Thanks

Problem with getting the big shape right?

Whenever I start a head drawing from the eyes and radiate out from there, I get proportions more or less right, I start with a stump for blocking in the shadow shapes surrounding the eye, and then I go for detail and make my way from there, These are some of my studies
    Name:  drawing.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  205.4 KBName:  20180621_184522.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  139.4 KBName:  20180621_184408.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  265.5 KB
    but whenever I start with the biggest shape (envelope, silhouette) and then the thirds I can't get it right, in other means I can't construct the head I'm drawing, and all the information I learned including Reilly abstraction and Loomis and head planes remain useless, and I see most of pros start like this, they get the overall shape, from generic to details, and at the end it's a good drawing, whats the problem with me, how can i get the big shape right?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,591 Times in 4,544 Posts
    Pencil, surprisingly, can be a bit unforgiving. Try charcoal. Until you have blocked in the shape correctly forget about the details. You're going to have to do loads of them to get anywhere meaningful. Also use a program where you can overlay your drawing with the original and see where you are making the mistakes. Do not start with the eyes, start with the head working general to specific. If you don't you'll only learnt to be a photocopier, not an artist. It's not going to happen overnight, but practice makes perfect.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 984 Posts
    How about giving an example of your approach?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I think I have said at the top, maybe you mean images of the process?

Thanks
    thank you,
    but how do you get that big shape right? I mean it's really hard for me to find placements inside that big shape, I have this feeling that if the big shape is a little bit off everything will be also, I have tried this with charcoal, maybe I'm OCD or something but details are going to kill me

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Thank you for the video and all your help, but actually I have watched Mr Huston's course, he is really a great teacher, I took some notes and I have memorized the method, problem is whenever I lay in the overall shape I get lost in my lines and can't find smaller shapes within it and all becomes a mess, I will try again using a mirror and will post results, today I searched more for this and I think I should squint more

Thanks
    Squinting is good for separating light from dark. Good luck, and I hope to see an update

Thanks
    Thank you for suggesting to use a mirror, it's really a fresh eye, I tried some Bargue drawings and some drawings from photographs, I didn't render most of them since I was trying to get that big shape right and be accurate, I started with envelope then blocking in with straight lines and I was checking myself constantly, sometimes it takes me 1 hour to get really accurate with layin and even after that I change some placements when I'm blocking in shadow shapes and rendering, is this normal?
    I have posted these in my sketchbook thread, I would get happy if I get some critics, thank you
    www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/331950-ilgar-s-sketchbook