Thanks

Drawing or painting classes?

Hi,

I'm able to take art classes in my free time in a few months, and I was thinking of taking both drawing and painting classes. I want to do these drawing classes because I really want to learn the basic techniques in a good way, and the classes teaches academic drawing, and it would be for 7 years.

However, I also can choose to do painting classes, also for 7 years, but I can't do both drawing and painting since the classes are at the same time, unless I do painting on another hour, but the teacher of the painting class at that hour doesn't really give traditional painting but more abstract but that's not really what I want to learn. I would prefer to do drawing classes first to learn how to draw well since drawing is also the basic of painting, but then I have to wait a long time before I can do painting classes (till I stop with drawing classes basically, after 7 years).

The problem is that I want to apply to art school at the end of next year, and I already need to have a few paintings in my portfolio to be accepted to get in that school (don't have to be very good paintings, the level of the school isn't that high, and I'm not sure if I even want to go there since they focus more on abstract art), but I never painted before, and without taking painting classes I think it'll be very difficult to make paintings on my own.

I can go for the more abstract painting classes just to learn how to handle paint, but I'm afraid those abstract lessons will mess up my drawing techniques and I'll feel very unhappy there. My main goal is to have a good drawing technique first and draw very well, and then learn how to paint. I just don't want to wait 7 years.

I was actually wondering what is most important to take lessons in? Would it be possible that I learn myself to paint while taking drawing lessons, or should I take painting lessons while learning myself to draw (I don't think this is a good idea?) or should I take drawing lessons together with abstract painting?

If someone has advice what would be best for art education, I would love to hear it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I have a hard time believing you need 7 years to learn the basics of drawing/painting: what course is this? Also, what art school do you want to apply to?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I have a hard time believing you need 7 years to learn the basics of drawing/painting: what course is this? Also, what art school do you want to apply to?

It'a a part-time art academy more for people who want to do art as a hobby, you don't get a degree from it, and it's only 8 hours a week. I don't necessarilly have to do 7 years, but if I want to be good at figure drawing, I should at least do 5 years. And the drawing/painting is more a practical problem in my schedule and a lack of teachers who want to teach traditional drawing and painting methods, but it's still hard to choose.

I want to go to art school for higher education in Belgium because I need a degree here, but I'm not very enthusiastic about Belgian art schools, and I think that I'll learn more if I do 14 years art courses in that part-time art academy than that I go to a Belgian art school for higher education. I still have at least a year to decide what I should study to get a degree, but actually I'm so disappointed with the art education here that I'm considering to just learn to draw on my own and go working, if it wasn't so important to get a degree at least, and I don't know how to start drawing in a good way.

Thanks
    For the love of God do the drawing class! Don't waste 7 years learning to splatter paint around. You will need help learning to paint, but I doubt you'd find what you need in the abstract class anyway. I'm extremely dubious of it. Painting is 90% drawing. The knowledge of pigments and color is important, but let me put it this way: if you can't draw a face that is in the right proportion with pencil and paper, you wont be able to do it with a paintbrush. Just like if you don't know how to walk properly, running's gonna be a bit of a problem for you.
    Last edited by JoeCowan; June 27th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks
    You should know what you are after, if you want to be a concept artist or illustrator or realist fine artist then abstract painting classes are total crap, don't do my mistake I didn't have any information on how artists train so I was going to university, I left when the first term ended, 6 months wasted, they just say express yourself, I think you need to go to an atelier for real academic training, you can also try Watts atelier online which is really great

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vodka0021 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    For the love of God do the drawing class! Don't waste 7 years learning to splatter paint around. You will need help learning to paint, but I doubt you'd find what you need in the abstract class anyway. I'm extremely dubious of it. Painting is 90% drawing. The knowledge of pigments and color is important, but let me put it this way: if you can't draw a face that is in the right proportion with pencil and paper, you wont be able to do it with a paintbrush. Just like if you don't know how to walk properly, running's gonna be a bit of a problem for you.
    That's what I thought. I applied for the drawing classes today, and hope that I'll learn there what I need, and hopefully I'll be able to do painting classes in the future. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vodka0021 View Post
    6 months wasted, they just say express yourself
    Only 6 months? That's not so bad. I'm embarrassed I didn't see through that crap right away.

Thanks
    in my country everyone goes to university, I mean everyone! they go to university to become illustrators or fine artists but they never get something out of it, just a useless degree! people think if anyone learned something it's because they have gone to university, so I don't get any respect for my studies from family or friends, the funny thing is once we had a live model class and they were lighting it with 10 LIGHTBULBS!

Thanks
    I think even realistic art have abstract side to it but without foundations of realism its worthless, dont think you need 7 years of education and student loans to learn about abstraction

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vodka0021 View Post
    the funny thing is once we had a live model class and they were lighting it with 10 LIGHTBULBS!
    I had the exact same experience! Literally 10 lights. More if you count the overhead lights and window. I finally complained about this and actually got yelled at. I also mentioned once that students should learn to draw form and the instructor seemed confused as to what that meant.

So yeah I totally agree with stonec's video that art isn't about drawing the right nostril. All art is abstract in a way. But I think we've all had common experiences that make us skeptical of certain kinds of art education that are often just ignorant of the fundamentals.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    How many lightbulbs does it take to change one artist?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks