Thanks

ilgar's sketchbook

thumbnail update
    >>>Hi, I'm Ilgar and I will post my progress here, critics would be greatly appreciated.

these are some eye studies from Loomis book and a Russian book

ilgar's sketchbook

ilgar's sketchbookilgar's sketchbook

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vodka0021; July 5th, 2018 at 11:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    today I did some nose studies, the second one is some studies after Sargent, I did this in graphite, Do you have any tips on sketching with graphite?
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    Name:  623Fbd8.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  163.8 KB

ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook

Thanks
    I had this problem lately with the big shape and lay-ins, I always get lost in details, seeing that big shape is a problem for me, so I tried to get my lay-ins more accurate with some Bargue studies and also photographs I didn't render some of these since my goal was to train my eye and get that big shape accurate, I did these Bargue studies bigger than what I see (comparative measurement), I did some sight size in past but I think it's limiting, when it comes to drawing bigger than you see it gets more difficult, I would be glad if I get some tips and critics and what is your lay-in process?
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Slow down, you're missing many subtle points!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    what points? can you point them out?

Thanks
    Hey dude, it's cool that you're doing Bargue plates, I've never tried them but I heard they're really helpful for learning the form.

As said before, I'd say as well you'd benefit from slowing down. I was told here it helps to ghost the line a few times as well, and drawing a pen can help with slowing down. Speed doesn't really matter, it's all about spending as much time on a picture as you can to draw it with your best effort.

I like the shading on your first plate, btw.

I'd say you are getting most of the angles right or nearly right, but you missing out on quite a few of the slight angles compared to the reference. E.g. in the last picture you didn't draw the tips of the mouth going downwards like in the ref, or on the ref compared to your drawing the angle of the nose is a bit more outward. You gotta get the angles of the cast shadows right too, and the big shapes.
    Put your pencil to the reference, and move the pencil to fit the angle of the line you're drawing. Drawing an envelope may help with getting the larger shapes right, this video teaches about measuring which may be helpful but it also teachers about how to do an envelope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDGO0LssEM When measuring with your pencil, you can also measure to see if something is the same size as something else. E.g the forehead on the 4th ref is the same size as her philtrum, lips and chin/lower part of the face under the nose. In the 2 nd pic, her hair is the same size as the side of her face.

Some of the pictures you seem to be focusing on the cast shadows rather than form. While light and shadow is important always remember that getting the lines right too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolves1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your useful feedback, now I can see some of my mistakes, I never tried to see if something is the same size as something else, I will use this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vodka0021 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sargent master study, I had problems with the likeness but it was fun to do

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tJbDd6E.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	2294329
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HpvL0sQ.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	2294330

Thanks
    I did some head lay-ins today and yesterday, I'm doing these to train my eye and get more accurate, they took me like one hour and I couldn't get exact likeness for each of them, I think my lay in lines get muddy but I'm trying to be more direct
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    And some eye and ear studies from Bammes and Vanderpoel
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey Vodka! I'm liking these sketches, especially your master study and face number 5. I think you're doing well!

If you say you're having trouble with likeness, I always found that looking at individual proportions can help with that. Mostly people have approximately the same proportions, but it varies a little. Some people for example, have slightly closer together eyes, slightly further apart eyes or sort of equally apart eyes. Some people have wider noses or thinner noses. I honestly think you're getting most of the proportions right, but I think it would help your master study if you made the shape of his face rounder, and the top of his head rounder. Don't forget to try and get the curves right. I found that I get a curve right if I draw the multiple angles making up the curve in the lay-in. To give you an example of what I was saying about proportions before, some physical characteristics I would of the master study say is that he has a longer ear, round eyebrows, a kind of wider forehead and a kind of wide nose. I might say he has slightly close-set eyes and a shorter nose.

I hope this helps and if I said anything unclear feel free to ask me about it. Overall your hard work is paying off and your drawings are pleasing to look at. Keep it up!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolves1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wolves, man thank you for your great feedback, I will apply these to my next drawings, now I can see my hair shape is off on master study, I think hair has gives a person lots of character. when I started head drawing I was not using Loomis method because I was scared that rule of thirds doesn't ring true for any head, but for these, I used it as a springboard and I developed the head after that, I think that works really well.
    I have problems with the initial lay-in, my lines get messy, I try to be more direct but first lines are always wrong, is it natural?
    I also have heard that some great artists like Sargent exaggerated a lot to achieve a likeness, how is that possible?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vodka0021 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Head lay-in
    ilgar's sketchbook
    Some Loomis studies, I have some problems with extreme angles
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    Lip studies and some jawbone studies with tooth cylinder on top of it
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook
    ilgar's sketchbook