggestion. As for leading the eyes( toward the suspect ), I though I had some lines that will help do so. But maybe I don't fully understand how it works. Here is what I meant...
    Give me one natural path for my eyes. In your cropped version, your path works a lot better, but it makes me miss the characters on the right and left, and it shows me you focus too much on the car.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Alright, I had time today to do some paint over. The dead guy is 10% smaller, and I did some work on the Lamborghini reflection. Basically I made the various reflection shapes bigger and overall less noisy.

Still not sure how to improve the eye-path issue though... maybe the OL car reflection could have shapes that leads the eyes toward the suspect but..I don't know, maybe there is an other way around.

Please, let me know if this is getting better, and what else you guys think could be improved

Cheers,
    Name:  paulboutros_police_bust_wip_v2.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  178.9 KB
    Last edited by paulboutros; July 10th, 2018 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
    Looking better toning down that reflections.

The guy could still be smaller.

Side question - if this car's window was shot from the outside in.. I am guessing there may be a few missed shots in the hood and what not.

Is this a two seated car with no trunk or backseat? That back end seems super short.. and I am not certain what that chunk is coming perpendicular to the car door to the bottom left is.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    Looking better toning down that reflections.

The guy could still be smaller.

Side question - if this car's window was shot from the outside in.. I am guessing there may be a few missed shots in the hood and what not.

Is this a two seated car with no trunk or backseat? That back end seems super short.. and I am not certain what that chunk is coming perpendicular to the car door to the bottom left is.
    I appreciate your helpful comment and I worked on all the point you mentioned. That perpendicular object was one of those traffic warning spring post that the car may have hit accidentally... To answer your question, it is a 2 seats car, also I think you suggesting the missed shots ideas is pretty cool.. Thanks.

Thanks
    Ok so after all the cool suggestions, this is what I have and I am still open to critics of all kind.
    Name:  paulboutros_police_bust_wip_v3.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  206.4 KB

Thanks
    Really nice work!

Re: feedback: it's looking good to me now, but if you wanted your focal points to stand out even more, increase their value contrast (and/or the amount of detail there, or the color saturation, or a bunch of other little things--but value (light vs dark) is the most important). Decrease value contrast / detail in areas that aren't focal points. Here's a paintover GIF that cycles between before and after. I wouldn't necessarily go this hazy w/ the enviro background, but you get the idea: https://s8.postimg.cc/sylf7vcw5/paul..._paintover.gif

16. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diamandis View Post
    Really nice work!

Re: feedback: it's looking good to me now, but if you wanted your focal points to stand out even more, increase their value contrast (and/or the amount of detail there, or the color saturation, or a bunch of other little things--but value (light vs dark) is the most important). Decrease value contrast / detail in areas that aren't focal points. Here's a paintover GIF that cycles between before and after. I wouldn't necessarily go this hazy w/ the enviro background, but you get the idea: https://s8.postimg.cc/sylf7vcw5/paul..._paintover.gif
    Hey Diamandis, thanks a lot for the explanation and for the great paint over. I think I get the idea, so here is what I have now.. on top of that I did some extra paint over.
    Thanks again, and let see if anything else can be improved. I have two versions, one with more highlight on the center/closer cop like you suggested, the other without because for some reason it seems to work out as well... I don't know...

Name:  police_bust_paulboutros_com_v14.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  180.2 KB

Name:  police_bust_paulboutros_com_v15.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  180.0 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to paulboutros For This Useful Post: