2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @edgarej - I really love how you use colors so courageously

RIP moose

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Trixstar. That vibrancy only seems to work in my sketches though. Once I start doing fully rendered illustrations, I have to start toning down the saturation because it starts to look wonky. I guess it's something I have to work on. But yes, I'm really digging this recent vividness in my sketches.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I chickened out when it came to drawing a dead moose. It depressed me too much so I tossed the sketch. Here are my cop-out offerings. The Dead Moose Band! Coming soon to a lodge near you!

Traveling Band
    Name:  Traveling Band.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  418.0 KB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viktoria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarej View Post
    Thanks Trixstar. That vibrancy only seems to work in my sketches though. Once I start doing fully rendered illustrations, I have to start toning down the saturation because it starts to look wonky. I guess it's something I have to work on. But yes, I'm really digging this recent vividness in my sketches.
    I think you should use color picker more, don't just mix it together on canvas, also be mindful of usage of grays against more saturated colors and how colors change depending on where its surrounded master studies are wonderful way to study these, you can even study how to render if you please
    Last edited by stonec; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:47 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @stonec... i've been meaning to watch that video forever. thanks for reminding me. Thanks for the tip.
    @viktoria... is that vector or a raster?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    edgarej- Not really sure what you mean? If you're asking where you can get the patterns or bear or whatever, then the answer is nowhere. I draw all my stuff from scratch. I hate using someone else's work in my stuff unless I'm collaborating. If you're asking what the style is, then I would have to say it's a mixture of vector and traditional. I have a tendency to lean that way when doing quick digital art. I like playing with shapes and colors and layers. I'm not really sure what raster is. I looked it up and it looks like pixel painting, which I've never done intentionally though I have been known to zoom in and fix tiny details a square at a time.

Thanks
    @viktoria... raster graphics would be photoshop, painter, etc while vector graphics would be illustrator, inkscape. I was just wondering what software you used. So did you start out traditional on this piece, scanned it in, and finished the rest in the computer? If so, I was just wondering what software you used essentially. Your art looks very much like it is vector graphics. If it is vector graphics, how long did it take you? I'm super slow with vector graphics, and that's why I don't like doing it. Plus doing vector graphics doesn't have the feel of "painting/sketching." Vector does not feel natural for me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    edgarej- Ah, I understand now. Most of my drawings start out as quick sketches in pencil that I scan into my computer. I'm more comfortable with that since for most of my life I've done traditional drawings and paintings. From there I use photoshop cs6. I use the original sketch as a guideline, most of the actual work is done digitally though I sometimes keep pencil/pen shading if I can work it in properly. It's hard to answer how long it takes me becuase I end up doing a great amount of trial and error with the color layering. The longest time lost is to the clean up to get those crisp edges and clean colores/shades.

I'm not very happy with the bear drawing, it just looks too unfinished to me. I'm still working on it. I worked on the drawing in three separate sessions. All added up I would have to say about five or six hours total. It requires very precise and controlled movements. I use two types of custom brushes and the eraser, switching sizes constantly. The zoom function is a must to get right up in there. It's very fiddly painstaking work, though if you can get into the right mindset then its very zen. Except for the crippling hand pain when you resurface.

I actually really like drawing vector style since it's faster than the traditional stuff I do and it's bold and stylized, but it certainly feels and looks unnatural. The final product never really shows the serious effort it took. I'm not really great at explaining things in words. If I knew how to record myself drawing in photoshop then I would do a session on how I do what I do. That would make things so much easier. I guess I could upload a step by step diagram of what I do, but just the effort and logistics of it makes my brain hurt. Maybe if it's a small drawing? I don't know.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viktoria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    He was a noble beast...

Thanks
    I like it. This is the "Daily Sketch" thread so I don't think you need to feel obligated to post finished polished work. IMO this thread is to help you stay in the creative process think, draw share move on to other things etc... If you happen to make something worth polishing up for your own purposes later etc... go for it, but I feel it's true usefulness is in that it isn't meant to be finished illustrative works it's just a kickstarter for your creative juices. That's my two cents anyway. Love the designerlyness of your work with the crisp edges and patterns etc... Well done.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sseal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @edgarej - "Sketches" is relative... Do you have any specific goals you wanna take this towards, colorwise? I think it might just come down to broader range of values and you will get away with a lot of colors and style like this?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  PolarBearTransport.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  457.8 KB

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sseal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @trixstar, yup you pretty much stated a goal that I realized I should strive for; retain the vividness of my image while having a broader range of values.

Thanks
    DSG 2651: Polar Bear Transport Lugs Dead Moose Back to Camp

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StefanoGuseli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So when you mean you really like drawing vector style you actually mean you just like the style that vector graphics make but you don't really do vector graphics? IE, when you draw a line you don't click on points, you draw it out with a pen right? Because that's what vector graphics is to me, instead of drawing, you make shapes by clicking on vector points (that's why it doesn't feel natural for me).

Thanks
    edgarej- That's exactly what I mean. Just a normal drawing made to look like a vector in some ways. I tried going true vector and found it to be very boring, but my faux-vector style is fun and has a lot more freedom to it. My graphic design class was actually what got me into it. I had to make a bunch of posters and other promotional covers without using any premade graphics. My traditional art style wasn't cutting it, so I simplified and made the lines, colors, and shading bold and distinct with a surreal flavor to the background consisting of shapes and textures. I'm still figuring it out, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks
    @viktoria - I am so glad we are now in the same page, lol. I was just so confused as to how you did it. I love the style viktoria, I love it very much.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post: