Ok master, I noted the crit. No photo ref from now on until I feel confident to use it.
Few notes from Mentler pages
- It seems that avoiding planes that are parallel to the edges of the page suggest more movement
- Technique is a tool not an objective
- Never change the course of a line until you have to.
- Never change the plane of a form until you have to.
- Never change the tone/value of a color or from one color to another until you have to.
- Every change must count and count strong.
- A line/value should have have a past, present and future. There should be a unity of line and mass and the rythm and vitality of life.
- To have ideas one must have imagination...
- To express ideas one must have science.
- Find the of the drawing then draw it.
- The real stuff of drawing or painting is the design of the darks and lights. Value is valuable.
- There is only room in your mind for one idea of something. Grasp it and draw it.
- Don't try to draw a ribcage or a pelvis. Draw the shape, the form, the planes and the values.
- Don't break up the big darks and lights... Breaking them up destroys form.
- You learn more doing the same thing different than doing different things the same.
- Never fire your shot. Power is the real strength. Don't give all, have reserve.
- Do the simple things and do them well. Do the obvious first.
- Refuse to see details.
- If the major form units are in the right relationship the drawing is almost done.
- If the major masses are in the right place, it takes very little to create form.
- Keep the lights together and the darks together.
- If the foreground is well done the distance will take care of itself.
- Shadow first then light.
- Hatch values from large to small.
- If you have not studied the shoulder gridle and the pelvic gridle you will have trouble with life drawing.
- In general value relates to angle... There are of course exceptions.
Last edited by adiere; May 10th, 2006 at 02:18 AM.
looking good mate. I wanna see more face studies and quick gestures though. proportions lacking sometimes.
Great last study.
keep to it!