Thanks

JayDee's Sketchbook

Hey all, my name is Jaylene Deane and I've decided to put my big girl pants on and try, really TRY to make art my living. I want to wake up in the morning and have creating pay the bills. I laid down some dolla on Dave Rapoza's eyeball knight tutorial and after listening to him for around 15 hours now, and the similarities between us growing up, interests and filling school books with sketches instead of math problems it really hit me in the face that there was no real reason why I couldn't be doing what he does. Sure I have always known that of course, but it was purely intellectual. But I really FEEL it now. I'm not entirely sure what this journey will really look like but i'm going to start plodding. I love storytelling and my dream when i was a kid was to be a professional cartoonist, so i will aim for that. So if you every read this Dave, thank you so friggen much. There has of course been much more to it than that but watching him work and listening to his spill, it's the straw for the camel's back.

So enough about me for now, I will just upload my most recent stuff. I don't have a scanner so i'll just be putting up the cleanest phone photos i can. Feedback of a technical nature is very welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Name:  sketch 02.jpeg
Views: 1446
Size:  210.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by JayDee; July 1st, 2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: to learn how to edit posts :)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome, great start. Take a look http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-Body-Contact) go to last page he got started here Do you have any studies to show
    Last edited by stonec; June 30th, 2018 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    Hey stonec thanks. just checked out Dave's sketchbook it's very inspiring to see how far he's come. The only study I have at the moment (don't tend to keep my artwork, something to change) is a main character concept for a planned short comic, 10-12 page story, writing, inking and colouring it up. My goal is actually finishing something as i never 'complete' any artwork.

if you have any suggestions for studies to do that would be helpful for you guys to give some feedback i'm all ears. anyway my first few sketches. I'm working on other characters today.
    Name:  sketch 06.jpeg
Views: 794
Size:  62.6 KBName:  sketch 07.jpeg
Views: 787
Size:  360.2 KB

Thanks
    I think you are rushing with marks and forms http://drawabox.com/lesson/1/lesson/en how much are you doing research and using reference, is he/she mushroom farmer, there are lot of different shaped of those just like with anything else http://www.muddycolors.com/2016/10/r...and-google-fu/ then there is pinterest, tumblr etc. which gives different result, you just have to keep eyes open
    Studying from life is important as you can see forms, values and colors better than in photos, but photos can be used for things that you can't get access to as long as you are constructing, all I can say is study perspective from link earlier, How to draw from scott robertson as well other foundations such as anatomy (human,animal), values and color and composition. Also you can plan your studies when you hit wall so you can get around it as well do studies different thing as well and more importantly have fun with it also take a look critique section, post if you cant figure out how to improve.